Would you play a pack that has greg tech in it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Would you play a pack that has greg tech in it?

• Yes(state why)

Votes: 42 65.6%
  • No(state why)

Votes: 22 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

karl2002

Jul 29, 2019
Heya guys.

so with ftb res in the works supposed to be like mindcrack/ultimate was and a 1.7 pack I intend on bringing my old server up for it.

but this got me thinking considering not every one likes gregtech would they decide to not play it or would.

created a poll please put in reasons in reply with reasons you may not or the ones why you would.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Having recently played both InfiTech (GregTech) and Direwolf (non-GregTech) 1.7 modpacks, there's just no comparison. In Direwolf, it took me two days of play to have mass quantities of all the ores in the game. In InfiTech, I played 3 weeks and still didn't find most of the ores yet. You must do a LOT of exploring and you cannot simply put a quarry down and 3 hours later after it reaches bedrock you have some quantity of all the ores in the game. Actually, you might not get any ores if you put a quarry at a random location.

That's just one difference, but I think it is the biggest difference between a GregTech modpack and a non-GT pack. The ore distribution is extremely different in GT, and I think that is what would prevent most "casual" players from participating. It takes a lot of dedication and motivation to keep going when day after day you just cannot find the ore that you need (such as tin, which everybody had a problem finding during early-game) and cannot progess any further until you do find some.

Personally, I love GregTech, but it seems to be one of those mods that people either love, or they hate, and there doesn't seem to be too many people who have an opinion somewhere between those two extremes.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, because I don't use IC, I stopped using it when I stopped using GT in the last GT vs Mdiyo war... I just don't like the author anymore, but the mod is great.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I have never tried GregTech but I have heared so many (good and bad) things about it that I sure want to try it out at some point. As I generally like things with a challenge it turns out that I may actually enjoy it :)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I just get bored after a while with modpacks like Direwolf. There's only like 12 ores in the whole game (I'm guessing but its close)! And some of the ores are pretty useless (like the ruby, sapphire and peridot gems). In GregTech, there are something like 100 or maybe even 200 ores to be found!!

For me, Minecraft is all about exploring and discovering, and about making a huge production facility. I'm not really a creative builder, nor a magic lover - I'm a tech guy. And GT is the "tech lover's mod", for sure. But with the ore distribution, it also becomes an explorer's mod. Since we don't have much stuff in Minecraft to explore and find (how many times can you discover a village or a Nether Fortress before it becomes ho-hum?), the ore distribution becomes our reason to go off exploring the world. There's nothing in a pack like Direwolf that makes me want to go thousands of blocks exploring the world. For what? In GT tho, you have to do it, even if you don't want to. :)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Something else I should mention - in my opinion, the electricity system in GregTech 5 is brilliant. I love what Greg did with volts and amps, and how it allows us flexibility in our power setups. I love how you have to think about your power cabling, and that if you don't do it right, stuff will light on fire and perhaps even explode! You have to know what you're doing.

karl2002

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah thats the thing about gregtech is it really prolongs your games it dos'nt take a few days to be highly advanced in the tech tree then wondering to yourself what to do with all that ore and materials you have collected. Atleast with gregtech there is a reason and you will never find yourself going Wth do i do with this ore next?

Its also lovely due to the fact it really prolongs a servers life time and people end up sticking around for much longer as everything takes so much more longer to do.

Karl

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
That's the key point for me. I don't like modpacks where I get bored after a week of play or so. I want to stay on a world for a long time. Forcing me into slower progression is a good way to do that. I'm not using Gregtech at the moment but the way I get this lower progression in the custom modpack that I'm playing is as follows:

• I use Tinkers Construct + Iguana Tweaks to make sure that I don't progress too fast with my tools
  • I use Hunger Overhaul, Spice of Life, Pam's Harvestcraft to make sure that I need a good food infrastructure before I can proceed with other stuff
  • I use weather2 + tornado's to add a challenge to living outside.
  • I use RotaryCraft + ReactorCraft to make my tech + power progression a lot more interesting (no Big Reactors in this modpack although it is an excellent mod)
  • I added various kinds of dangerous mobs and stuff to make sure I don't forget about protecting my base against those too.

Only by adding mods like these can I make sure that I don't finish the interesting bits in a few days.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Theres no simple 'yes' or 'no' answer for 1 mod.
Is the pack offer a well designed, well maintained experience that matches my preferred playstyle?
If you can answer yes, then its probably a pack I'll play- with or without Xmod.
If I'm looking to play a particular mod, then you still need to provide the above.
- just because I'm looking for Xmod doesn't mean that your pack with Xmod is any good for me.

Reactions: abculatter_2

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Theres no simple 'yes' or 'no' answer for 1 mod.
Is the pack offer a well designed, well maintained experience that matches my preferred playstyle?
If you can answer yes, then its probably a pack I'll play- with or without Xmod.
If I'm looking to play a particular mod, then you still need to provide the above.
- just because I'm looking for Xmod doesn't mean that your pack with Xmod is any good for me.
Your answer is wrong. You are wrong. You are just all, plain, super wrong.

Ahem *sips coffee*

Ok, back to humanity, that was all totally uncalled for.

I think the original question was worded such that anything else you add onto it is just elaboration.

Would you play a pack with GT in it or not? It doesn't matter how its configured or what other mods are in it. If the answer is "Yes, if it was a well designed pack with decent balance and IC2-NUCLEAR-EXPLOSION-CREEPERS-MOD(tm), then the answer is yes.

afaik, NECM doesn't exist btw, STOP LOOKING FOR THAT MOD.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Your answer is wrong. You are wrong. You are just all, plain, super wrong.
Ahem *sips coffee*
Ok, back to humanity, that was all totally uncalled for
We need more posts like this.

Would you play a pack with GT in it or not? It doesn't matter how its configured or what other mods are in it. If the answer is "Yes, if it was a well designed pack with decent balance and IC2-NUCLEAR-EXPLOSION-CREEPERS-MOD(tm), then the answer is yes.

"If you can answer yes, then its probably a pack I'll play- with or without Xmod."

afaik, NECM doesn't exist btw, STOP LOOKING FOR THAT MOD.
Care to explain that sir?

Lumaceon

Popular Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not Kansas
Getting into Gregtech when you're used to things like the DW20 pack is initially like smashing yourself in the foot. You suddenly find it so much harder to progress anywhere, but it being harder makes it that much more fun as a challenge.

As the people before already said, it keeps the game going much longer.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I would happily use Gregtech in a pack... if it didn't mess with vanilla recipes (Iron plates to make iron boots, NO THANK YOU) and the ore spawn wasn't annoying (yes it's more realistic, but it is also annoying)

Vogon

Jul 29, 2019
I would if i didnt have a 17 month old daughter, a stressful job and limited time to play... i just dont wish for the small amount of time i have to play to be spent on getting one ingot...
Dont get me wrong, i dont diss the mod, but myself personally i prefer the fun to the grind...

Vogon

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone always uses the word "grind" as if it means something.

Me and my 9 month old son love the "grind." Making farms is fun. Making scanning machines is fun. Making centrifuges is fun. Eating the keyboard is fun.

He...he mostly contributed the last one.
Again not saying its bad, saying im not up to it...

And what's wrong with a bit of keyboard with some lego on the side?