Does anybody have any info on Thermal Dynamics?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played a modpack with Thermal Expansion in it since they removed conduits, sort of my own personal protest (which hurts nobody but me of course).

When the heck is this conduit mod gonna be released? It's been many weeks since RWTema was announced as "coming to the rescue" of the mod.

Thermal Expansion used to be in my "favorite mods list" right up at the top but until this whole episode is over, it's closer to the bottom. Once they release Thermal Dynamics I'm sure it will jump right back up to the top of my list, but I'm really getting impatient and kinda fed up over this huge delay. What is going on, anyone know?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see why you won't use other mods?
Of course, I would love to see TE conduits too, I can finally see people stop using EIO conduits (they hurt my eyes), but there are many alternatives:
Buildcraft Kinesis/Fluid/Transport pipes
EnderIO conduits
Extra Utilities pipes
Mekanism Energy Cables (energy only ofc)
Refined Relocation relocators (items only I believe)
Pipes (fluid and items, I believe - I haven't used the mod before)
And of course there are others... but these are the main ones I use/have seen used

But as KingLemming stated a while ago, he didn't release Thermal Dynamics with TE because it would have prolonged the release of TE, but also because he wanted other mods to have a chance at being used for item/fluid/energy transfer.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies, the comments made are all very fair. I honestly don't know why I sorta "fell in love" with TE, but I fully admit to being a creature of habit with my Minecrafting. :)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Old TE conduits are dead to me now, EIO is just too good and replaced it hardcore. This new Thermal Dynamics would need a golden trump card (or maybe several) to one up EIO, and that's considering that AE 2 and even plain AE has been around for a long ass time.
The time of the duct has passed, it's gone the way of the BC pipe.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
TE ducts will still be of use to people who do not want to use EIO, for whatever reason. And we will never know what the new Thermal Dynamics will introduce.

Kinglemming wowed use before, I'm looking forward to be wowed again. :)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
TE ducts will still be of use to people who do not want to use EIO, for whatever reason. And we will never know what the new Thermal Dynamics will introduce.

Kinglemming wowed use before, I'm looking forward to be wowed again. :)

RWTema Author of ExUtil is doing most of Thermal Dynamics.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I just don't understand why it is taking so long.

If so many other mods have "done conduits correctly" (just look at Jordsta95's list!), what exactly is it about the Thermal Expansion mod that caused their conduits to be such a huge problem that it is taking many months to release a working product?

Maybe Azzanine is right? Maybe the "time of the TE duct has passed", never to return again? I know the only constant in life is "change", but that would make me sad.

Maelstraz

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's because RWTema needs to spent a lot of time to his other mods: FunkyLocomotion and ExtraUtilities. Exspecially first one.
At least there is version of working conduits on ForgeCraft. I hope so.

We can anytime switch unofficial name of mod to XYDynamics xD

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019

If so many other mods have "done conduits correctly" (just look at Jordsta95's list!), what exactly is it about the Thermal Expansion mod that caused their conduits to be such a huge problem that it is taking many months to release a working product?

Maybe Azzanine is right? Maybe the "time of the TE duct has passed", never to return again? I know the only constant in life is "change", but that would make me sad.
Well there were issues with item rendering and the blocks being a multipart if I remember correctly. See the mods which add item transfer do one OR the other. Buildcraft doesn't use microblocks to seperate 2 pipes next to each other, it uses facades. And every other mod doesn't show the stuff going through it.
But there are probably other reasons too. I remember that being one of the issues that was around near the early versions of TE

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Well there were issues with item rendering and the blocks being a multipart if I remember correctly. See the mods which add item transfer do one OR the other. Buildcraft doesn't use microblocks to seperate 2 pipes next to each other, it uses facades. And every other mod doesn't show the stuff going through it.
Mekainsm, ProjectRed and Blue Power pipes are all multiparts IIRC and they do render the items.

I guess the itemducts weren't originally designed for multipart compatibility, that's why the multipart compatibility caused problems in 1.6.4.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Mekainsm, ProjectRed and Blue Power pipes are all multiparts IIRC and they do render the items.

I guess the itemducts weren't originally designed for multipart compatibility, that's why the multipart compatibility caused problems in 1.6.4.
Oh yeah, I forgot about those >_<

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Of course, I would love to see TE conduits too, I can finally see people stop using EIO conduits (they hurt my eyes), but there are many alternatives:
Too small?
# Valid values are between 0-1, smallest conduits at 0, largest at 1.
# In SMP, all clients must be using the same value as the server.
D:conduitScale=0.2
(ok the server thing is not really that smart..)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Too small?

(ok the server thing is not really that smart..)
Too small, and everything being able to occupy one space... Each pipe type should be in it's own block, you shouldn't be able to have fluid and items (for example) be able to be transported down the same block line, in my opinion. (if that makes sense)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Too small, and everything being able to occupy one space... Each pipe type should be in it's own block, you shouldn't be able to have fluid and items (for example) be able to be transported down the same block line, in my opinion. (if that makes sense)
Completely understand. I too enjoy the challenge of wiring different cables, pipes and wires through cramped spaces. So far only really been using EnderIO conduits(in 1.6) for ME conduits due to it being able to make facades for all kind of blocks(as opposed to BC facades).

Reactions: immibis

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019

The problem is that Zeldo got a new job, I'm wrapping up a PhD, and there was a fundamental issue with FMP that created some intractable issues. Combine that with the fact that our total mod code approaches the size of Minecraft itself, and we merged two MASSIVE coremods with 1.7.10...well there ya go.

So, we wanted a full rewrite on them and there's just not enough time to do it and "real life" takes priority. Could we have ported the old code up and kept FMP dependency? Easily, but that would have created a host of issues.

Frankly, if TE is now on the bottom of your list or whatever, that's fine. TE being "dominant" in so many areas of modding is bad for the community and needed to end. It wasn't fair to other legitimately good mods, and it wasn't fair to us, who felt a ton of pressure to update every time. EIO deserved a fair shake and I'm glad it's getting some time to shine. We have a different idea of balance, so TD won't be "better" necessarily, but it'll be interesting, well-written, and enjoyable. It'll also look and feel Minecrafty. But no ETA, sorry. Progress is being made though, that much I know.

Last edited:

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
EIO was already a great mod before the Rise of the Lemming. It only got the recognition it deserved now due to people needing a pipe/duct replacement and TE didn't managed to get the ducts out in time due to RL.

Reactions: jokermatt999

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
@King Lemming
Am I correct to say that if modders want to emulate any of the existing mods' power system (including all kinds of explosion or what's not, they can do it with RF?)