[1.10.2] Simply Magic 2 [Magic][Quest Tutorials][Light]

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
=============================Read All===================================
This is the BETA TESTING PORT of the listed 1.7.10 pack Simply Magic found here: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...magic-hqm-magic-light-tutorial-themed.139841/

Feedback is greatly appreciated and will accelerate the development of this pack. So thank you ahead of time!

This pack is available on the curse launcher - Simply Magic 2:
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/simply-magic-pack-2

420x200splash.png

Like the original, Simply Magic 2 plans to cover and provide tutorial lines for many magic mods. A small bit of what you can expect in the official version:
  • Embers
  • Botania
  • Ars Magica 2
  • Roots
  • Goetia
  • Blood Magic
  • Runes of Wizardry
Additional mods will be added as the continue to port over from 1.7.10

If you choose to assist in the development of this pack(and I hope you do!), please keep the following in mind:
  • This is likely unstable.
  • Mods may be removed/added at any time
  • Do NOT report bugs to mod authors. Report them to me and I will report them to their authors.
  • The quest line is not yet implemented. This pack is simply for testing the evolving mod list prior to official development.
  • PLEASE report issues here: https://github.com/Collateral-Damage/Simply-Magic-2

Mods

Changelog
  • 1.10.2 Beta Build 1
Pack code: simplymagic2

Last edited:

Coco12570

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking for a magic pack with intangible in it. No longer shall I search XD.

Keep up the great work!

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Two mods that I use in my own 1.8.9 Thaumcraft game and would recommend - ezStorage and especially Packing Tape. Last one is very simple and helps a lot when you need to relocate your base.

Brizzle

Jul 29, 2019
Want input from those also not on Reddit

"As a note there is a couple TC addon I plan on including(ignore drastic he funny and misses things sometimes :p). One for sure will be Thaumic infusion. As for the others out there (Thaumic Bases, Thaumic Additions, and Thaumic Potatoes) I'm not quite sure. On the surface they don't really seem like TC in spirit. If you have played with these let me know."

Sp3ctral_Surge

Jul 29, 2019
After putting many hours into your simply magic 1.7.10 Im happy to see that you are starting with 1.8 I hope that this one will turn out as good if not better than the last. thx for the hours of entertainment.

Brizzle

Jul 29, 2019
After putting many hours into your simply magic 1.7.10 Im happy to see that you are starting with 1.8 I hope that this one will turn out as good if not better than the last. thx for the hours of entertainment.
I'm sure you will like the little changes mod authors have made and the new magic mods that have come out

goth_child67

Jul 29, 2019
Want input from those also not on Reddit

"As a note there is a couple TC addon I plan on including(ignore drastic he funny and misses things sometimes :p). One for sure will be Thaumic infusion. As for the others out there (Thaumic Bases, Thaumic Additions, and Thaumic Potatoes) I'm not quite sure. On the surface they don't really seem like TC in spirit. If you have played with these let me know."
I have played with the 1.7.10 version of thaumic bases and it adds a few new interesting things. I personally would vote for the addition of that one the other 2 I have not used.

Mechalith

Jul 29, 2019
Well, right out the gate: I hadn't realized how used to being in a cave I've gotten, or how reliant I've been on the two hearts of resistance that Banished gives you for things like dropping off ledges. (Either that or 1.8.9 handles falling damage a bit differently than 1.7.x did.) The now somewhat odd experience of being in a green, sunlit, open area was immediately compounded by a chicken attempting to murder me.

Aura Cascade's Cascading Processor doesn't work to double ore, because there are no ore dust items yet. This was initially annoying, but on reflection it might be something you'll want to keep for the pack because it encourages (forces, really) you to use the Thaumcraft ore doubling process instead.

Speaking of Thaumcraft, I really like what Azanor has done with it and the return to Aura/Taint as an ambient magical field mechanic. Not having to find a node to charge my blasted wand has removed a good 70% of my frustration with early/mid Thaumcraft. (The new research mechanics and the changes to which aspects combine to form things then put most of it back, but I'm getting the hang of it.)

