Closed 1.1.0: Rubber tree Sapling

R

RadioMan

Version:

What is the bug:
I recently started a new map and with the latest version the rubber tree sapling you get from putting dirt in the sieve changed to the Minefactoryreloaded one.
In my previous map I got an ic2 one and I think that should be what happens since getting rubber out of a minefactory reloaded tree is impossible without an extractor, but you need rubber to make that.
I am completely lost especially since you need ic2 machines to advance or maybe I am missing the obvious?

Mod & Version:

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
Just get enough dirt through the sieve to get a sapling.

Known Fix:

beaualee

Jul 29, 2019
I think you just keep planting those Ex Nihilo "Rubber Tree Saplings" until it gives you an IC2 one. Apparently, it rotates between them and the MFR one.

R

RadioMan

This is a bit of a bummer, since I find that in the early stages dirt is one of the most expensive early game block in this modpack and it took me 45 dirt to get this sapling, so I cheated a little since I didn't want to use up another stack of dirt to get a chance to get a MFR sapling instead of IC2.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
The 2 rubbers are ore dictionaried in any case and can be used interchangeably. The rubber tree seed you get from sifting will, as said, have a chance to become either mods sapling.

R

RadioMan

This is true, if I got ic2 rubber I can easilly make MFR rubber, but the other way round is a bit more tricky, so far I could only find that you can get ic2 rubber by placing MFR rubber wood or MFR rubber saplings inside an extractor, but you need 6 ic2 rubber to make an electronic circuit to make an extractor.

Well I have choosen the cheaty way, to exchange one MFR sapling for an IC2 one and work with that one for now, like I said in my believe it's way too expensive to make dirt to get it through the sieve to use up more dirt for that, and maybe I will be lucky and my next tree will be an ic2 sapling, but I could be unlucky too and have to wait for another 10 saplings before I hit the jackpot.

R

RadioMan

You need atleast an ic2 compressor to make dense refined iron plates which you can make from steel too, but in a compressor to make any thermal expansion machine block, which is needed for all their machines and for enderio's machine chassis which are also needed inside mfr machines, so you need alot of ic2 rubber pretty early on.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I did all that with mfr rubber. I haven't bothered growing the ic2 ones at all.

EDIT: to reiterate Quetzl's post, they can be used interchangeably.

R

RadioMan

Now I finally see it, damn I feel stupid, I knew how to make MFR rubber out of IC2 rubber, but I never would have found out that mfr rubber could be used instead of the ic2 one to make insulated cables that is.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Now I finally see it, damn I feel stupid, I knew how to make MFR rubber out of IC2 rubber, but I never would have found out that mfr rubber could be used instead of the ic2 one to make insulated cables that is.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I found out - probably saw it on a vid.

R

RadioMan

Yeah I never got into MFR myself, but I feel I have to with this modpack, treefarm from forestry doesn't work, atleast I can't put the saplings in a barrel to produce more dirt because they change the name from an oak sapling to apple oak sapling. Thinking about doing a steve's carts treefarm, because the MFR one seems too pricy early on, probably will make one to do some other gardening.

edit: Switching back to MFR trees, and throw all my resin and rubber into the void that way I won't have the feeling that I cheated.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, all mfr machines require plastic sheets, which in turn needs ender io rocket fuel.

I got a tinkers lumber axe on 2x2 spruce trees, they give a decent amount of saplings to compost.

EDIT: I *think* you can get the vanilla oak saplings back by just placing the forestry version in a crafting grid!

R

RadioMan

Yeah I use the ex Nihillo hammer nowadays to get sawdust which I can compost, but then I loose the wood, so first I need a decent supply of wood which is where I am at, but I like to take things real slow, that is until I make the decission on which path to follow.

edit: No you can't, I tried that, well on the previous version of the modpack 1.0.4 I believe, maybe they changed this?

Last edited:

gijsc1

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I use the ex Nihillo hammer nowadays to get sawdust which I can compost, but then I loose the wood, so first I need a decent supply of wood which is where I am at, but I like to take things real slow, that is until I make the decission on which path to follow.

edit: No you can't, I tried that, well on the previous version of the modpack 1.0.4 I believe, maybe they changed this?

i would advice to rush a sawmill and use the resulting sawdust for composting.
that way you get wood and dirt.

T

Thrasher1237

I know this issue is closed, but use shears on the leaves of the trees, they are great for composting and you still have the chance of getting sapplings when shearing the leaves. I usually got 3-4 saplings per tree and around a stack of leaves. The only downside is if all of the leaves are off the tree, the lumber axe does not see it as a tree and mines only 3 blocks out. And you also get more rubber out of an MFR tree by using sawmill. Instead of sawdust you get extra rubber. Sawmill was the first Thermal Expansion machine I made in my world.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I know this issue is closed, but use shears on the leaves of the trees, they are great for composting and you still have the chance of getting sapplings when shearing the leaves. I usually got 3-4 saplings per tree and around a stack of leaves. The only downside is if all of the leaves are off the tree, the lumber axe does not see it as a tree and mines only 3 blocks out. And you also get more rubber out of an MFR tree by using sawmill. Instead of sawdust you get extra rubber. Sawmill was the first Thermal Expansion machine I made in my world.

About the lumber axe problem, I ran a line of oaks and only sheared the leaves on one side! The lumber axe worked a lot better - maybe not the whole row every time, but I'd only need a couple of swipes.

Reactions: Thrasher1237