So... How long until someone writes MineClon from scratch?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
facebook also buys things to kill them off to maintain their monopoly

Man, I love blanket statements like this. They make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

It will first be used for immersive games, but Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg promised the headset will 'change the way we work, play and communicate' - although virtual worlds could include advertising admitted Zuckerberg.

A commercial version is rumoured to launch in 2015.

R.I.P Oculus amirite?

http://gizmodo.com/facebook-could-give-you-the-oculus-you-always-wanted-1551561433
http://www.ibtimes.com/facebook-completes-oculus-rift-purchase-goes-hiring-spree-1635650

Okay, I'll stop. :)

Reactions: YX33A and RedBoss

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think that Microsoft is going to be trying to wring nickels and dimes out of people who have already purchased the game, I think (as someone else mentioned) that their real strategy here is being able to cash in on all the merchandise and side-projects with the minecraft name on it.

I'm glad someone mentioned the minecraft movie; now that they own the company and game, they also own all the imagery of the game. We could be seeing spin-off games within the year - maybe a fps battle arena with minecraft aesthetics? RTS village-building game? RPGs or racing games or even a game where a bunch of creepers play soccer. Not to mention (again, as someone else did) all the hats and shirts and creeper heads and foam picks they'll be pushing out in time for the holidays, no doubt. Microsoft could do literally anything they wanted, slap the minecraft name on it, and make fat stacks of cash without changing so much as a pixel of the main game. They didnt buy mojang just because they thought minecraft was worth 2.5 billion, but because the fan base and name recognition are also worth 2.5 billion.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I don't think that Microsoft is going to be trying to wring nickels and dimes out of people who have already purchased the game, I think (as someone else mentioned) that their real strategy here is being able to cash in on all the merchandise and side-projects with the minecraft name on it.

I'm glad someone mentioned the minecraft movie; now that they own the company and game, they also own all the imagery of the game. We could be seeing spin-off games within the year - maybe a fps battle arena with minecraft aesthetics? RTS village-building game? RPGs or racing games or even a game where a bunch of creepers play soccer. Not to mention (again, as someone else did) all the hats and shirts and creeper heads and foam picks they'll be pushing out in time for the holidays, no doubt. Microsoft could do literally anything they wanted, slap the minecraft name on it, and make fat stacks of cash without changing so much as a pixel of the main game. They didnt buy mojang just because they thought minecraft was worth 2.5 billion, but because the fan base and name recognition are also worth 2.5 billion.

I just had a thought... A Minecraft store in every Microsoft store... A central location for all things Minecraft?

[Edit] New thought... Could Microsoft use the Minecraft Store idea to potentially partner with places like Best Buy/Walmart/Target and maybe even get Microsoft Stores into these sites?

Wow. An Inception moment... I think my brain just imploded. That or the Taco Bell dinner has finished vaporizing :D

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A and Wagon153

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
I just had a thought... A Minecraft store in every Microsoft store... A central location for all things Minecraft?

Heck why not? The best way for Microsoft to monetize off of minecraft is to make stuff that we wanna buy. And I'm a-ok with people making stuff I wanna buy.

I mean, a lot of folks were kinda skeptical when disney bought Star Wars, but the end result seems to be that we get 3 new movies, a re-release of the unaltered version on DVD, and way more merch. As far as the movies go, it might be too soon to say, but a least for now, I'm calling that a win.

It's impossible to say at this stage, but Microsoft may have plans for minecraft that far out-scope the game itself. Minecraft themepark? A whole series of spin-off games? There's a lot of possibility, and I am cautiously optimistic that Microsoft will, at the very least, not completely yank the rug out from under us.

Reactions: YX33A

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Terasology and Minetest already exist, and I'm sure there's countless others. I even started working on my own months ago, until I had a "why am I doing this when I can just play Minecraft" moment.

The two I mentioned are a bit resource-intensive compared to Minecraft, but maybe they'll work that out over time.

EDIT: Derp nevermind, I realized you already mentioned them, just not by name.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Terasology and Minetest already exist, and I'm sure there's countless others. I even started working on my own months ago, until I had a "why am I doing this when I can just play Minecraft" moment.

