Redpower help on making a working computer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Simonqwadjke

Jul 29, 2019
Well as headline says I want to do an attempt at a computer in redstone, but I barely have any knowledge how ram, cpu and other components function at a component level.
I want to make it using RedPower mod as I play with the old 1.4.7 Direwolf20 pack, but from my understanding projectRed is the same so i guess that doesn't matter :p

I would like if anyone could help me by either link me or help explain to me how to do this.
Thanks in advance :)

Simonqwadjke

Jul 29, 2019
If someone have made a working 8 bit computer using simple vanilla redstone, how would this impossible?
I know there are countless designs of vanilla redstone computers and calculators, they have been around for some years now

I do know this is an insanely complex project but I just love expanding my redstone skills :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well as headline says I want to do an attempt at a computer in redstone, but I barely have any knowledge how ram, cpu and other components function at a component level.
I want to make it using RedPower mod as I play with the old 1.4.7 Direwolf20 pack, but from my understanding projectRed is the same so i guess that doesn't matter :p

I would like if anyone could help me by either link me or help explain to me how to do this.
Thanks in advance :)
Unless you decide to take up a university degree in computer science I don't think it is going to happen. It is not something you just do by reading a wiki or two.

You might find some educational projects for some logic contraptions somewhere which you could build. But think the working computer is a bit too ambitious without intimate knowledge on the subject beforehand.

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, computers are not simple projects. You're going to be doing a lot of reading and watching before you start.

If you want to start lookup how relay logic and solid state electronics work, and how to combine them into working circuits. Any proper handling of those two things will run in the low hundreds of pages.

Simonqwadjke

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not talking fullscale computer with operating systems and such, i'm talking simple stuff.
Some examples:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
i'm talking simple stuff.
What we are trying to tell you is that this "simple stuff" you are talking about is not that simple. It is in fact really really complicated and we cannot just give you a short briefing on what normally takes 5 years in university to understand.

Simonqwadjke

Jul 29, 2019
I am well aware its not simple stuff and that's not what I am aiming for, I'm aiming for making a "simple" computer meaning a very very little(not physically) computer with simple functionality, in form of a calculator and a writing machine (for simple strings), with an interface (large display of lamps)
And what I'm asking for is help on understanding such mechanics which I am well aware may not be just a little wiki or a 2 page guide but possibly some intensive learning.

The reason for this idea is that I would like to expand my knowledge in both a fun and educational manner :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I am well aware its not simple stuff and that's not what I am aiming for, I'm aiming for making a "simple" computer meaning a very very little(not physically) computer with simple functionality, in form of a calculator and a writing machine (for simple strings), with an interface (large display of lamps)
And what I'm asking for is help on understanding such mechanics which I am well aware may not be just a little wiki or a 2 page guide but possibly some intensive learning.

The reason for this idea is that I would like to expand my knowledge in both a fun and educational manner :)
Well Morberis already pointed out where you should start:
If you want to start lookup how relay logic and solid state electronics work, and how to combine them into working circuits. Any proper handling of those two things will run in the low hundreds of pages.

JohnOC

Jul 29, 2019
I'd probably start with adding binary numbers. Two rows of levers for input, and a row of lamps for output. Toggle in two binary numbers and read the result on the lamps.

If you understand the basics of electronic discrete logic, this wiki page probably has all you need. If not, it should at least get you started asking useful questions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adder_(electronics)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
What things have you made with Redpower/redstone already?

Sounds like you are too eager to jump in to the deep end...

Of the ocean.

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
I'm gonna jump in here and say: Good Luck.
But I'll leave you with some pointers I've picked up over my education.
1) 8-bits is your friend, it was a standard for a reason.
2) NAND gates are also your friend, since RP, P:R and BP all have these gates already built on one tile for you and can be used to do ALL logical and mathematical functions electronically.
3) Start small. Start with basic addition of two 8-bit words (Two bytes).
4) Grow from there with basic multiplication, then devise a system to switch between the two.
5) Pray to a deity of your choice, do some reading of electronic subtraction/division and try to build that into your system.

You now should have a basic calculator.
I have a diagram somewhere of a generic CPU if you get that far :p