DW 1.6.4 MJ Power over long distance

jdub411

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks in advance for the advice,

I'm simply looking for a good way to send MJ power from a steam boiler over a long distance; for quarry's and such. TE3 not accepting MJ power is really making this challenging. Sure I could build 100 Magmatic's but I've been there and done that.

Any Suggestions?

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
The new version of BC no longer has loss over distance so just use pipes. Alternatively Extra Utilities has a wireless power transport system. Off the top of my head I believe it is called an energy transfer node. I have never used it so I don't know much about it.

Also, TE3 CAN power BC devices, as RF auto-converts to MJ, but RF conduits, capacitors, and other RF devices do NOT accept MJ, only RF. I prefer MJ as the latest version of BC allows you to make engines only turn on when you need power and dynamically adjust the number of engines to the current power requirement, while TE3 is always on.

jdub411

Jul 29, 2019
The pipes crossed my mind but running 200 blocks of pipe to setup 1 quarry seems a bit much. I didn't know about the wireless power from EU, thanks for the idea. I simply don't want to use RF, I know it can power MJ machines but I'd rather just stick to RF for TE3 machines only. + Steam boilers/refinery's are fun.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
You could set up your engines there and move the steam via Ender Tanks/Tesseracts as it counts as a fluid. Longer set up for sure but saves you running 200 pipes like you just mentioned. I don't know about Extra Utilities wireless energy but the Energy Node is like the Transfer Node and requires pipes

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
The pipes crossed my mind but running 200 blocks of pipe to setup 1 quarry seems a bit much. I didn't know about the wireless power from EU, thanks for the idea. I simply don't want to use RF, I know it can power MJ machines but I'd rather just stick to RF for TE3 machines only. + Steam boilers/refinery's are fun.
You can use Boilers and Refineries with the Steam and Compression Dynamos respectively. You'll need 4x Steams and 1.5x Compressions then you would with Industrial Steams and Combustion Engines though (but no lag from particle effects so 20 boilers is now possible).

DeathGoth

Jul 29, 2019
Ya, I aint sure about these new engines... The tesserac's now only accept TE power... You cant add bc pipes to it anymore.. And it wont accept bc power to the tesseract to send elsewhere... Kinda sucks... The engine from what i understand is 4 mj compared to the combustion engine which is 6 mj..

But i guess on the other hand it is cheaper to make but in my 147 world i was begging for tin...

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Ya, I aint sure about these new engines... The tesserac's now only accept TE power... You cant add bc pipes to it anymore.. And it wont accept bc power to the tesseract to send elsewhere... Kinda sucks... The engine from what i understand is 4 mj compared to the combustion engine which is 6 mj..

But i guess on the other hand it is cheaper to make but in my 147 world i was begging for tin...

Also except for IC2 and its addons and Factorization everything in DW can be powered by RF. BC, RC and Forestry will require a conduit to do so, but the other mods accept and/or output RF by default. So basically you have IC2 machines which require EU. Factorization machines that need it energy type. Both of those have always required their own energy type. Then everything else can be run using RF. Or you can build a MJ system for BC/Forestry/RC and an RF system for everything else.

TLDR : TE can power everything except Factorization and IC2 which have always required their own power system.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019

err Tesseracts can not accept BC power but remember they can still send out MJs via conduits... I mean sure the tesseracts have become a tad bit more expensive but... its still a price for you to be able to send energy items and fluids on a single block

DeathGoth

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't complaining they were expensive I was saying coming from 147 it just seems way different...

I did mess with it a bit in a test world I guess it is good but I kinda like the BC engines cause they were awesome and powerful...

Oh well...

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks in advance for the advice,

I'm simply looking for a good way to send MJ power from a steam boiler over a long distance; for quarry's and such. TE3 not accepting MJ power is really making this challenging. Sure I could build 100 Magmatic's but I've been there and done that.

Any Suggestions?

Most efficient setup I can think of is sending the steam from the boiler over a Tesseract, fluiduct it to Steam Dynamos at the quarry, and connect the Steam Dynamos to the quarry using Energy Conduits.

If you don't want to be bothered moving the Steam Dynamos every time, slap the Steam Dynamos directly on the boiler and pipe the RF through the Tesseract. At the quarry, you'll need to put at least 1 Energy Conduit between the Tesseract and the Quarry since only Energy Conduits output MJ. You'll save moving the Dynamos, but I believe you'll take a small RF energy 'tax' on the Tesseract transfer whereas items and liquids (like steam) aren't subject to the tax. The tax is a price for convenience.

jdub411

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the inputs. I didn't realize if I just put steam into the Dynamos it would produce power. Guess I'll need a ton of them considering they only put out 4MJ. The tesseracts are expensive but well worth it, luckly I found 4 Ender lilly's early and my 1st quarry under my base found some end-stone and 4 ender pearls some how. Any idea's for the 20 industrial engines I will now have laying around? lol

Does anyone know how much steam/t they take to operate? I googled it, no luck.

20 Steam/t

Reddit ftw

Last edited:

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, 20 steam/t. Like the Commercial Steam Engines of RailCraft. So instead of 18 ISEs, you will need 36 Steam Dynamo to fully utilise a 36 HP Steam Boiler.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, 20 steam/t. Like the Commercial Steam Engines of RailCraft. So instead of 18 ISEs, you will need 36 Steam Dynamo to fully utilise a 36 HP Steam Boiler.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

I haven't updated to the latest version, b9, but apparently Steam Dynamos are 80 RF/t and I'm assuming they consume steam at the same rate per RF, which would make them equivalent to the ISEs in terms of steam consumption and power production.

Thus, you would only need 5 or 6 b9 ISEs to fully power a quarry.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't updated to the latest version, b9, but apparently Steam Dynamos are 80 RF/t and I'm assuming they consume steam at the same rate per RF, which would make them equivalent to the ISEs in terms of steam consumption and power production.

Thus, you would only need 5 or 6 b9 ISEs to fully power a quarry.
When did that change? As far as I know, all dynamo's produce 40RF/t max. I'd really like to know where the changelogs for TE3 are being posted. Searched the net for a while but couldnt find anything. The new wiki is quite minimal to say the least.

Last edited:

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Last edited: