Forge and Nova

Apparently I own this thread now...Is NOVA a good thing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Honestly, what I think would be better is an alternate mod loader that would be able to co-exist with forge. This would stop people spamming the forge team with their ideas and it would add in a bit of competition to make sure no-one got too big of a head.

Well, that alternate mod loader's Java 8 requirement spawned off this whole drama fight.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
honestly, unless it is absolutely terrible, i don't mind some version of something being required, as long as the default download for that thing meets the requirement.(currently, if you go to get java, it gives 8 by default so i don't care :p)

also, i like how in the beginning 1.7 was this evil monster version that performed horribly and basically ate kittens, and now we want to stay there.(it just seems funny to me ;))

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
also, i like how in the beginning 1.7 was this evil monster version that performed horribly and basically ate kittens, and now we want to stay there.(it just seems funny to me ;))
I guess the 1.8 case is worse, due to the rendering stuff, and the BlockState and BlockPos are not just annoying to code with but also take up more RAM and more garbage collector time

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
honestly, unless it is absolutely terrible, i don't mind some version of something being required, as long as the default download for that thing meets the requirement.(currently, if you go to get java, it gives 8 by default so i don't care :p)

No one ever likes updating. The mod devs don't like the work and players don't like that some mods inevitably get lost along the way.

Reactions: immibis

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
"Asshole dictator of the Minecraft Modding community"
At least he's honest.

also, i like how in the beginning 1.7 was this evil monster version that performed horribly and basically ate kittens, and now we want to stay there.(it just seems funny to me

Well now we've collectively tamed that monster is isn't so bad- the amount of work it took to get this far, and we're told 'do it all again for 1.8'
And kittens taste nice.

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-1_9-0-53.png
    upload_2015-2-1_9-0-53.png
    983.1 KB · Views: 109

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Or here's a shocking idea drop lex from the forge dev team. Since he seems to think it's become to much fing work. And I'm sure there are many who would love to lend there talent to such a noteworthy and important project.
Mod dev isn't supposed to be work. It's supposed to be fun. If he can no longer handle it he should quit and go make flash games.
Lex is the developer of Forge; the only way to replace him is to move to a fork.

I was going to add a small feature to forge for a small enhancement with the Configuration class (but I needed it on 1.7) however I was stopped by lex because he didn't want any new features into 1.7, all new features need to be in 1.8
It could be added to Minecraft Forkage, or another fork (although I don't know of any) - Minecraft Forkage is my intended long-term-support version of 1.7.10 Forge, based on the deeply introspective philosophy of "1.8 sucks". Unfortunately it's just getting started (and so doesn't have things set up yet e.g. no pre-build binaries; there will be a forum soon), and nowhere near critical mass. Ask me about a PR tomorrow, or if it's simple enough I can just add it myself.

Just add it anyway.
Its an open source public api designed to help modders by providing these sorts of functions- the version of MC shouldn't matter.
(given the vast majority of modders are using 1.7, this kind of behaviour somewhat detrimental to the modding community as a whole.)

Kinda makes me wonder if Lex is actually up to the job.
The problem with adding features to forks willy-nilly is that nobody actually uses your fork. Therefore, if your mod depends on the fork, nobody can use your mod - especially the big modpack makers who you really want to use it.

If forking Forge is the answer, then we need lots of people to support one fork.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
yea, I just saw this a few minutes ago...
it's sad but I can't blame them
Modding might actually die out at this rate, we have been losing so many since Microsoft took over and a bunch quit as a result and cpw doing the same thing did not help.