My ongoing Quest for Ender Pearls, built a mob farm, will the Endermen come?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

In my continuing quest (DW20 1.0.11) following Mr DireWolf I find myself in need of EnderPearls...so i began looking around and came across some excellent video's on You Tube.

I found there's this fellow called Ethos, who makes some great MineCraft videos, anyway I noted he has a video where he makes a huge mob spawner with blocks and water. So I decided to set about making what he made :) Here is link to the guide I followed (Puts screenies into context).

The only thing I added was a 'death pool' at the bottom, where a MFR Grinder kills them and takes their stuff and mob essence and puts into my mob essence tank.

I copied the design exactly as he put in his video.

I've made mine an extra block high as suggested to see if Endermen will spawn inside it.

So far though, I have hundreds of Zombie brains and about 800 bones and lots of gear but no Ender Pearls. But it's only been running for a few hours so early days yet!

Thought i'd post screenies, I used wool to make it (I hope it doesn't catch fire...), it's five levels and i'm waiting on my sheep farm to make more wool, Ethos recommends 10 levels of mobs for this design, so final mob generator will be twice as high.

Anyway, questions... do Endermen need 3 or 4 spaces of room to appear? I made all the pads with three spaces above them before the room as Ethos suggested. Also, if you are using water to push them to their doom, or have them land in water, do they instantly teleport away? I have seen comments indicating that they have changed Endermen in the last patch or two...

I'm really determined to get myself some of these EnderPearls!

Even If this system won't generate Endermen, i'm happy with it, it's a good source of bones and arrows and even the odd bit of enchanted kit, but if that is the case.. does anyone have any ideas for an Enderman trap?

Thanks!

2014-01-24_18.15.51.png 2014-01-24_20.10.49.png 2014-01-24_18.31.33.png 2014-01-24_20.11.47.png

Last edited:

quantumllama

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah. Etho is pretty great. Sounds like you built a vanilla spawner though, you might want to look at MFR mob farms. Or Soulshards if you have it. I think Dartcraft also allows you to craft your own spawners.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi Quantum :)

I have investigated the MFR mob spawners, apparently I need a safari net which needs four Ender Pearls and a Ghast Tear, I have a Ghast Tear but still trying to get Ender Pearls.

Will absolutely make a MFR spawner when i can though, but I have to admit this vanilla stuff is fun, I like listening to the skeletons go 'Crunch'.

:)

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
While enderman probably spawn, they will teleport away as soon as they hit the water ;(

Edit: My suggestion would be to build dark rooms and have the entire spawning area be covered by MFR grinders, expensive to set up, sure. But will provide you with all the mob drops aswell as tons of mob essence. Wich in turn you could use to capture an enderman and spawn him in a MFR spawner. Wombocombo!

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer using ender lillies... mostly because I'm too lazy to build a spawner :p
but ender lillies really depend alot on RNG, so you may end up not finding any of them while you explore the overworld

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid your mobtrap does not work so well with Endermen, since they are hurt by the water and might teleport away or die. Might want to make use of conveyer belts instead of water flows.

But there is a better method.

Extrautils adds cursed earth. With the earth you can make a small (5x5 room) darkroom with an MFR grinder.

It's the perfect way to get lots of mob drops, Ender pearls included.

The trick is to get the cursed earth and its a fun process too! You start by finding a division sigil in a dunegon chest. Then you need to activate the sigil by performing the ritual. While doing the ritual cursed earth will spawn and you need to collect (at least one, it spreads like grass only in the dark) it quickly before it turns day. More info found here: http://ftbwiki.org/Division_Sigil

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Racemol :)

Well, at least the floating giant mob spawner looks interesting and can supply brains and bones/arrows/bows :)

Do you have any tips for finding dungeons?

I've been exploring quite a lot and so far only one dungeon with a single chest that had a record in it (Rest of it was filled with gravel).

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Racemol :)

Well, at least the floating giant mob spawner looks interesting and can supply brains and bones/arrows/bows :)

Do you have any tips for finding dungeons?

I've been exploring quite a lot and so far only one dungeon with a single chest that had a record in it (Rest of it was filled with gravel).

The cursed earth works actually quite the same as your setup, the special earth makes mobs spawn more quickly so you do not have to make such a massive structure with water pathways etc. And maybe more importantly, it will spawn mobs even when you are close. And it spawns all mobs that normally would on that biome.
Essentially you use that setup to generate mob essence. The essence you can use to spawn specific mobs like enderman. They should spawn naturally too, but they are pretty rare. If you do it correctly, you would swim in all the different mob drops in no time.

About finding a division sigil;

You can construct mystcraft ages with the dungeons page. Or you can create random ages and hope for a flat world. The just scout the flatland for the thaumcraft dungeons which you should spot easily in a flatland.

Alternatively you can kill the wither boss. Though you'll need 3 wither skulls and some soulsand to spawn one but I got a sigil for every wither boss I killed.

Added example of my current spawn/grind room:
Ms6NFyEl.png

Last edited:

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
About finding a division sigil;
Alternatively you can kill the wither boss. Though you'll need 3 wither skulls and some soulsand to spawn one but I got a sigil for every wither boss I killed.

It's not a 100% drop, as I've killed some and gotten no sigil...but it IS a high drop rate.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Another option for your mob spawner..
I think Endermen have a limit on how far they can teleport. so if you made the walls around your mob spawner thick enough they should not be able to teleport out.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Can you collect cursed earth normally with a shovel? I've tried watching tutorials, but everyone uses creative (obviously) to explain its mechanics, but nobody shows you how to obtain it.

I know about the ritual and all - but everyone seems to say that if you break it, you get normal dirt.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Can you collect cursed earth normally with a shovel? I've tried watching tutorials, but everyone uses creative (obviously) to explain its mechanics, but nobody shows you how to obtain it.

I know about the ritual and all - but everyone seems to say that if you break it, you get normal dirt.
silktouch maybe?
Yes Silk touch is how you collect it

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks RaceMol and others in this thread :) I have hope.

Frankly I'm enjoying the quest for Ender Pearls, i'm a glad that Minium stones are not in the DW20 pack as it has forced me to get out of my base and explore.

It's also put some progression into the tech tree, whereas before I just made a minium stone, and turned iron into Pearls (didn't even know back then where the Pearls came from).

I think it's right that Ender Pearls should be hard to get at the start and I now can see why mod authors have incorporated them into powerful items and recipies.

Made my Modular Power Suit to go exploring with, though with Advanced plating it feels 'cheaty'.

Reactions: zorn

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome video :)

I'm now busy building my first 'EnderMan Death Room' :)

I have an Iron tank with over 2 million units of Mob Essence from the gigantic mob spawner and the farm, hehehe :)

Will post picks, that Ender-IO looks very interesting!

Thanks for posting.

Update:

EnderMan farm built, a simple 9 x 9 room with grinder at one end and auto-spawner (MFR Mod) at the other.

Spent a few minutes hooking up the power and pipes and inserted the captured EnderMan... the results were quite satisfactory!

I was shocked at just how many Endermen spawned..and then discovered that many simply teleported out of the 'building of death' I had prepared for them!
2014-01-26_21.50.16.png

Luckily I had a nice big tank of Mob Essence being fed by the Vanilla mob dropper plus the farm, barely spent 60,000 mob essence.

2014-01-26_22.03.12.png

But needless to say, after just a few minutes I have a lot of Ender Pearls.

2014-01-26_22.03.47.png

Little bit worried though about their friends roaming the country side...and my base!
2014-01-26_11.31.40.png

Thanks to everyone for their help and kind suggestions, now I have the Ender Pearls I can now continue building interesting things :)

-Wuffle

Last edited:
Reactions: Alcheya