Open 1.1.0: Freeze-Crash when opening inventory screen (Probably NEI)

W

weakman54

Version:

What is the bug:
Occasionally when I open an inventory the client freezes up, and if I wait a short while, chrashes.

This has happened on FTB Infinity for me a good while too, at least half a year I think. But it's very intermittent.

Mod & Version:
Not Enough Items 1.0.5.118

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:
http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/d26f8971

Can it be repeated:
Not regularly, opening Inventories works properly most of the time, until it doesn't, out of the blue.
Last time it happened was after I tabbed back to the client after some research, and went for opening a chest (As said, anything that shows the inventory screen with NEI seems to do this).

I've searched around, and it seems to be a problem with NEI's rendering, and it seems to happen mostly when I have something typed in the search bar, so that something specific is shown in the NEI. Though it happens for many different things in that case (I can never remember what either, I'll look out more for that, and edit this post if I find something out).

Known Fix:
Remembering to toggle NEI so that it's off when leaving (and then entering) inventories seems to fix it, but is very tedious and error prone.

I have tried turning NEI off completely, and it didn't crash, but it's very crippling to play without NEI, so I only played for a couple of hours.

W

weakman54

I think the problem is probably hardware related, since I just realized that the same thing happened for me with the compacting drawer bug, it was only me on the server that had the crash. So I'll give my specs here also:

Lenovo y70-70 touch laptop:
* Intel HD Graphics 4600 (integrated I think)
* Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M (This is what it should run on, I have my laptop plugged in most of the time, and on highest performance settings)
* Intel Core i7-4710HQ

(Posting as a new post to avoid spam filter)

Zadkiel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm no expert, but it looks to me from that log that NEI is running out of RAM to store it's data in - what are your JVM RAM settings?

W

weakman54

Well, I have it set to 4GB in the options tab, and I've ticked "Optimization for fast computers" also (Not sure if that is default or not)

I'm pretty sure I've not set anything else, so it should be default, I'm going to try and up the RAM a bit and untick the optimizations to see what happens

Zadkiel

Jul 29, 2019
4GB is plenty, in fact IIRC that's the max under 64 bit java, however that's not really the RAM setting I meant, for NEI it's the JVM PermGen cache that's important. Try opening the JVM 'advanced options and under 'additional parameters' enter:

Code:
-Xmx4096M -Xms2048M -XX:PermSize=256m

And see if that helps.

W

weakman54

Nope, didn't work... (unticking the option and increasing the RAM)

Notably, I managed to get the crash much faster this time, I tried the same thing that happened when I chrashed last time. My NEI was on search for "Logic" and I was holding a steam engine in my hand and right clicked a crafting table. I crashed almost immediately doing that. Gonna test if it happens while just having the search and also by just using the steam engine.

I'll try doing the exact same thing with your settings first though.

W

weakman54

Hm, seems like it might be inventory tweaks that is doing sokmething (from the log of the previous, quick crash):

[21:48:07] [Client thread/WARN]: Something's taking too long! 'root.gameRenderer' took aprox 103.454504 ms
[21:48:07] [Client thread/WARN]: Something's taking too long! 'root' took aprox 181.566368 ms
[21:48:07] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiChest
[21:48:07] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerChest
[21:48:09] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiChest
[21:48:09] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerChest
[21:48:12] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiChest
[21:48:12] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerChest
[21:48:12] [Client thread/WARN]: Something's taking too long! 'root.gameRenderer' took aprox 159.734721 ms
[21:48:12] [Client thread/WARN]: Something's taking too long! 'root' took aprox 168.506463 ms
[21:48:32] [Client thread/WARN]: Something's taking too long! 'root.tick.gameMode' took aprox 255.131835 ms
[21:48:32] [Client thread/WARN]: Something's taking too long! 'root.tick' took aprox 260.080976 ms
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0000000032d9ae15, pid=3984, tid=11720
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_77-b03) (build 1.8.0_77-b03)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.77-b03 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
MC process exited. return value: 1

W

weakman54

Wellp, I atleast have a good way of reproducing the crash now:
Get my steam engine from the chest it's in
Spam open inventories until it crashes, which it will rather quickly
Note that I do still have "Logic" as my search, which carries over from the last session as well.

A couple of things that stand out (I'll post the entire crash log below, but it needs to be approved):
Spamming chests just before the crash:
[22:04:49] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiChest
[22:04:49] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerChest
[22:04:50] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiChest
[22:04:50] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerChest
[22:04:51] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiChest
[22:04:51] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerChest
[22:04:52] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: tconstruct.tools.gui.CraftingStationGui
[22:04:52] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: tconstruct.tools.inventory.CraftingStationContainer
[22:04:54] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiChest
[22:04:54] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerChest
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment

This errorline from the JVM:
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.77-b03 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
"mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops" ??

And permsize is apparently not supported any longer:
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option PermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0

W

weakman54

Yeah it's more and more likely a problem with NEI, I started with just standing still for a minute or two, moved around a bit, didn't interact. No problems.
I opened my inventory and immediately turned NEI off with O, then I spammed some chests and furnaces and crafting tables. No problems.
I enabled NEI and made sure the search bar was empty, spammed again. No problems.

Typing "pipe" in, and then spamming... Freeze -> Crash

Edit: Tried the exact same thing on a new session (I logged out of windows and back again for a "clean-slate"). Got the same crash.
Notably I can view the NEI page just fine when first searching for something, it's only when I open an inventory again with that search that it crashes. (This includes opening it "normally" with just my "e" button)

There are also some elements on that page that have "missing texture" magenta and black checkers too, I'm not sure how relevant that is since I'm pretty sure that I've had the crash even without there being such elements on the NEI page.

I do think that there are specific elements that causes the crash though, since it only crashes on some searches and not all.

Edit 2:
Updated my graphics drivers to no avail.
Also tried changing the search settings for NEI, no surprise that didn't work.

I did notice something though: Having the search be "pipe", using my hand, it only seems to crash when entering a crafting station (I didn't try a vanilla table). It has happened with furnaces and chests before, but still interesting.

Last edited:

Zadkiel

Jul 29, 2019
And permsize is apparently not supported any longer:
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option PermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0

Ah, yes, sorry to have wasted your time, I forgot that issue no longer exists in Java 1.8

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Tapatalk randomly showed me this thread, so I just decided to see if I could be of assistance here.

1. It seems to be Java itself that is crashing. What is very typical about these kinds of crashes is that they almost always have to do with Windows 10(, Better Foliage) and/or Optifine. Are you a user of either of these?
2. You are searching an awful lot on Logisticspipes- or Buildcraft-related keywords. It may be possible that your Java, on your OS, with your graphical card and your graphical card driver, can not render one of the items it means to show you and therefore crashes. This item may very well be some kind of pipe.
3. The ArrayIndexOutOfBounds exception sometimes happens if there is a shapeless recipe NEI is trying to show, but there is more than 9 ingredients and 10 or more items don't fit in a crafting table. It is very well possible that this has nothing to do with your issue though. :/

4. Invtweaks can not be directly linked to this issue. It just logs it whenever you open an inventory.

W

weakman54

Tapatalk randomly showed me this thread, so I just decided to see if I could be of assistance here.

1. It seems to be Java itself that is crashing. What is very typical about these kinds of crashes is that they almost always have to do with Windows 10(, Better Foliage) and/or Optifine. Are you a user of either of these?
2. You are searching an awful lot on Logisticspipes- or Buildcraft-related keywords. It may be possible that your Java, on your OS, with your graphical card and your graphical card driver, can not render one of the items it means to show you and therefore crashes. This item may very well be some kind of pipe.
3. The ArrayIndexOutOfBounds exception sometimes happens if there is a shapeless recipe NEI is trying to show, but there is more than 9 ingredients and 10 or more items don't fit in a crafting table. It is very well possible that this has nothing to do with your issue though. :/

4. Invtweaks can not be directly linked to this issue. It just logs it whenever you open an inventory.

for #1, I'm pretty sure it's not those, I'm running w8.1, I haven't installed Better Foliage myself, so if it's not in FTB Infinite Skyblock, I don't have it, same with Optifine (neither are listed in the launcher).

I agree with #2, with the addition that I think it has to do with more than just the pipes, my current theory is that my setup does not like animated icons in the NEI, since a search for "tank" also makes it crash. There are a number of different search terms that makes it crash, not just things related to pipes/tanks. I unfortunately get a bit frustrated whenever it crashes, so I never remember to check when I get back in what exactly is on the page when I get back in. I will try to do some actual dectective work today, it's a lot easier when you are actually expecting the crash.

It might be #3, but I'm not sure how I would investigate that? Could you explain a bit more which recipes might do this, and how to reproduce it?

And I do agree that InvTweaks is probably not the problem, I realized myself that it logs every inventory open, and since that is when the crash occurs, I just kinda coupled them xP.

As a side note, it seems more and more likely that it's my specific setup, since the bucket trophy you get also triggers a crash, but strangely only when it's rendered in the world, not in my inventory (which thankfully means that I can trash it without triggering a crash). If I hold it in my hand, it doesn't crash immediately, but will crash pretty quickly, if it's thrown, I crash, if it's placed, I crash. My friend got the trophy on a server I was running, and immediately threw it into the void, but ofcourse I crashed as soon as it was thrown... (He didn't crash, and none of my other friends that play skyblock have had any problems...)

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
"Liquid" seem to be the key word here

Mark my words. There is a liquid that has a broken texture/rendering. I can sense it. :)

Last edited:
W

weakman54

Hm, I went to test if any liquid related stuff would cause a crash, and curiously, I didn't crash...

... Until just now?
Ok, so as i was typing this, I had my inventory open to the "pipe" search, which didn't crash immediately as I tought it would (hence the beginning of this post).
It actually crashed while in the inventory, not while opening one...

I'm thinking it hadn't finished loading the thing that makes the crash up until when I was tabbed out.
(I've also as I've said before tried to make sure there were no background programs running, as that doesn't seem to be the problem)

Oh, and there is definitely a broken texture on the "pipe" search, but not on the tank one (that search doesn't contain any liquids at all)

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Do you have INPureCore? (It seems that way from my first glance).

If so, could you try to reproduce this without that mod? You'll also need to remove all mods that depend on INPureCore for Minecraft to start properly.

Fyi, I don't specifically think that INPureCore is your problem, but it hides the many varieties of tanks from NEI for you, I guess.

W

weakman54

Hm, on first glance the crashes seems to have stopped after removing INPure, knock on wood I guess