As a note for future quest writing, Abyssalcraft's documentation is a bit partial and because the guide is also an evil mana battery thing it isn't immediately apparent that it's the item you need to start with. Definitely going to be a case where a well written quest line could be very valuable from a tutorial POV.

Intangible's recipes for the circuit press don't currently show up in JEI. Not sure if this is a problem with JEI or with Intangible, but I know from Direwolf20's mod spotlight that it DID work at one point. I was able to find the bits I needed on the project page for the mod, but as I progress I expect that will become less and less true. In-game guide will probably help there.

So far, so good. More as I get to it...

Brizzle

Jul 29, 2019
Well, right out the gate: I hadn't realized how used to being in a cave I've gotten, or how reliant I've been on the two hearts of resistance that Banished gives you for things like dropping off ledges. (Either that or 1.8.9 handles falling damage a bit differently than 1.7.x did.) The now somewhat odd experience of being in a green, sunlit, open area was immediately compounded by a chicken attempting to murder me.

Aura Cascade's Cascading Processor doesn't work to double ore, because there are no ore dust items yet. This was initially annoying, but on reflection it might be something you'll want to keep for the pack because it encourages (forces, really) you to use the Thaumcraft ore doubling process instead.

Speaking of Thaumcraft, I really like what Azanor has done with it and the return to Aura/Taint as an ambient magical field mechanic. Not having to find a node to charge my blasted wand has removed a good 70% of my frustration with early/mid Thaumcraft. (The new research mechanics and the changes to which aspects combine to form things then put most of it back, but I'm getting the hang of it.)

As a note for future quest writing, Abyssalcraft's documentation is a bit partial and because the guide is also an evil mana battery thing it isn't immediately apparent that it's the item you need to start with. Definitely going to be a case where a well written quest line could be very valuable from a tutorial POV.

Intangible's recipes for the circuit press don't currently show up in JEI. Not sure if this is a problem with JEI or with Intangible, but I know from Direwolf20's mod spotlight that it DID work at one point. I was able to find the bits I needed on the project page for the mod, but as I progress I expect that will become less and less true. In-game guide will probably help there.

So far, so good. More as I get to it...

I have played with intangible a bit and all recipes not native to vanilla must be looked up with your knowledge gem. It's possible though that jei addons might add support in the future.

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Updated 0.0.2
  • Added Packing Tape
  • Added Neat
  • Added Dynamic Lights - Disabled by default
  • Added Dynamic Surroundings - Disabled by default

Mechalith

Jul 29, 2019
I have played with intangible a bit and all recipes not native to vanilla must be looked up with your knowledge gem. It's possible though that jei addons might add support in the future.

Might be a good idea to find a good way to get JEI to display directions for making the knowledge gem then, because you can't very well look it up in itself. Alternately, making a note in the eventual quest book would probably work out.

goth_child67

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for in input, anything notable?
The bracelets from it are interesting to say the least. They cant be used for anything other than focus manipulation, but have a fairly nice vis discount for it. I believe iron alone has a ~80% vis cost going up in discount with each tier. The major drawback of them though is they have a tiny storage with iron only being able to hold 10 vis. Other than those I havent really messed with the mod too much but it does have alot of promise as a mod.

Brizzle

Jul 29, 2019
Might be a good idea to find a good way to get JEI to display directions for making the knowledge gem then, because you can't very well look it up in itself. Alternately, making a note in the eventual quest book would probably work out.
Well this is a magic tutorial pack there will be a tutorial on it. I'm actually pretty excited for it. Already writing quests for it despite the fact that there is no hqm yet.

Brizzle

Jul 29, 2019
The bracelets from it are interesting to say the least. They cant be used for anything other than focus manipulation, but have a fairly nice vis discount for it. I believe iron alone has a ~80% vis cost going up in discount with each tier. The major drawback of them though is they have a tiny storage with iron only being able to hold 10 vis. Other than those I havent really messed with the mod too much but it does have alot of promise as a mod.
Thanks a ton