1.0.1: Damaged Bound Armor causes instant player death

• This section is closed. Please do bug reports over at the FTB GitHub repos.
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jakalth

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
The Bound Armor from Blood Magic mod causes the player to instant die, message "Player died", when the player re-equips the armor after it has been damaged, even with nearly 1,000,000LP available in their soul network. All 4 pieces of the armor have a blood shard and a sigil slotted into them. No blood orb was used, which might be the trigger. Yes, the armor already had been linked to the player before this happened.

The player death happens up to 4 times in a row, once for each piece of armor. And it only happens when a damaged piece of armor is equipped. The process also seems to place a huge drain on the players soul network.

It's mostly an annoyance since you can easily retrieve your gear in most situations. Not sure if it's a bug, or simply due to not having blood orbs in each piece of the armor.

Mod & Version:

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
Simplest way to repeat this. Craft at least one piece of the bound armor set with a sigil and blood shard slotted into it, and a good amount of LP in your soul network. Open a crafting table and try crafting an unstable ingot using a division sigil, but close the crafting table without taking out the ingot. Thus triggering the player death effect from a failed crafting. Pick up and equip the piece of bound armor that was left behind when you died, it should be damaged. After a few seconds the player will be killed again with a simple "player died" message displayed in the chat bar.

Known Fix:
Having at least 1 piece of the armor, with a blood orb slotted into it, prevents the player from being killed when they re-equipped their Bound Armor in this situation.

Last edited:

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like the unstable ingots do... a lot of damage. Guess it is a Integer.MAX value.

The Bound Armour works by receiving damage to the armour and then applying that damage to the owner's network via an LP drain. This is to allow things like Rust or other armour-damaging effects to still be able to harm the player's network. Since you are dying while there is still a toll to be reaped, it will catch you the next time you put it on. I'd suggest doing one piece at a time, refilling your LP network each time you readd them.

Jakalth

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so acting as intended. The death when re-equipping the armor is from just one piece being re-equipped. My soul network takes a 800,000LP hit, roughly, each time a piece of armor is put back on, along with the player death. So it looks like the armor is trying to prevent it.

Would a blood orb in each piece of armor make a difference here?

After each piece of armor had been re-equipped once, they no longer caused any issues and have continued to work without a single other issue.

And one last thing: Thanks. Your mode is quite enjoyable to play.

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
It sounds like the blood orb wouldn't do much, though it should probably be tried regardless. I would imagine that the ingot death is designed to get through anything and everything it can to kill you, but who knows, maybe this will be a way around it. XD

Jakalth

Jul 29, 2019
I tested this out again, and having at least 1 of the pieces of armor slotted with a blood orb prevents the player from being killed again when they retrieve their armor, but does NOT prevent the unstable ingot from killing them. Probably no way to prevent that from happening. The armor showed no damage this time when I picked it up, but my soul network took a bit more of a hit then before. Seems I just found the solution to my own bug. A bug which doesn't even seem to be one, and would make for an interesting fluff/mechanic for the mod.

Seems the death from the unstable ingot explosion is so quick, the armor does not have enough time to draw the LP from the players soul network before it's over. With a blood orb slotted in, it can still find the soul network to draw the LP from, after the player dies. This is good. My guess is that without the orb, the armor is trying to find a source of LP to perform repairs, so when the player picks it up again, the first source it can find is the player them self(similar to how you'd initially fill the blood alter by using the players own hearts). The amount of LP needed for the repair of each piece probably just ends up being more then the player has in total health.

How hard would it be, WayofTime, to have a custom death message displayed if the player is killed by their own armor due to not having a blood orb slotted in? Something like "Player[name] died from system shock." Cause that would be a LOT of LP being pulled through the player without an orb to channel it.

itanshi

Jul 29, 2019
Unstable ingot ignores anything you are wearing, thats intended

Yes, without the orb slotted it uses your lp network. Its possible to die multiple times in a row. Or at least it used to be.