1.0.1: Chunks Unloading Right in Front of Me... Due to Entities!

Gemini000

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
Earlier I reported that the more you travel around the world, the worse the framerate gets as does lag spikes when trying to put items into or pull items out of a crafting grid.

However, just now I was travelling around the world and came across chunks which were refusing to generate, so I turned back and reached a point where I couldn't really go forwards to get back to my base because chunks that had been generated weren't loading... then the chunks RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME started unloading, all while the framerate was choking!

After a couple minutes of watching this, suddenly all the chunks around me started loading again, but the framerate immediately got worse. I hit Shift+F3 to see if I could see where the CPU usage was going and it was almost entirely being consumed by ENTITY TICKS. o_O

This may explain why the framerate can also suffer if you stay in one area for half an hour or more, then try to explore. It isn't the amount of time spent travelling, it's the amount of time spent processing some particular kind of entity... Entity count itself was fairly normal when this was happening last, just shy of 100.

Mod & Version:

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
Yes. Just play any SSP world for a half hour or more then try to go anywhere for a distance of just 50 m to 100 m. You can tell that this problem is occurring because if you try to enter chunks you've never generated they simply DON'T generate. At all.

Known Fix:
Restart Minecraft. :/

Sen-Mithrarin

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, got the same as I tested out the achievements in order to find more bugged ones. So I build a 1000 block long track to get "On A Rail". and after some distance (around 400-600 blocks) chunks started to stop loading.
BUT : I got this even when playin vanilla. So I guess (in lack of more informations) that this a vanilla-related bug. There are some mods out there wich try to fix such things, and also Forge itself contains lots of patches, but it seems with such many of entity-based mods its just too much for MC at all (regardless of modded or vanilla) to handle. So I think we can only hope for some improvements, but it seems we will never get rid of this loading-fails and random unloading until Mojang fixes it in the base.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Yea, got the same as I tested out the achievements in order to find more bugged ones. So I build a 1000 block long track to get "On A Rail". and after some distance (around 400-600 blocks) chunks started to stop loading.
BUT : I got this even when playin vanilla. So I guess (in lack of more informations) that this a vanilla-related bug. There are some mods out there wich try to fix such things, and also Forge itself contains lots of patches, but it seems with such many of entity-based mods its just too much for MC at all (regardless of modded or vanilla) to handle. So I think we can only hope for some improvements, but it seems we will never get rid of this loading-fails and random unloading until Mojang fixes it in the base.

Yeah, they have fixed it in the latest version of the game, but since modded installations are dependent on the Forge version that's been built from the Minecraft version that it's been decoded from, we have to put up with what's happening right now. For instance, entities like zombies can and will pick up items from nearby entities that happen to get killed by suffocation or other forms of damage whilst randomly roaming around in chunks loaded because of mod chunkloaders, or chunks loaded because they're chunks within range of the player, thus preventing them from despawning. This was a great idea on Mojang's part, but not well-implemented, as it overrode a crucial safety feature called a despawn timer. Mobs that pick items up and don't despawn are now fixed but sadly in the latest Forge version they will still pick items up unless there's a way for Forge to patch this coded behavior so that it can be turned off. Modders can help with this problem by ensuring that their mod's code doesn't help entities roam around or die from taking damage, unless intended, but they'll have to be aware of this problem for it to help anyone in the long term.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Last edited:

Gemini000

Jul 29, 2019
I've found a solution to this problem: Update to the latest 1.8 branch of Java.

After doing this, while I still occasionally get delays in chunk loading and unloading, it recovers after a moment or several, whereas before using the 1.7 Java branch it simply wouldn't recover at all.

Prior to this I tried installing Fastcraft. While it's likely helping, Fastcraft alone didn't solve this issue.

Sen-Mithrarin

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't tested Fastcraft yet.
Ok, then there seems to be another issue as I'm using Java8 since ea-phase (early access) and also I'm on the lasted update but still get some issues. Maybe the magic happens with Java8 and Fastcraft together only. I'll give it a try.