Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I don't necessarily think staying in one place for too long is good. Things stagnate after a while. Major vanilla changes always result in an influx of new mods, new people, and new ideas. We're at one of those points again where many mods are likely just going to die off, and it's always a bit exciting to see what comes out of that. I'm not particularly attached to 1.7.10 anyway. There's some nice things about it, but I still prefer 1.6.4.

Despite enjoying the changes as they come, I still play really old versions, even mod them on occasion. In fact, part of why I started making FMC was just to make it easier for me to pull some of these old versions apart. I used some of the early tools to remap and decompile a particular version of Classic a while back, even. Down the road I want to release mappings/patches/etc for old versions, too. Best case scenario is that I'll have time to implement some form of API that's similar for all the ones I want to support. But for the time being, 1.8.1 is what's relevant, so that's what I'm focused on while I actually get everything working.
I see both sides...if only we could have both...

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget that each wave of Minecraft updates bring with them stability, optimization and items.

TBH, I would prefer if we had a bi-update system, where alternate updates were skipped- ie skip 1.8, and go straight to 1.9.

But new is new, and oh so shiny.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I would not complain if mods never did - hell, we could implement every bit of new vanilla content if we felt like it - but the players will not take that for an answer.
They would if modders did. And modders would if players did. But the cycle has to start somewhere.

Some mods are already updated to 1.8, sadly.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see any big problems with updating to 1.8, as long as the main focus stays on 1.7.10. The only reason I updated was that none of the Forge hooks I used broke. I literally just had to click CTRL, SHIFT and O. I will still focus on 1.7.10.
  1. The TBs of JSON files.
  2. The render system that they said they optimized being a little bit wacky

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I think part of why modders are always moving forwards is that there's no support for Forge once the next one is out. And I don't believe that the permission to redistribute mappings extends beyond the Forge team, so nobody else could really come along and create a Forge LTS (long-term support) version for popular versions of Minecraft. After the Java 8 debacle, I don't think that inspires much confidence in developers to work on an outdated platform which could very abruptly stop working.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I think part of why modders are always moving forwards is that there's no support for Forge once the next one is out. And I don't believe that the permission to redistribute mappings extends beyond the Forge team, so nobody else could really come along and create a Forge LTS (long-term support) version for popular versions of Minecraft. After the Java 8 debacle, I don't think that inspires much confidence in developers to work on an outdated platform which could very abruptly stop working.
The mappings can be downloaded from the Forge website.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see any big problems with updating to 1.8, as long as the main focus stays on 1.7.10.

That never happens. Once a large mod updates to 1.8/1.7/1.6/1.5, all future updates are for 1.8/1.7/1.6/1.5.

Edit: Somehow I thought this forum had automatic double-post merging. Oh well.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
That never happens. Once a large mod updates to 1.8/1.7/1.6/1.5, all future updates are for 1.8/1.7/1.6/1.5.

Edit: Somehow I thought this forum had automatic double-post merging. Oh well.

It used to

----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
The mappings can be downloaded from the Forge website.

What about SRG names though? If they can't be distributed then the client/server would have to pull them from the internet, and if they ever change that location or stop distributing them, then you're pretty much in the same boat of things possibly not working in the future.

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
I personally do not plan to update my mods to 1.8 for the foreseeable future. It seems like a lot of work which developers could put into interesting features (but, of course, the same could be said of any update). The only really useful new thing in 1.8 is Sponge (which is still in its infancy - its API recently was declared in alpha) and I'm doing my best to backport it to Minecraft 1.7. The biggest reason, personally, is that I get a marginally playable 10 to 30 FPS on vanilla 1.8 (about half of 1.7, for reference), and adding additional code like Forge or mods will surely slow things down further.

Reactions: FyberOptic

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
My computer was a dumpster-diving find at my dad's office (they were cleaning out a lab, and basically tossed everything), plus a $30 graphics card and some RAM from the other computers they were throwing out. I guess I get what I pay for.