pancakemaster24

Jul 29, 2019
With all the drama involved with Mojangs new model format I felt like it would be good to have a thread dedicated to it and all other 1.8 news involving modded Minecraft. So guys knock your selves out but do NOT start a flame war.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed. I have a feeling this thread'll die fast- 1.8'll be quite a while. Just look how long 1.7.10 took! We don't even have an official 1.7 pack out of Alpha yet! (dW20 doesn't count).

pancakemaster24

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed. I have a feeling this thread'll die fast- 1.8'll be quite a while. Just look how long 1.7.10 took! We don't even have an official 1.7 pack out of Alpha yet! (dW20 doesn't count).
True but I meant for this thread to be involved in all1.8 news not just the drama going on now

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019
Right now it's a bunch of unanswered questions. I currently have no upgrade path for my main aesthetic mod, so assuming LexManos does listen to all the things modders are doing with the current rendering model, I mainly have to wait to see what they come up with.

pancakemaster24

Jul 29, 2019
Well, since Forge is updated, a lot of mods will probably update soon. 1.8 isn't changing most mods that much, however some mods have problems with the new rendering system (some mods will need 95 gigs of json files). For me, it took about 20 seconds to update. I just had to change my imports.
Ya i think 1.8 will be easier to update to than 1.7 unless you have custom rendering.My question is how hard will it be for @Reika to update

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Anyone care to explain what the issue is? I missed this one, what did Mojang break now basically?
From what I recall, they have a new model format that uses JSON files to define the model. Sounds great. Should make designing custom models more accessible. Sure it is, for vanilla. Then, throw in mods that like to do things beyond cubes, suddenly, this new model format is a clunky old dinosaur. One of the modders calculated their mod would need a couple of gig of json files in the new format, and that mod isn't one of the major custom block users.

So in an ideal world, forge needs to add in a true custom block renderer (as in, restore the old version) so modders can totally bypass the json mess.

Then, add on top of all that the usual mixed reviews on performance being worse, even with all the "improvements" to the rendering system.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I feel that someone will come up with a custom renderer between now and the release of big mods/modpacks for 1.8

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I feel that someone will come up with a custom renderer between now and the release of big mods/modpacks for 1.8
Or Forge will reimplement the old ISBRHs. If they do not, I will.

Ya i think 1.8 will be easier to update to than 1.7 unless you have custom rendering.My question is how hard will it be for @Reika to update
Probably less difficult than 1.7, because aside from the Tessellator, less changed "meaningfully", unlike in 1.7 where the syntax of many things changed entirely.
Additionally, I usually just write wrappers for old code; my packet handler is still 1.6 code wrapped in a 1.7 frontend, and I will do the same to get around the ISBRH and BlockPos changes if necessary.

That said, as usual, I will only update when it is both convenient and useful to do so. Early updating alienates most players, and it forces you to trudge through thousands of func_348478_b and field_238972_c before others get around to naming them.

Reactions: xbony2

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
From what I recall, they have a new model format that uses JSON files to define the model. Sounds great. Should make designing custom models more accessible. Sure it is, for vanilla. Then, throw in mods that like to do things beyond cubes, suddenly, this new model format is a clunky old dinosaur. One of the modders calculated their mod would need a couple of gig of json files in the new format, and that mod isn't one of the major custom block users.

Even if your mod is 'just cubes' the new model system is a problem. If your block has multiple 'states', each one needs a JSON file. Even if you're just changing the texture, which is an incredibly basic feature. Stuff like pipes and cables, which often have 2^6 'states' will need 64 files per block. And mods like Chisel and Carpenter's Blocks? Let's not think about that.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Even if your mod is 'just cubes' the new model system is a problem. If your block has multiple 'states', each one needs a JSON file. Even if you're just changing the texture, which is an incredibly basic feature. Stuff like pipes and cables, which often have 2^6 'states' will need 64 files per block. And mods like Chisel and Carpenter's Blocks? Let's not think about that.
The answer is 2^areyouhavingalaughmojang?

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
So are texture packs going to have similar issues?

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019

What about TileEntitySpecialRenderer?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019

So in an ideal world, forge needs to add in a true custom block renderer (as in, restore the old version) so modders can totally bypass the json mess.

Then, add on top of all that the usual mixed reviews on performance being worse, even with all the "improvements" to the rendering system.

Well I got most of that;) Why did Mojang do it tho? I have no knowledge of programming outside a LUA script for a turtle, but if it's hurting mods so badly, surely it negatively impacts vanilla?