1.0.3: Thaumcraft research reset to zero 1.0.4

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
Not sure when it happened but the research table lost all the aspects and all scanned items would not display the aspects.

Similar happened before (months ago) so I copied THAUM file in playerdata folder from an old manual backup from last month.

Last time everything returned but this time I have to thaumometer everything again, so I get double aspects but it is not ideal

Mod & Version:
Thaumcraft-1.7.10-4.2.3.4

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
On past experience it probably will be but I hope not

Known Fix:

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, happened here as well. I think some things were updated with ThC, which resulted in a reset. Though on my end the researches were reset as well, so I had to use commands to reclaim all the ones I had already done.

grodzik

Jul 29, 2019
There was some change in ThC with item IDs and changelog mentions that it will be required to scan all things once again, therefore there will be free research points. So it was expected. But resercheas should not disappear.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
https://feedthebeast.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PML/Direwolf20+(1.7.x)+1.0.4

1.0.3 Thaumcraft version: 4.2.1.4

1.0.4 Thaumcraft version: 4.2.3.4

From the Thaumcraft 4.2.2.0 Change Logs

- Changed the way I generate the unique identifier I use to save what you have scanned. Turns out it wasn't than unique for some blocks (like mushrooms). Since the identifier has changed most blocks and items will be scannable again - enjoy the free RP.

You can read all the updated changes to Thaumcraft here:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum.../1292130-thaumcraft-4-2-3-5-updated-2015-2-17

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
UPDATE - Lost my research again when I logged on today, the research table has 1 of each base aspects and the thaumonomicon has reset to zero completed research. This is becoming tiresome. Will going back to 1.0.3 do more harm than good? Is it worth persisting with 1.0.4 until this is solved?

Edit - Had to add this - when I copied the THAUM file I restarted the launcher and when the minecraft launcher appeared the message was "Deja Vu" How appropriate!!

Last edited:

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
We need to know what else you are changing, Thaumcraft is pretty stable but when you change your PLAYERNAME.thaum file to one that is from a version before 4.2.2.0 your scanned items will mostly disappear but your research should stay the same. Are you adding in or removing other Thaumcraft addon mods, things like Automagy or Forbidden Magic? Are you replacing that file while your character is in the world? Do you keep restoring that month old backup file?

To answer your question I do not know what will happen with a 4.2.3.4 version PLAYERNAME.thaum file loaded into a world running Thaumcraft 4.2.1.4, so rolling back to 1.0.3 might require using that month old backup file again.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
We need to know what else you are changing, Thaumcraft is pretty stable but when you change your PLAYERNAME.thaum file to one that is from a version before 4.2.2.0 your scanned items will mostly disappear but your research should stay the same. Are you adding in or removing other Thaumcraft addon mods, things like Automagy or Forbidden Magic? Are you replacing that file while your character is in the world? Do you keep restoring that month old backup file?

To answer your question I do not know what will happen with a 4.2.3.4 version PLAYERNAME.thaum file loaded into a world running Thaumcraft 4.2.1.4, so rolling back to 1.0.3 might require using that month old backup file again.

OK to be clear -
1) I set my loader to 1.0.4 once and have left it there, days later my reasearch was found to be missing ( I don't use Thaumcraft every time i play minecraft so I found the problem when I next used Thaumcraft)
2) "We need to know what else you are changing" - the ONLY time I change anything is when I look at my research table or check for the aspects to display in my inventory and find they have reset - meaning 1 of each base aspect in the research table and no items showing as being scanned (so no aspects displayed in my inventory) and my research book research being lost
3) when my aspects have been reset to zero is when I copy an old PLAYERNAME.THAUM file - it appears what you are saying is that "when you change your PLAYERNAME.thaum file to one that is from a version before 4.2.2.0 your scanned items will mostly disappear" - or to put it another way MY attempt to resolve the problem of my research disappearing is causing my research to disappear causing me to try to resolve the problem which will of course cause my research to disappear and on and on in an endless loop.

If only there was a way to have my research not disappear - the effect of this would be that I would not need to copy an old PLAYERNAME.THAUM file to get them back.

4) Nothing has been added, I have removed journeymap otherwise DW20 1.7.10 out of the box
5) Not copying while character is in game - mostly exited completely (No Minecraft no FTB running), occasionally have minecraft launcher started but no game loaded.
6) I am (restoring the "month old" as I can not find a more recent version that gives the required result ie reasearch restored to existing

If I sound frustrated it is because I am, after my last post I set about getting the items I need for turning into essence into 14 labels on the wall so I could easily break the labels dropping the 3 items and scan them every time I restart minecraft, not ideal but without another solution worth a shot. Unfortunately my computer crashed (after I completed this and before I made a backup) and I lost all that

Last edited:

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
To be clear on my end as well, I can't recall if my research points disappeared after the update, but most of my scanned items became unscanned (things like aura nodes for some reason did not). I did however maintain all my knowledge research. The word research is used alot so to be more clear, things like Node in a Jar were still known to me so I did not have to go through that mini game for all those items again.

It was totally annoying to have to rescan all the items from my inventory again but that appears to be the cost of playing with mods that are being actively developed...

Your research knowledge should not reset with any of these updates, I think you are heading down the right path, get your thaumcraft to a known state, make a backup, scan all the things, make another backup. If you keep going back to that month old backup you will be stuck in this spiral.

