ReactorCraft Fission Reactor Designs

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
I have a couple of quick questions that don't quite rise to the level of their own thread and might be a little more complicated than the "simple question" thread.

High pressure turbine: is there a way to get the water out? The drippy, spraying water leads me to believe there must be a way to recover it....

Torque fluctuations: I am messing around with some reactor designs before I try this in survival. I am hooking the steam line into a high pressure turbine. I got up to 131 krad/s, but the torque fluctuates by around 10% (5 kNm). Is this a problem? Am I doing something wrong?

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I have a couple of quick questions that don't quite rise to the level of their own thread and might be a little more complicated than the "simple question" thread.

High pressure turbine: is there a way to get the water out? The drippy, spraying water leads me to believe there must be a way to recover it....

Torque fluctuations: I am messing around with some reactor designs before I try this in survival. I am hooking the steam line into a high pressure turbine. I got up to 131 krad/s, but the torque fluctuates by around 10% (5 kNm). Is this a problem? Am I doing something wrong?

reservoir behind it

normal

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
reservoir behind it

normal

Thanks. As I waited for a reply (was not expecting anything so soon, I did exactly that (reservoir). Duh. Makes sense (like everything else in Rotary/ReactorCraft once you figure it out). That collects "low pressure water", which I assume is not the same as regular water. There is that pressurizer thingy.....

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. As I waited for a reply (was not expecting anything so soon, I did exactly that (reservoir). Duh. Makes sense (like everything else in Rotary/ReactorCraft once you figure it out). That collects "low pressure water", which I assume is not the same as regular water. There is that pressurizer thingy.....
yup there is a pressurizer used for that ;)
I didn't play much with those but you will figure out how too make them work, i hope :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
A turbine dynamometer flywheel is in the works, and will (eventually) be done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

Optimoos

Jul 29, 2019
Wow! The single layer 6 core reactor produced 1.2 TJ in an hour with a full size HP turbine. That's.... mindblowing.

Small thread necro, I've been looking all over trying to understand how people are efficiently pulling steam out of their reactors, and this statement has me scratching my head. First, I assume you're talking about the 6 core reactor described in this picture:

reactors6-png.11769

If so, can you please indicate which boilers you're feeding water to and if different which boilers you're pulling steam from? I note that this diagram is from 23c and I'm running 25z, but I had to stack this reactor 5 high before I could sustain the full size HP turbine. I would love a little insight into how to get that kind of power out of a single layer 6 core reactor @Demosthenex or @Reika, thanks in advance!

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Small thread necro, I've been looking all over trying to understand how people are efficiently pulling steam out of their reactors, and this statement has me scratching my head. First, I assume you're talking about the 6 core reactor described in this picture:

reactors6-png.11769

If so, can you please indicate which boilers you're feeding water to and if different which boilers you're pulling steam from? I note that this diagram is from 23c and I'm running 25z, but I had to stack this reactor 5 high before I could sustain the full size HP turbine. I would love a little insight into how to get that kind of power out of a single layer 6 core reactor @Demosthenex or @Reika, thanks in advance!

That was three deep and the lowest level was where I added the water. There were problems with the stacking logic in 23 from what I recall, which made me stop experimenting with stacking reactors. 25 was supposed to fix those issues, but I haven't progressed to where I can test. I think the issues had to do with speed of water propagation upward and that reactors wouldn't pass their waste downward for collection even though you could fuel a stack of them from the top.

I also recall after 23 the HP turbine required more steam to get going and you have to feed it lube.

I must say that the HP turbine lube requirements on hard survival were a bit high. I think we were discussing using an MFR Oil producer and converting that to lube because farming can't keep up.

Optimoos

Jul 29, 2019
Always all of them.

Awesome, thank you for that!

I also recall after 23 the HP turbine required more steam to get going and you have to feed it lube.

So this is why I'm here asking. I stacked that 6 core reactor 5 high, which allowed me to start and run the HP turbine. However, I decided I wanted to see how regular turbines compared... well I got to 12 of them running (on water, not ammonia because the in-game book says no ammonia through the HP turbine) from that 5 high reactor at which point if I'd switched to ammonia I'd be tripling what the HP could do. This lead me to believe either I'm doing something wrong, or that the HP turbine provides materials and space efficiency, but not steam to power conversion efficiency.

I've found that "priming" the steam lines with a large amount of pressure before connecting to the HP turbine seems to alleviate the issue. Should I be doing this always, or should a reactor be able to spin up the HP turbine cold?

Answers lead to more question! Again, thanks in advance.

Reactions: Demosthenex

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
So this is why I'm here asking. I stacked that 6 core reactor 5 high, which allowed me to start and run the HP turbine. However, I decided I wanted to see how regular turbines compared... well I got to 12 of them running (on water, not ammonia because the in-game book says no ammonia through the HP turbine) from that 5 high reactor at which point if I'd switched to ammonia I'd be tripling what the HP could do. This lead me to believe either I'm doing something wrong, or that the HP turbine provides materials and space efficiency, but not steam to power conversion efficiency.

I've found that "priming" the steam lines with a large amount of pressure before connecting to the HP turbine seems to alleviate the issue. Should I be doing this always, or should a reactor be able to spin up the HP turbine cold?

Answers lead to more question! Again, thanks in advance.

Steam buildup was a big problem in measuring reactor output. If you are running 12 LP turbines, you should be able to power tow HP ones as I recall. I thought their output significantly was better. If you have too much steam built up you may find your 12 winds down...