ReactorCraft Fission Reactor Designs

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
For all of those suffering catastrophic reactor events in Monster servers I feel your pain. For the last couple weeks I had a beautiful little 6 core fission reactor running well in my server. I cycled it a bit while I played with the water feed system, trying to get the condenser and pressurizer working. Every once in a while I would mess up the condenser, let steam billow all over the reactor core, which would crash my client. No one else on the server was affected as long as they were out of rendering distance and the reactor didnt seem to mind (I had auxillary water being supplied from an AE extra cells setup).

Then I noticed waste wasnt decaying in my waste pond. Oh silly me, chunkloader radius isnt big enough to cover it, let me just fix that and then Im done for the night. My reactor wasnt even running when I logged off.
When I logged on, first thing I noticed was radiation poisoning. Took me a few minutes to figure out what the hell was going on. One of the containment units in the cooling pond had blown, spilling waste all over the pond, irradiating half of the island that was my base. Point to note, the other container just 4 blocks away was still there, ticking along happily. Anyone know how deep they have to be in order to guarantee sufficient cooling?

Any way, I felt justified in cheating away the radiation. Thanks again to @Demosthenex for describing the method a few posts up (Opis to kill radiation entities). Fingers cross Monster gets updated soon. Playing with Rotarycraft and co. makes me feel like the first time I cracked open a mod, the original industrial craft, many moons ago. So much fun figuring out how it all works.

I'm glad you found the posts useful. I'm delaying more posts at the moment while I compose our new server pack, which might be summarized as "Blood 'n Bones Lite and Rotarycraft", or "Laser Turrents and the Zombie Apocalypse".

As to cooling, you need at least one water source block next to the container, and it needs to be regenerated when it gets consumed. Mine were surrounded by water on five of six sides, and still blew with the chunk issues.

Reactions: madnewmy

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad you found the posts useful. I'm delaying more posts at the moment while I compose our new server pack, which might be summarized as "Blood 'n Bones Lite and Rotarycraft", or "Laser Turrents and the Zombie Apocalypse".

As to cooling, you need at least one water source block next to the container, and it needs to be regenerated when it gets consumed. Mine were surrounded by water on five of six sides, and still blew with the chunk issues.

I just realized if I get my water cooled storage working I'll need a spiller going full time because we intend to have FINITE water. Hope that's not a CPU hog.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Neutrons pile up because entities do not simulate in unloaded chunks.

Reactor simulations run even when the chunks are unloaded.

The TileEntity simulation code always runs, no matter what. I cannot make it selectively called, nor is there a way to know if the machine's chunks are unloaded, because all "does chunk exist" functions are hardcoded to return true.
And I do not appreciate being blamed for being unable to fix behavior in a state I cannot even detect.

So how do you use reactor craft without another techmod to provide chunk loading?

I just checked RotaryCraft 25g. No chunk loader in it, at least not listed on the machines by tier page.

===

What I'm trying to understand, and failing to: What makes the tile entities get called when the chunks they are in are unloaded?

I can understand your saying that your functions get called, and you can't tell if you are loaded or not.
I'm curious as to why you can't check a flag to see if any of your neutron entities have been ticked in the last few ticks -- the idea being that if a reactor is generating a neutron entity, it should be able to hold a reference to it for two ticks, and then ask if it's being ticked itself.

And I am completely lost as to why your function are being called, if the chunk they are in is unloaded.

Reactions: Elessar

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So how do you use reactor craft without another techmod to provide chunk loading?

I just checked RotaryCraft 25g. No chunk loader in it, at least not listed on the machines by tier page.
There is one, but it is not coded in.

What I'm trying to understand, and failing to: What makes the tile entities get called when the chunks they are in are unloaded?

And I am completely lost as to why your function are being called, if the chunk they are in is unloaded.
I have no idea. But I can confirm it to be true.

I'm curious as to why you can't check a flag to see if any of your neutron entities have been ticked in the last few ticks -- the idea being that if a reactor is generating a neutron entity, it should be able to hold a reference to it for two ticks, and then ask if it's being ticked itself.
I do not keep a cache of them, nor would that be a good idea. Holding references to entities or TileEntities after they are destroyed in-world - which is a likely occurrence for neutrons which may be despawned instantly - is very dangerous and leads to world leaks and corruption.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I do not keep a cache of them, nor would that be a good idea. Holding references to entities or TileEntities after they are destroyed in-world - which is a likely occurrence for neutrons which may be despawned instantly - is very dangerous and leads to world leaks and corruption.
Isn't this exactly what Java's weak references are for?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
So a little update. I finally built an RF generator to tack onto a fully power HP turbine. It's making 1,526,285 RF/t.

That's not a typo. Over ONE MILLION RF per TICK. *pinky smile*

OMG.

Last edited:
Reactions: abculatter_2

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika: Let me know if you want me to take this to the main support thread, but I thought it was more suitable here for the more advanced audience and because it is very mod specific.

I'm testing our new build with ReactorCraft v25g. I'm running a test server so I can measure chunk loaders problems with the reactor and the waste storage containers to see if I can make them safe this time in relation to the issues previously discussed in this thread.

I just ran into a major issue that is specific to our setup. We have infinite water disabled. Your pumps drain lakes and oceans dry and the dewpoint aggregator makes water with power, both of which are as intended (yes, hard server).

What I ran into is that the waste containers consume adjacent blocks of water and without infinite water they aren't being replaced. I tried cooling fins and they had no effect. I went to make a spiller to keep the pool full, and they are disabled (I assume you found a bug) though the changelog doesn't mention it.

Could I appeal to you to allow cooling fins to work on storage containers, and perhaps other reactor parts? The cooling fins get a cooling bonus for having adjacent water, and water is required to stop the radiation effects. There is a strong synergy in the extra costs of cooling fins on a submerged unit to keep it cool. It may also allow finite water world to safely store waste at the cost of extra steel and precious water.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I went to make a spiller to keep the pool full, and they are disabled (I assume you found a bug) though the changelog doesn't mention it.
That would be because they were disabled last year.

Could I appeal to you to allow cooling fins to work on storage containers, and perhaps other reactor parts? The cooling fins get a cooling bonus for having adjacent water, and water is required to stop the radiation effects. There is a strong synergy in the extra costs of cooling fins on a submerged unit to keep it cool. It may also allow finite water world to safely store waste at the cost of extra steel and precious water.
Even if they work, they will not work sufficiently well.
Finite water is one of those mods which likely will never have proper compatibility.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
That would be because they were disabled last year.

Hrm. Monster 1.1.2 is behind at 23c and they were there so I was surprised. I was planning to use them.

Even if they work, they will not work sufficiently well.
Finite water is one of those mods which likely will never have proper compatibility.

There appears to be an MFR fountain that can replace water blocks. I would be happy to keep the containers only half full (fins + 50% efficiency) to compensate with cost.

I'm aware we're making it really hard and it is unreasonabe to expect compatibility with everything. ;]

Reactions: madnewmy

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
So with Cauldron (latest MCPC+ for 1.6.4) and ReactorCraft v25g I have been running a hot (very unstable) reactor for several days without issue. Login/logout and chunk loading hasn't affected it.

Testing the storage containers with finite water has been a problem. I've built a container out of Buildcraft Flood Gates with unlimited water input, and I'm seeing an odd desync issue where sometimes the containers blow but I logout and back in and they are still there and fine. I may have to just void waste again on this server.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So with Cauldron (latest MCPC+ for 1.6.4) and ReactorCraft v25g I have been running a hot (very unstable) reactor for several days without issue. Login/logout and chunk loading hasn't affected it.

Testing the storage containers with finite water has been a problem. I've built a container out of Buildcraft Flood Gates with unlimited water input, and I'm seeing an odd desync issue where sometimes the containers blow but I logout and back in and they are still there and fine. I may have to just void waste again on this server.
That implies they are detonating clientside. I can fix this.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
That implies they are detonating clientside. I can fix this.

DId you update something between v23 and v25 you think may have impacted the chunk behavior? I'm thrilled it's working.

I also LOVE that the waste storage containers and the reactor cores all vertically share their inventories now. I want to start testing vertically tiled reactors.

On that note, has the upward mobility of water in a multiblock boiler been fixed? Last time I tried you could supply enough water at the base but it didn't migrate up the vertical boiler fast enough. Steam went immediately to the top.

Thanks again for your efforts, I'm so looking forward to trying this in survival!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
DId you update something between v23 and v25 you think may have impacted the chunk behavior? I'm thrilled it's working.

I also LOVE that the waste storage containers and the reactor cores all vertically share their inventories now. I want to start testing vertically tiled reactors.
...Now? That has always been present.

On that note, has the upward mobility of water in a multiblock boiler been fixed? Last time I tried you could supply enough water at the base but it didn't migrate up the vertical boiler fast enough. Steam went immediately to the top.
That still implies you have insufficient water.

Reactions: Demosthenex

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
...Now? That has always been present.

I thought you just added the stacking for waste containers. I know there was a bug in waste in the reactors which I'm excited to test for.

That still implies you have insufficient water.
I was pumping water into the bottom of a tall stack, and it looked like it couldn't push up more than 100mB per second. I had to add more fluidducts up the sides. But that was in v23c.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I thought you just added the stacking for waste containers. I know there was a bug in waste in the reactors which I'm excited to test for.
That is different from sharing inventories.
Yes, that is new.

I was pumping water into the bottom of a tall stack, and it looked like it couldn't push up more than 100mB per second. I had to add more fluidducts up the sides. But that was in v23c.
Fluiducts are your problem. They are limited to 100mB/t, and woefully inadequate for any fission reactor.
Also, side connections do nothing on boilers.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Fluiducts are your problem. They are limited to 100mB/t, and woefully inadequate for any fission reactor.
Also, side connections do nothing on boilers.

I have noticed that reservoirs and liquid pipes are much much better for throughput.

I just tried making a 20 tall boiler with both liquiducts (slow) and your liquid pipes (much faster), and at the top it still very slowly fills compared to the bottom. There's easily a gradient all the way down. Steam migrates upward instantly, heat transfers each direction per tick, but water still seems to go upward slowly.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019

I was working on getting dewpoint aggregators to put out a decent volume when imagine my surprise when the reservoirs started filling from rain! That's awesome!