Wither farming?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

tmthompson

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm playing in the new Infinity pack and I'm at the point where nether stars are needed in great quantity. Ive got some autonomous activators and spawning is going great, but other than setting up a suffocation box, I'm at a loss for how to kill him quickly and afk-able.

What has everyone else been doing for a nether star farm?

Reactions: dragon_fang101

Texaporta

Jul 29, 2019
laser drill. collect stars with extra utilities and a boatload of world interaction and speed upgrades so drill does not burn up the drops

Artea

Jul 29, 2019
The draconic evolution mob grinder will kill him instantly and is not destroyed by explosions. It also simulates a "player kill" so you'll get all the drops. The grinder can be coal powered or powered directly with a tesseract.

- Example Spawner. Has made me 800+ stars with no troubles. -
p54hC2P.png

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
The draconic evolution mob grinder will kill him instantly and is not destroyed by explosions. It also simulates a "player kill" so you'll get all the drops. The grinder can be coal powered or powered directly with a tesseract.

p54hC2P.png

this, so totally this. I found out about this earlier aswell and by far this is the best way to kill a wither.
and what's even more awesome about this method, the grinder only requires a bit of solid fuel to work.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
If you want a less OP solution then you can consider an RFTools shield which has been made Wither proof starting with 2.42 (Infinity 1.1.0).
Less impressive and OP compared to the draconic evolution solution but can be fun too :)

Artea

Jul 29, 2019
The DE stuff is somewhat unbalanced and buggy, but it's pretty fun.
Ender quarried the entire end-island with a silktouch upgrade just so I could get enough draconium to build the T6 energy storage above my base. I wish the energy ball did environment damage when active though.

tmthompson

Jul 29, 2019
If you want a less OP solution then you can consider an RFTools shield which has been made Wither proof starting with 2.42 (Infinity 1.1.0).
Less impressive and OP compared to the draconic evolution solution but can be fun too :)

The more OP the better. Ive got a nether star generator x8 powering the Draconic evolution energy storage. I wanna be able to push a button, spawn the wither and have it deposit the star as fast as possible lol

tmthompson

Jul 29, 2019
The DE stuff is somewhat unbalanced and buggy, but it's pretty fun.
Ender quarried the entire end-island with a silktouch upgrade just so I could get enough draconium to build the T6 energy storage above my base. I wish the energy ball did environment damage when active though.

there are the meteors that randomly spawn in the end as well as the guardian dragon dens that have a crap ton of draconic ore. any multiple of 10,000 in the end has a guardian. they are rather difficult though, even in enchanted Wyvern armor

Artea

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I got lucky and there were two comets just a little ways off from the main island which helped a lot. I have yet to try the guardians, but I have resurrected the end dragon twice now and have fully enchanted draconic armor - I'll give it a shot in the morning and try and kill one. 10 Red and yellow heart canisters and the thaumcraft runic shields should hopefully keep me up long enough the blast the bugger. Cheers!

tmthompson

Jul 29, 2019
I got it with some crafty flying skills, a draconic bow with power 5 and infinite 1 and protection enchanted wyvern. with all the cannisters possible.

Roughboulder

Jul 29, 2019
Draconic bow rapid fire with either many stacks of arrows or infinity, if you don't miss any shots, he cannot hurt you because of some cooldown that mobs have.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
you can spawn the wither with AE, teleport the wither to a killing chamber with mystcraft and kill him with botania flower. All this can be automated to spawn only when power is needed

TheHawkeye

Jul 29, 2019
Dude, I saw you on a Gaming on Caffeine video trying to get Issac to play your mod. Please stop advertising your mod, it's a good mod and just let people realize that instead of advertising it 24/7

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
So I'm testing a grinder, but the items and xp are still on the ground. How do I get them?

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012

p54hC2P.png

Was wondering what your set-up on the bottom looks like in regards to collecting xp and items.

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
Dude, I saw you on a Gaming on Caffeine video trying to get Issac to play your mod. Please stop advertising your mod, it's a good mod and just let people realize that instead of advertising it 24/7
Dude, it was a valid solution to the OP's scenario. Even if it's advertising, their post totally belongs there IMHO.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019

its a good thing when mod devs interact with the users, dont try and chase him away with your behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICountFrom0

Artea

Jul 29, 2019
Was wondering what your set-up on the bottom looks like in regards to collecting xp and items.

That server was a while back, so I probably don't have it anymore to take more screenshots.

From memory, the floor is solid reinforced obsidian. The Transfer Node (from extra utilities mod) can be placed up against the bottom middle and upgraded with World Interaction Upgrades to allow it to pick up items in the world. With two upgrades inside it has a reach far enough to grab the items out of the spawner without line of sight. I did not collect the exp orbs, as I had 100m+ Mb of liquid exp from my other (less explosive) spawners collected through a vacuum hopper, so I have not thought out an exp orb collection functionality.

When I get home from work i'll check if I have the old map files on my public server and fire it up.

*The transfer nodes are also the fastest cobblestone generators for making bedrockium drums, you can easily make tens of thousands of compressed cobble very cheaply (provided you can store it!)

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Thank you very much for that info. Will see what it can do in my test world and try to use it in my SP world.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm testing a grinder, but the items and xp are still on the ground. How do I get them?
An Extra utilites transfer node wiht world interaction upgrades can be placed below the floor of the killing room and will pick up the items through blocks.

My current setup uses AE formation planes to place the soul sand and skulls. It is around 20 blocks above the killing room to protect it from the wither explosion. The withers just fall down to the killing room and the DE grinder kills them. The whole setup is made with Ender IO reinforced obsidian and warded glass.

Here's what it looks like.

VMa8xs1.png

Last edited: