1.1.0: (1.1.1, Curse Client)Chunk lighting failure

Youmu970

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
Sometimes certain chunks will stop updating lighting. If I mine a block, I get a lighting error. If I place a torch, it only updates the block the torch is in.

Mod & Version:

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
By mining until it happens I guess.

Known Fix:
Not really a fix, but placing a torch in a non affected chunk will update the broken chunk. Further action is the broken chunk will not update it. Relogging fixes the chunk, but I'll still find more broken chunks.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Version:

What is the bug:
Sometimes certain chunks will stop updating lighting. If I mine a block, I get a lighting error. If I place a torch, it only updates the block the torch is in.

Mod & Version:

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
By mining until it happens I guess.

Known Fix:
Not really a fix, but placing a torch in a non affected chunk will update the broken chunk. Further action is the broken chunk will not update it. Relogging fixes the chunk, but I'll still find more broken chunks.

Question: Are you seeing large strip-like black areas on the game screen and any map mods you are using? If so, this is because some chunks don't render properly and if you look at a blank area occupied by an unrendered chunk you will see black borders where you can see into adjacent chunks all the way to void. You shouldn't wander into such chunks, rather you should maintain a distance of more than 2 chunks and try the following fix:

The way to fix these is to shorten your rendering distance to 2, and then back to whatever rendering distance you originally had it set to. This should be accessible by clicking Options, then Video Settings, then setting Render Distance to 2 chunks, after noting what it was originally set to, exiting back to the game, then accessing the Render Distance option again to set it back again.

Sometimes there are minor lighting glitches that mean areas in shade render as black or very dark, and this can only be corrected by placing a torch or block in the affected area, which usually causes the lighting engine to update the affected areas. It used to be a lot worse in previous versions of Minecraft, and was almost impossible to update lighting glitches properly. Usually, lighting up the affected area or removing blocks above it will correct this issue. This is an ongoing vanilla Minecraft rendering glitch and usually doesn't have anything to do with what a modded installation is doing.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid