[Solved] How do I extinguish this?!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Had an oil well next to my base that stayed there happily for ages.

One fine night during a thunderstorm, I think a lightning bolt hit it, cos I come out after the storm and I find this:

mbGYdeP.png

It has been raging for literally weeks now (not minecraft weeks, real ones).

I thought at first "it'll burn itself out" but doesn't looks like it's gonna do it any time soon.

Is there any way I can extinguish this? (water doesn't work).

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
i dont have any experience in this in minecraft, i do know Oil in real life will burn forever and water wont do anything to it either. I would try pumping the oil out, just an idea :)

FangzWuff

Jul 29, 2019
Had this happen once, tho it was an alot bigger oil field with I think around 10 large wells, ended up using the filler too replace top layer with ice blocks that I melted afther too repair water and just fillling in the well top with dirt and remove that too.

Also I got annoyed the third time it happened and disabled burnable oil in config ^^ it's like meteorcraft.. too annoying couse it happens too much.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
i dont have any experience in this in minecraft, i do know Oil in real life will burn forever and water wont do anything to it either. I would try pumping the oil out, just an idea :)

Not FOREVER, but a REALLY, REALLY long time. The fire is the result of an exothermic reaction that occurs when the hydrocarbonates that make up the oil are exposed to a certain amount of heat, and then convert to more stable forms, releasing the energy difference plus the gaseous byproducts. The problem is, it's a self-sustaining reaction, meaning the amount of heat produced by the burning of the oil is enough to maintain the reaction going (and thus the fire) until all oil is all but completely consumed. It just so tend to happen that oil wells have a REALLY LARGE amount of oil in them, and they keep spurting more and more oil, until the pressure equalizes and it stops spurting oil. So the reaction would keep going on until the oil well all but drained out... Which would take an enormous amount of time. But it's not forever.

In regards to oil SPILLS in the ocean, lighting it up on fire WAS a way of dealing with it because when the oil burnt completely, the byproducts would be released in the atmosphere or deposited in the ocean floor, cleaning up the oil in the surface. It's no longer widely used because there exists safer, more effective methods of dealing with oil spills, that have lesser consequences than burning up the oil. Like bacteria that consume hydrocarbons, and chemicals that bond with hydrocarbons transforming it into a form that's more easily collected than crude oil.

Wikipedia has some more info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_spill#Cleanup_and_recovery

Reactions: Colensocon1

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
i've had success putting them out underground using TNT. just make sure fire can't trail back to your main blaze.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I usually just pump them out. Works fine as long as the pump is outside the range of fire spread (higher up).

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
poseidon must really hate those spiders...
I really wish Buildcraft would change it so oil fires like that will go out by themselves after some time, as it's really annoying to get rid of it...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Had an oil well next to my base that stayed there happily for ages.

One fine night during a thunderstorm, I think a lightning bolt hit it, cos I come out after the storm and I find this:

mbGYdeP.png

It has been raging for literally weeks now (not minecraft weeks, real ones).

I thought at first "it'll burn itself out" but doesn't looks like it's gonna do it any time soon.

Is there any way I can extinguish this? (water doesn't work).
They are really easy to put out of you have Xeno's Reliquary. Just make the "Salamander's Eye" and while holding it fly over the burning area. After a few passes you will have extinguished the whole thing.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Cover the fire in dirt blocks, then leave them there until you're ready to pump it out, so it's saved from being struck again.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
They are really easy to put out of you have Xeno's Reliquary. Just make the "Salamander's Eye" and while holding it fly over the burning area. After a few passes you will have extinguished the whole thing.
Oh man! That worked a treat.

You have my gratitude good sir. Here's a cookie.

Cookie.gif

Reactions: Colensocon1

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Can Mariculture's F.L.U.D.D. be used to put out fire?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk