Renewable bigreactors fuel - infinity

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Heya!

In other modpacks I normally set up an MFR drill, with cyan foci, and would power it with a big reactor. The drill would give enough fuel for about 2 reactors the same size, so i had a way to get a positive gain from that and self-sustain energy production.

In Infinity that doesn't seem to be the case, I set up the drill and all but i'm not getting any yellorite. Is this normal? Is yellorite disabled from the MFR drill?

If so, is there any way to renewably feed a big reactor? (my server is quite underpowered, so such a lag-free way of producing power helps a ton)

Reactions: Dentvar

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
It shouldn't be disabled but you can try for uranium ore as it is ore dict with yellorium and smelts and grinds to it. Make sure you have correct foci as well I am not sure which ones give what.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's the lime one for uranium.
By the way, are you using a turbine for yor reactor?

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
It shouldn't be disabled but you can try for uranium ore as it is ore dict with yellorium and smelts and grinds to it. Make sure you have correct foci as well I am not sure which ones give what.

When i noticed i wanst getting any yellorium i even checked both minefactory and bigreactors githubs, and neither seem to be registering yellorium as a laser-able material, could be totally wrong tho!, i have 3 cyan foci and a lime one, i havent gotten any yellorium, and i thing i didnt get any uranium either in a rather small sample of like 100 pieces (during that time the reactor ate like 40 yellorium ingots, so to break even i would need at least 20 ore). Maybe reactors in infiniy just eat too much fuel?

I think it's the lime one for uranium.
By the way, are you using a turbine for yor reactor?

No, it was a very basic 7x7x5 reactor with liquid ender and 4 fuel columns. I dont have nearly the infrastructure for turbine stuff.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
I really, really want to make a balanced pack out of some of the mods in Infinity. I think BR is the first to get struck with the nerfbat if I were to go through configs; it is easily accessible and gives droves of power attainable in the early/mid game stage. Once you have one reactor you can power more than one base with it as long as you have a yellorium source.

I really should make a custom pack. :(

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't the cyanite reprocessor give you back blutonium at a 1:1 ratio? That should allow you to fuel reactor indefinitely. Also you can use IC2 uranium instead of yellorium if you're running low on the latter.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't the cyanite reprocessor give you back blutonium at a 1:1 ratio? That should allow you to fuel reactor indefinitely. Also you can use IC2 uranium instead of yellorium if you're running low on the latter.
No, it's a 2:1 ratio. But still, it means that one yellorium can theoretically last twice as long.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
No, it's a 2:1 ratio. But still, it means that one yellorium can theoretically last twice as long.
Well, kinda. One Yellorium turns into one Cyanite. But it takes two Cyanite to make one Blutonium. After that, one Blutonium makes one Cyanite. Two more Cyanite remakes another Blutonium. So it's more like, 75%.

This is where one of the ancillary problems lays, in my eyes. Blutonium makes the same waste that Yellorium makes.

2 Yellorium = 2 Cyanite = 1 Blutonium = 1 Cyanite.

My opinion is that it could be:

64 Yellorium = 32 Cyanite = 8 Blutonium = 1 Cyanite (simple method.)

2:1 = 4:1 = 8:1.

That's kind of ICExp-esque but in my mind it offers much more balance.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Thing is, that would make blutonium a PITA to get in sufficient quantities for making turbines. It's not like yellorium is that rare anyway, so the ability to double your fuel supply isn't a huge deal.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Thing is, that would make blutonium a PITA to get in sufficient quantities for making turbines. It's not like yellorium is that rare anyway, so the ability to double your fuel supply isn't a huge deal.
Point completely missed -.-

BigReactors turbines are not meant for early game. So if you can farm Yellorium you must wait for the Blutonium (or spam reactor rods to get more output faster.) My understanding is turbines are a reward for being inefficient (just using a normal reactor) for a while to produce what you need to then build the turbine itself.

So yeah, I think that does balance it.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Point completely missed -.-

BigReactors turbines are not meant for early game. So if you can farm Yellorium you must wait for the Blutonium (or spam reactor rods to get more output faster.) My understanding is turbines are a reward for being inefficient (just using a normal reactor) for a while to produce what you need to then build the turbine itself.

So yeah, I think that does balance it.
Who says BigReactors aren't early game? They're not exactly expensive, the only resource bottleneck is yellorium which as I said isn't exactly rare. Besides, you can get surprisingly high efficiency even with a mere 3x3x1 reactor.

EDIT: Just noticed you said turbines aren't early game, not BigReactors as a whole. Never mind.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
How much Yellorium there is, how much it consumes and how much power it produces depend on the config. I don't know the values in Infinity though.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
If so, is there any way to renewably feed a big reactor? (my server is quite underpowered, so such a lag-free way of producing power helps a ton)
You could take a look at Gendustry for bee breeding. You need a bit of resources to use it, but in return you basically don't have to spend any time waiting for the right mutations from the RNG.

Make sure to check the bee outputs using NEI. In my own mod pack (mostly default mod configs) I went with yellorium bees first, but then noticed they only have 1/8 the yellorium output compared to radioactive bees. Both have 2% chance to make the special comb. Yellorium bees then have 25% chance to get yellorium grains, and you need 4 of those to craft a single yellorium dust. Radioactive bees instead have a 50% chance to produce crushed uranium ore, which smelts directly to yellorium 1:1.

I have 8 industrial apiaries now with full production upgrades running radioactive bees, and I'm gaining in yellorium. This is on a 100k RF/t big reactor (no turbines, cyanite reprocessor in use). The combined power draw of the apiaries is less than 800 RF/t and they seem to have a fairly low TPS impact.

One tip: If you are playing in hardcore mode or are otherwise concerned about dying, read up on the Austere bee before using it in an apiary (instant kill effect without Apiarist outfit).

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Well, kinda. One Yellorium turns into one Cyanite. But it takes two Cyanite to make one Blutonium. After that, one Blutonium makes one Cyanite. Two more Cyanite remakes another Blutonium. So it's more like, 75%.

1 yellorium = 2 fuel cycles.

1 yellorium ==> 1 cyanite ==> 1/2 blutonium
1/2 blutonium ==> 1/2 cyanite ==> 1/4 blutonium
1/4 blutonium ==> 1/4 cyanite ==> 1/8 blutonium
1/8 blutonium ==> 1/8 cyanite ==> 1/16 blutonium
1/16 blutonium ==> 1/16 cyanite ==> 1/32 blutonium
etc

In other words: 1 + 0.5 + 0.25 + 0.125 + 0.0625 + 0.03125 + etc

Taking just the above values we get 1.96875. Wich is already enough to see that we are aproaching 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChemE

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
1 yellorium = 2 fuel cycles.

1 yellorium ==> 1 cyanite ==> 1/2 blutonium
1/2 blutonium ==> 1/2 cyanite ==> 1/4 blutonium
1/4 blutonium ==> 1/4 cyanite ==> 1/8 blutonium
1/8 blutonium ==> 1/8 cyanite ==> 1/16 blutonium
1/16 blutonium ==> 1/16 cyanite ==> 1/32 blutonium
etc

In other words: 1 + 0.5 + 0.25 + 0.125 + 0.0625 + 0.03125 + etc

Taking just the above values we get 1.96875. Wich is already enough to see that we are aproaching 2.
I don't think so, because it takes two Cyanite to make one Blutonium. So you've cut your use in half right there. Yellorium is halved to make Blutonium.

1 yellorium = 1 fuel cycle, then 50% diminishing returns for each run after that. You will never hit 200%, as you put in your thing there. Also this is the whole reason that Cyanite use should be penalized more firmly, as I stated above.

If I have 64 Yellorium, I get 32 Blutonium. That Blutonium goes into the reactor and I get 16 Blutonium. So you do not get two runs PER Yellorium.

edit: the reason this is a logical fallacy is because say you have 64 Yellorium Ingots. How long can you power your reactor?

64 -> 32 -> 16 -> 8 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1 -> done, need more Yellorium.

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
One stack of yellorium can last seven fuel cycles before diminishing to a single cyanite. In this manner, you gain 127 units of fuel from the stack.

1. 64 yellorium -> 32 blutonium
2. 32 blutonium -> 16 blutonium
3. 16 blutonium -> 8 blutonium
4. 8 blutonium -> 4 blutonium
5. 4 blutonium -> 2 blutonium
6. 2 blutonium -> 1 blutonium
7. 1 blutonium -> 1 cyanite

With this reprocessing, you should have enough time/power to do more than just gather more fuel.

Edit: It would seem I need to refresh the thread before I post, as most of this had been said since I originally opened it.