The two I mentioned are a bit resource-intensive compared to Minecraft, but maybe they'll work that out over time.

EDIT: Derp nevermind, I realized you already mentioned them, just not by name.

Finally someone talking about the actual topic *-* As I have no clue about minecraft code (except for some minor tweaks I made for my minecraft which required almost no knowledge and just trial and error) I may be talking random crap, but in the event of a port, could the developer use the code found on minecraft to make a similar engine with the improvements we all been looking for? (Hyperthreading for example, for the one who is going to correct, yes I know we already have it in chunk loading, awesome, but minecraft is not about chunkloading.) Or it would need a new engine for it to work that way? I recall reading from a modder that making minecraft support hyperthreading would require a ton of code, but I dont know if it's in the engine or its because of the rendering engine, lighting, or whatever..

"Pure Ironic shit"

Yes, an opinion, people are allowed to have them, right? Can't take it? Then a forum is not the place for you to be, if you expect something big as this topic to not have people talking about it, with the information they have (Which is not "clueless" fyi) and with their own opinion, then just don't participate, if it angers you, then don't participate, ignore this thread completely if you are not going to give facts or your opinion, coming to judge people is, first, not nice, and second, worthless.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, an opinion, people are allowed to have them, right? Can't take it? Then a forum is not the place for you to be, if you expect something big as this topic to not have people talking about it, with the information they have (Which is not "clueless" fyi) and with their own opinion, then just don't participate, if it angers you, then don't participate, ignore this thread completely if you are not going to give facts or your opinion, coming to judge people is, first, not nice, and second, worthless.

Hey man, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something? Slow your roll, dogg.

Funny regardless :D

I apologize if you find my opinion of your opinion not quite what you were expecting as a response, however, it is only my opinion.

edit: in case you didn't notice what I actually did, I snipped large portions of your original post to make one coherent and true sentence.

boborene

Jul 29, 2019
Can you give an example as a link that we can read? But you know that there are many ways to make money.

First then it will take more time than one month to make and for the second I have a fulltime job. I have been trying in my sparetime to see what it takes to make a MC clone and no... its NOT difficult. It take time and cost money. Money because you need to have a place to sleep, pay power for computer, food etc.

Im not a fanboy but Im just tired of seeing that "oh its so bad they sold MC and now everything is catastrofic"

Im not trying to stop you from having an opinion - and I can also may be wrong but nobody knows what Microsoft has of plans with Mojang.

And by the way. The amount Microsoft paid for Mojang is so little compared to the fortune Microsoft have - so who says they need to make money on it at once?

Are you some kind of naive guy?

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Are you some kind of naive guy?
Wait, so pointing out that Microsoft didn't spend $2.5 billion on one of the most recognisable games in recent history in order to destroy it in a short-sighted attempt to make back their money is naive?

It is in Microsoft's best interests to keep Minecraft thriving - it is one of very few games ever made that have cross-generational appeal. If you count in that there's plenty of money to be made off of merchandising and licensing the game to PS4 and mobile devices without even altering anything about the game or adding microtransactions, then all the doom and gloom is a massive overreaction. To kill off such a potentially lucrative game with draconian measures is not in their interest and they know it.

Minecraft is, in itself, not an amazing game. It is the interaction between players, the vision of the players, and the creations of the players (be they mods, maps, or even just builds) that make it what it is. Microsoft will not mess with that lightly.

Your accusation in the other thread of Minecraft going online only? Sure, Microsoft knows how well that one worked out for EA with Sim City. Not to mention the cost to them of running all the servers for every Minecraft player in the world.

Minecraft is like a goose that laid a golden egg. Microsoft isn't going to kill that goose to eat when they can let it keep laying.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Wait, so pointing out that Microsoft didn't spend $2.5 billion on one of the most recognisable games in recent history in order to destroy it in a short-sighted attempt to make back their money is naive?

It is in Microsoft's best interests to keep Minecraft thriving - it is one of very few games ever made that have cross-generational appeal. If you count in that there's plenty of money to be made off of merchandising and licensing the game to PS4 and mobile devices without even altering anything about the game or adding microtransactions, then all the doom and gloom is a massive overreaction. To kill off such a potentially lucrative game with draconian measures is not in their interest and they know it.

Minecraft is, in itself, not an amazing game. It is the interaction between players, the vision of the players, and the creations of the players (be they mods, maps, or even just builds) that make it what it is. Microsoft will not mess with that lightly.

Your accusation in the other thread of Minecraft going online only? Sure, Microsoft knows how well that one worked out for EA with Sim City. Not to mention the cost to them of running all the servers for every Minecraft player in the world.

Minecraft is like a goose that laid a golden egg. Microsoft isn't going to kill that goose to eat when they can let it keep laying.
I hope M$ understands that minecraft is a goose instead of a golden chicken

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I hope M$ understands that minecraft is a goose instead of a golden chicken
So do I. They paid enough for it that I'm hopeful, and I'm pretty sure they're aware of the consequences of being seen as the company that destroyed a gaming phenomenon.

boborene

Jul 29, 2019

ms has to recover 2.5b + interest and profit from minecraft. Who will pay that? Clients. I dont expect from ms to give me a 15$ game with open modding and free devs community that enjoy all of us for almost 3 years with upgrades and gorgeous mods, textures, addons, plugins, free servers in same 15$ price.

Who is naive here?

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I pointed who will pay that.
Sony will, to be able to offer it on PS4.
Apple will, to be able to offer it on iOS.
Google will, to be able to offer it on the android store.
Merchandisers will, in order to be able to sell Minecraft Merchandise.
TV and film companies will, in order to be able to make spin-off shows and movies as has been talked about in the past.

In addition, Microsoft now no longer has to pay to offer it on their platforms. Money saved is money recovered. The price has been more than $15 for a while now anyway - it was about £20 when I bought it, and the pound is worth more than the dollar (Microsoft paid the equivalent of £1.5 billion pounds).

Free servers? No server is ever free. Realms wasn't free. Someone may be meeting all the costs themselves, but their is no such thing as a free server.

As I said above, Minecraft is not a great game, it's a great community. Microsoft could have knocked up something similar in about a month for far less than they paid for Minecraft. They bought the community, and I doubt they've done so to throw it under a bus. If they do, they've thrown $2.5 billion under the bus as well. Not to mention years of being remembered as the company that destroyed the biggest sensation in gaming in recent years.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Finally someone talking about the actual topic *-* As I have no clue about minecraft code (except for some minor tweaks I made for my minecraft which required almost no knowledge and just trial and error) I may be talking random crap, but in the event of a port, could the developer use the code found on minecraft to make a similar engine with the improvements we all been looking for? (Hyperthreading for example, for the one who is going to correct, yes I know we already have it in chunk loading, awesome, but minecraft is not about chunkloading.) Or it would need a new engine for it to work that way? I recall reading from a modder that making minecraft support hyperthreading would require a ton of code, but I dont know if it's in the engine or its because of the rendering engine, lighting, or whatever..

Even though Minecraft does its share of multithreading, more so now than it used to (I count 15 threads running when you're in a singleplayer world), it's not really a cure-all for performance issues, because the problem now becomes synchronization. Sometimes one thread has to wait for another thread, either to get its result or to wait on it to stop messing with something that it also wants to mess with. Depending on the tasks, how they interact, and the person's computer, you can actually notice worse performance or more wasted CPU cycles than if the entire thing were just single-threaded. I think this is partially the case with 1.8 currently, but I have no way to confirm it at this point.

You can't really use the game's code for any other projects, though, if that's what you mean. Even after being decompiled and deobfuscated, it's still Mojang's property. And to be blunt, Minecraft is such a mess now that I would recommend against anyone trying to clone its structure these days. Given the amount of code growth compared to the amount of features added, it's just plain bloated. Just to give you an example, there's an enum class for the bed which has the sole purpose of specifying "HEAD" or "FOOT". That's it.

Another problem that we may face, or at least something that I've noticed for myself, is that when I tried to make my own voxel engine, I found myself mimicking a lot of Minecraft's structure and naming schemes, since that's just ingrained in my head as the logical way to go about doing some of this stuff. I realize it's still my code, but I wouldn't have designed it that way without having knowledge of Mojang's code, so I'm not even sure of the legality of such a thing.

boborene

Jul 29, 2019
I pointed who will pay that.
Sony will, to be able to offer it on PS4.
Apple will, to be able to offer it on iOS.
Google will, to be able to offer it on the android store.
Merchandisers will, in order to be able to sell Minecraft Merchandise.
TV and film companies will, in order to be able to make spin-off shows and movies as has been talked about in the past.

In addition, Microsoft now no longer has to pay to offer it on their platforms. Money saved is money recovered. The price has been more than $15 for a while now anyway - it was about £20 when I bought it, and the pound is worth more than the dollar (Microsoft paid the equivalent of £1.5 billion pounds).

Free servers? No server is ever free. Realms wasn't free. Someone may be meeting all the costs themselves, but their is no such thing as a free server.

As I said above, Minecraft is not a great game, it's a great community. Microsoft could have knocked up something similar in about a month for far less than they paid for Minecraft. They bought the community, and I doubt they've done so to throw it under a bus. If they do, they've thrown $2.5 billion under the bus as well. Not to mention years of being remembered as the company that destroyed the biggest sensation in gaming in recent years.

little penny
free server are free servers. I can made my client and server to play free with my friends. Look on market today and tell me how many games are free to be played outside control of the mother company? minecraft was free server (and that include modding and such) except login part. And if you are not able to understand the concept of server control on client population, you must return to marketing lesson.

I dont care for 2.5b thrown under bus by ms. I care about the game and concept. Really, do you think will be more clients for a product already old on market? You must be illusional to consider the product will sell another 15 million copies when already potential target clients have it. So, the money must be extracted from same client group.
History with ms it is long and was somehow interconnected with all my life and all experience with them point on my direction not in your. Name a single ms game with same success as minecraft that was inside born and breed.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Name a single ms game with same success as minecraft that was inside born and breed.
Name a single game from anyone that has had the same sort of lasting success as Minecraft. Minecraft was available from alpha back in 2009, and has been bought for billions 5 years later.

And free servers? You can set up your own, but you need to pay for the internet to connect to them, you need to pay for the hardware, you need to pay for the power. Alternatively you can pay for server hosting. Either way, no server is free.

See, the funny thing is, Minecraft combines continued uptake with user retention. Some people have been playing since alpha. Others were barely born when alpha was released. As long as the community continues, the sales will too. MInecraft is not going to made obsolete by the things most games suffer from because most of the content is player-driven. Every Super Hostile map? A new game. Every new mod? Again, new game. As long as the community is allowed to keep creating, I believe Minecraft will carry on too, as the die-hard fans remain and new people discover it.

If there is one thing that will end Minecraft, it will be the alienation of the player base. Microsoft will be aware of this. Microsoft will avoid this. Or they will see their money burn.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Even though Minecraft does its share of multithreading, more so now than it used to (I count 15 threads running when you're in a singleplayer world), it's not really a cure-all for performance issues, because the problem now becomes synchronization. Sometimes one thread has to wait for another thread, either to get its result or to wait on it to stop messing with something that it also wants to mess with. Depending on the tasks, how they interact, and the person's computer, you can actually notice worse performance or more wasted CPU cycles than if the entire thing were just single-threaded. I think this is partially the case with 1.8 currently, but I have no way to confirm it at this point.

You can't really use the game's code for any other projects, though, if that's what you mean. Even after being decompiled and deobfuscated, it's still Mojang's property. And to be blunt, Minecraft is such a mess now that I would recommend against anyone trying to clone its structure these days. Given the amount of code growth compared to the amount of features added, it's just plain bloated. Just to give you an example, there's an enum class for the bed which has the sole purpose of specifying "HEAD" or "FOOT". That's it.

Another problem that we may face, or at least something that I've noticed for myself, is that when I tried to make my own voxel engine, I found myself mimicking a lot of Minecraft's structure and naming schemes, since that's just ingrained in my head as the logical way to go about doing some of this stuff. I realize it's still my code, but I wouldn't have designed it that way without having knowledge of Mojang's code, so I'm not even sure of the legality of such a thing.

