1.2.5 was special, wasn't it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
Why don't the modders just choose an MC version and mod on that? They could get everything out, and have a full, complete modpack. They would update every other version or so.
all I want is horse to honest in ftb I even made stable that has the name buttery wings on it

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
Why don't the modders just choose an MC version and mod on that? They could get everything out, and have a full, complete modpack. They would update every other version or so.

I believe that's what's happening right now, many major mods have just updated in 1.6.2. But if modders want to maintain their "status", they'll have to update eventually.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019

Because the mere suggestion makes a subset of the community foam at the mouth that mod authors aren't "keeping up", even if they are providing new content. It's a minority, but it's a vocal one (check the FTB reddit sometime and you'll see some of them).

(Side note: I've deleted a few posts just now. "ur dumb" and "no ur dumb" aren't contributing much to the discussion.)

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Sometimes I consider 1.2.5 to be our "Golden age" It had so many mods that we don't have anymore. It was nice, beautiful and wonderful. The reality is that the 1.2.5 to 1.3.2 conversion was our dark age. It took bloody frikking forever. It was hard, and most modders could not get around it so they just gave up. Look at mo' creeps and weirdos as an example. Or RP2. They just gave up for a while.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Sometimes I consider 1.2.5 to be our "Golden age" It had so many mods that we don't have anymore. It was nice, beautiful and wonderful. The reality is that the 1.2.5 to 1.3.2 conversion was our dark age. It took bloody frikking forever. It was hard, and most modders could not get around it so they just gave up. Look at mo' creeps and weirdos as an example. Or RP2. They just gave up for a while.
To comment on the hate for mojang making it hard to update mods in a timely manner. I think that's just how things will be now (Not that its a new thing minecraft has had pretty timely updates since it started) only the fastest will survive kind of ordeal. In the future you might see more mods like Xycraft where they skip a version or two just so they can expand their mods and add new things to it.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
RP2 didn't "just give up for a while," based on what I've read. 1.3 was an update of truly gigantic scope, and broke pretty much everything, including almost everything about RP2. It broke so bad that, if I remember correctly, Eloraam had to, more or less, create RP2 from scratch come 1.3. A mod that huge is going to take a pretty long time to recreate. Hell, look at EE3: its been around since, what...1.4.7? Its still not done because the plans for it are huge and Pahimar, like every other mod maker out there worth a shit, has a life to tend to.

Honestly, I'm all for skipping updates. I'm seriously considering skipping 1.7 for mine because, quite frankly, Mojang is releasing too damned many updates too damned fast for my tastes. It feels like they barely give any time for the updates to get so much as a few serious bugfixes before they're working on "the next big thing." They're too obsessed with adding more and more shit, instead of making the shit they have work better. The new 1.7 biomes look really nice, I'll grant ya that, but getting rid of static item IDs? Honestly, that's something they should've done during 1.0 or even before then because the system in use now is, to put it bluntly, stupid and inflexible. Then again, they probably didn't expect the game to garner as many mods as it has; I've not seen a game with nearly as many mods as Minecraft's gotten in the past year or two.

I've found vanilla to be dull for a while now. The new stuff in 1.5/1.6 was nice for about a week or two, but I grew tired of it pretty easily because it was all kinda shallow. The mods add a great deal of necessary depth to Minecraft, for me. The only reason I enjoy playing vanilla with my girlfriend is that I've got her along for the ride; otherwise, I'd be bored within an hour and would move on to something else that's more engaging.

Reactions: Whovian and Bigpak

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
RP2 didn't "just give up for a while," based on what I've read. 1.3 was an update of truly gigantic scope, and broke pretty much everything, including almost everything about RP2. It broke so bad that, if I remember correctly, Eloraam had to, more or less, create RP2 from scratch come 1.3. A mod that huge is going to take a pretty long time to recreate.

An excellent reason to cease making these monolithic mods that try to do everything from add decorative blocks to having both an item transport and an unassociated power network all thrown into a single mod. Particularly in a single developer time resource, where all the easy 99% gets held up by the 1%

Hell, look at EE3: its been around since, what...1.4.7? Its still not done because the plans for it are huge and Pahimar, like every other mod maker out there worth a shit, has a life to tend to.

He's not done with it because he got married and chooses to not dedicate a huge portion of his life to it. Similarly, TE, etc.

I'll grant ya that, but getting rid of static item IDs? Honestly, that's something they should've done during 1.0 or even before then because the system in use now is, to put it bluntly, stupid and inflexible.

And the "new" won't work well with modded minecraftl. In particular, once a mod is added to a map it can never be removed.

Reactions: Pokefenn

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019

the problem is getting all the modders to agree to do this, and agree to which version. It would be very nice I agree, but I can't see this ever happening.

Reactions: immibis

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

I wouldn't quite call it giving up. But some good news More Creeps and Wierdos is getting an update.[DOUBLEPOST=1378678879][/DOUBLEPOST]
And it sucks.

Constructive.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't quite call it giving up. But some good news More Creeps and Wierdos is getting an update.[DOUBLEPOST=1378678879][/DOUBLEPOST]

Constructive.

Well I'm sorry if I don't see the point in an addition to minecraft that dozens of mods have already done, the community had pretty much agreed was pointless, and is only going to be used for five seconds before dropping it and going back to modded minecraft.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm sorry if I don't see the point in an addition to minecraft that dozens of mods have already done, the community had pretty much agreed was pointless, and is only going to be used for five seconds before dropping it and going back to modded minecraft.

I don't think the community agreed it was pointless. Think about the amount of people and young children who don't play modded MC, they probably really look forward to the next update. And remember Mojang have no need to care what the community thinks as long as they know people will still play their game in one form or anouther. I don't see why you think the opinions of yourself and the people you talk to make up the entire community, but thank you for finally making an effort towards contributing.[DOUBLEPOST=1378684688][/DOUBLEPOST]
calling a fish a fish may not be constructive either, but it is just as true

But calling what some people perceive to be a banana a fish is neither constructive or true, it's merely problematic and baiting. So I bite.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Just because vanilla people care about vanilla updates doesn't mean the Mojang can go and use that (knowingly or not) to kill off mods in the name of faster updates.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

thewindmillman

Jul 29, 2019
it's hardly fair to bash on mojang for their update content, or their speed for that matter. the thing is, the vanilla community is quite large, and that is who they have to take care of. mods are a second thought. the vanilla audience likes the fast updates, it keeps the game fresh for them. and the content? really, what HASN'T been added by a mod by now?

Reactions: Whovian

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
it's hardly fair to bash on mojang for their update content, or their speed for that matter. the thing is, the vanilla community is quite large, and that is who they have to take care of. mods are a second thought. the vanilla audience likes the fast updates, it keeps the game fresh for them. and the content? really, what HASN'T been added by a mod by now?
Kick-ass fighting games with action missiles.