If your computer keeps crashing it could be something along the lines of hard drive or memory issues on your computer that messing with your save state too, but that is just a total random guess.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
To be clear on my end as well, I can't recall if my research points disappeared after the update, but most of my scanned items became unscanned (things like aura nodes for some reason did not). I did however maintain all my knowledge research. The word research is used alot so to be more clear, things like Node in a Jar were still known to me so I did not have to go through that mini game for all those items again.
I am not entirely sure how full the reset is either, I know aspects in the research table become only 1 each for the base elements and my warded jars show ??? on all but the base elements and the book (knowledge research) shows I need to do research for research I have completed, I did not check everything but I have golems and the golem research was not done, same for my thaumium wand caps

It was totally annoying to have to rescan all the items from my inventory again but that appears to be the cost of playing with mods that are being actively developed...
Minecraft 1.2 I played snapshot updates for a long time, I am aware of the consequences. If I had to do it once it would have been simply a cost of playing a deleloping mod and not an issue, having to daily try to resolve this is much more than annoying

Your research knowledge should not reset with any of these updates, I think you are heading down the right path, get your thaumcraft to a known state, make a backup, scan all the things, make another backup. If you keep going back to that month old backup you will be stuck in this spiral.
Hopefully

If your computer keeps crashing it could be something along the lines of hard drive or memory issues on your computer that messing with your save state too, but that is just a total random guess.
Assumptions frustrate me - when you say "If your computer keeps crashing..." you are making an assumption that the report of my computer crashing on one occasion means that my computer is crashing constantly (My assumption of your assumption) For the record this computer that I have been using for Minecraft for 6-7 months has only once crashed and that once is the time that I mentioned

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Could I possibly get a pastebin (or similar) of the crash log, if there is one, please? I'm honestly kind of lost in the conversation at this point. XD
Anyway, have you tried the long method of using commands to restore your research, to see if that keeps the fix?

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
At DW20 1.0.4 we are still one version behind on Thaumcraft and the changelog has everyone's favorite line "minor bugfixes," so I have no idea if that could be the solution to your problem but at this point I would go for the clean start solution. You can update DW20 modpack to 1.1.1 which will get you to the most recent version of Thaumcraft or just manually download and replace that mod if there are other changes in the pack upgrade you don't wish to make at this time.

I would then move my PLAYERNAME.thaum and PLAYERNAME.thaumback files to a safe location so a new one will be created when you join the world.
Also if you are concerned you can take out the items in your Bauble slots and store them in your regualr inventory and then move those files as well,
You can then use the commands found here:
http://thaumcraft-4.wikia.com/wiki/Commands
to add back in anything you don't want to have to do manually

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
I am not sure about the crash report it is dated 5 March and I am not certain that it is the relevant report but I don't remember any other crash around the time this began so http://pastebin.com/2dAkvp4R

The "long method" commands - I considered if you mean cheating in the research but I thought that would give me everything including the warp so I would then need to turn off warp.

Anyway, I had another try today, I forced an update in the FTB launcher and I also found that I may have been using a similarly named backup since the crash and that the save I thought I was using actually was not showing in the saved game list selection. So I removed all saves, copied a backup from 15 March and copied the playername.thaum from a 28 Feb backup file to restore the research table and the book research to close to what I had. I have lost some build progress, but I think I am half way to getting back to where I was.

I also backed up the world manually 3 times during the process, closing to the minecraft launcher backing up and then reloading. I am hoping that when I restart tomorrow I will still have the research (other than the aspects for items I am yet to rescan).

BTW I noticed Dire had a problem with the research disappearing but he did not seem to have have the same problem unless he has not noticed yet, he only mentioned the need to rescan items "and get bonus aspects", also I think it would have been before or around the time I had this problem, his episode 58 I think which was probably recorded earlier than normal as he went on a trip for work. So I am not alone with having the problem, maybe the extent is a bit greater.

Another thing that may be worth mentioning is that my computer seemed to be working harder since the charge to 1.0.4 and then the crash happened so I downloaded a system monitor that shows my processor was fairly quiet before launching ftb but all 4 cores go to 90 - 100% when I launch. I thought Minecraft (java) only used 1 core so why would all 4 be maxed out. They fall back a lot after the game renders but why all 4.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
At DW20 1.0.4 we are still one version behind on Thaumcraft and the changelog has everyone's favorite line "minor bugfixes," so I have no idea if that could be the solution to your problem but at this point I would go for the clean start solution. You can update DW20 modpack to 1.1.1 which will get you to the most recent version of Thaumcraft or just manually download and replace that mod if there are other changes in the pack upgrade you don't wish to make at this time.

I would then move my PLAYERNAME.thaum and PLAYERNAME.thaumback files to a safe location so a new one will be created when you join the world.
Also if you are concerned you can take out the items in your Bauble slots and store them in your regualr inventory and then move those files as well,
You can then use the commands found here:
http://thaumcraft-4.wikia.com/wiki/Commands
to add back in anything you don't want to have to do manually

Thanks zBob, I must have been writing while you were, I hope I have made progress today (see above). And the baubles don't seem to have been affected for me so I try not to change anything that I don't need to. If things fall apart tomorrow I will look at your suggestions again.
I am reluctant to go to 1.1.1 as I would have thought 1.0.4 would have to be fixed and "recommended" before the next version was worth trying

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
When I say use the commands, there are a couple of warnings.
One, don't go into creative and grab the completed book. This will give you ALL the warp, and make it harder to reset your research and warp effects back to what they were.
Two, the long method with the command line is to add in each research you had, one by one. It's tedious, but it may be the best way to do so. Sadly the command names for each research aren't quite the same as the names in the book, and you can't simply undo learning a research, you have to reset all of them if you make a mistake. So be sure you had certain things before you grab them. Luckily, if you had a high lvl research and you cheat that one in first, it grabs all the prerequisites for it as well.