Well, thanks for the explanation, pretty clear and concise :p I kind of changed my mind about a clone, I wouldn't like to start playing on something (and moders wouldn't like to waste time modding I suppose) something that could get some legal harassment (and again, it's microsoft we are talking about so if they see it fit, they'll do it xD)..

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Name a single game from anyone that has had the same sort of lasting success as Minecraft. Minecraft was available from alpha back in 2009, and has been bought for billions 5 years later.

And free servers? You can set up your own, but you need to pay for the internet to connect to them, you need to pay for the hardware, you need to pay for the power. Alternatively you can pay for server hosting. Either way, no server is free.

See, the funny thing is, Minecraft combines continued uptake with user retention. Some people have been playing since alpha. Others were barely born when alpha was released. As long as the community continues, the sales will too. MInecraft is not going to made obsolete by the things most games suffer from because most of the content is player-driven. Every Super Hostile map? A new game. Every new mod? Again, new game. As long as the community is allowed to keep creating, I believe Minecraft will carry on too, as the die-hard fans remain and new people discover it.

If there is one thing that will end Minecraft, it will be the alienation of the player base. Microsoft will be aware of this. Microsoft will avoid this. Or they will see their money burn.

Warcraft? Dota? Starcraft? World of Warcraft? Runescape? League of Legends? Counter Strike? They had a fuck ton of success and lasted for years.. Runescape is dying because they been bought by the same company that bought maple story and now the game is just bad (Played 10 years Rs, so I've seen it fall and rise many times but this one time, and because a money hungry corporation *Wink Wink* bought it, it's falling on the darkest pit ever).. There are plenty of games with as much and even more success than minecraft.. Minecraft was just the luckiest of indies, but that doesn't mean its the best game or the most successfull one.. And also, let me tell you something, minecraft is crap. Real Crap. That's why we are here, because without mods, minecraft wouldn't have a single chance.. Youtube? Twitch? Servers? Yeah.. All good, but after a while there is no way a normal person would keep playing minecraft as it is in vanilla.. So minecraft is not successful (In my opinion), minecraft is the platform where successful mods run and make us all the happy bunch we are in this blocky universe..

EDIT: Wrong quote, the message was meant for bobo.. xD

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Warcraft? Dota? Starcraft? World of Warcraft? Runescape? League of Legends? Counter Strike? They had a fuck ton of success and lasted for years.. Runescape is dying because they been bought by the same company that bought maple story and now the game is just bad (Played 10 years Rs, so I've seen it fall and rise many times but this one time, and because a money hungry corporation *Wink Wink* bought it, it's falling on the darkest pit ever).. There are plenty of games with as much and even more success than minecraft.. Minecraft was just the luckiest of indies, but that doesn't mean its the best game or the most successfull one.. And also, let me tell you something, minecraft is crap. Real Crap. That's why we are here, because without mods, minecraft wouldn't have a single chance.. Youtube? Twitch? Servers? Yeah.. All good, but after a while there is no way a normal person would keep playing minecraft as it is in vanilla.. So minecraft is not successful (In my opinion), minecraft is the platform where successful mods run and make us all the happy bunch we are in this blocky universe..

EDIT: Wrong quote, the message was meant for bobo.. xD
I would probably play vanilla if I had a decent group of people. I'd prefer modded, and I wouldn't play vanilla in singleplayer, but Minecraft is a platform for interaction, and that's where a lot of the value is.

Reactions: RedBoss and YX33A

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I would probably play vanilla if I had a decent group of people. I'd prefer modded, and I wouldn't play vanilla in singleplayer, but Minecraft is a platform for interaction, and that's where a lot of the value is.
Exactly. Minecraft isn't really content driven unless added via the community in the forms of maps, plugins, mods, etc. Warcraft amd other things are content driven. They need new content or they die. Minecraft is digital Legos. My buddy still has his Lego sets from the 80s and his kids play with them and their new Lego sets. We dont know that Minecraft will last 30 years or more, butits open ended enough that it could.

Outside of Microsoft re-making it into a content driven game, I doubt it'll wane in popularity anytime soon. It would actually behoove them to optimize code since it would broaden the user base. Lower ended systems could then have access to the game.