So... How long until someone writes MineClon from scratch?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Hello guys, with mojang already bought by Microsoft (and I know we dont have a single clue about what will happen with minecraft but it's easy to predict based on experience...), I'm pretty sure that someone (A modder maybe, not to call names but I mean modders with as much experience as King or the forge developers) will eventually develop a new minecraft from scratch but more modder friendly and Open Source so it's easier to maintain.. Good think we already have minecraft so it's actually possible to copy how the code works without falling into copyright by doing an actual copy-paste.

So, what are your opinions on this? I know there is 2 minecraft clones that are looking good, but they've been in development for too long and they haven't made too much progress, besides one of them is in C++ (Hard to mod)..

Also, microsoft buying minecraft means that they will start to charge server owners for their pay-to-win real life transactions to maintain servers up.. If not, how would they get their money back? Also, and maybe a little more complicated, I think they may start charging royalties to other companies.. I know in the blog mojang said that microsoft wouldn't stop development for other companies, but I can't believe that they are not going to charge, for instance, sony to keep minecraft in the play station consoles.. Which could mean 2 things: Either sony pays and minecraft become expensive as fuck or they don't and a lot of people lose. Either way, microsoft wins.

I know its hard to code a game, but we have people that work on big mods like buildcraft or industrialcraft, Im sure if al modders do the power rangers thingy and become one super mega fucking modzord we can pull this shit out and be all happy about it :p

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Also, microsoft buying minecraft means that they will start to charge server owners for their pay-to-win real life transactions to maintain servers up..

Says who? If you dont have information about that then stop to say it.

I think they may start charging royalties to other companies
Says who?

I know its hard to code a game
No its not. Just need planned right

With the deal Microsoft has now access to millions of players who is playing an interesting game and I imagine that this type of game could be the next big thing. Why not just wait and see what they will do?

There are many MC clones and some are good and some bare bad but lets see what will happen instead of thinking the worst ever..

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Says who? If you dont have information about that then stop to say it.

Says who?

No its not. Just need planned right

With the deal Microsoft has now access to millions of players who is playing an interesting game and I imagine that this type of game could be the next big thing. Why not just wait and see what they will do?

There are many MC clones and some are good and some bare bad but lets see what will happen instead of thinking the worst ever..

1) Im the OP so, I guess im the one saying it? I have information about it, I know that minecraft isn't selling enough copies to get microsoft back 2,5b and they are not a charity, so they have to get money from something, and they already started charging for something as casual as Skins, so yeah, pretty much logic.

2) Again, says me, I also started that phrase with "I think" so I guess you are not good at reading? The " I " means me, and the "Think" means opinion.. Can't take it? Im sorry I'm not sorry.

3) If it's not hard then just plan it and make bank like Mojang, come on, I dare you.. It's easy isn't it? Do it. Now. Im expecting results in one month. Dude, if you don't like me saying that microsoft will be ruining thing, that's ok, you can have your opinion, but don't fanboy please.

4) Finally you are giving your opinion without messing with mine, could you do it that way next time so I don't have to waste my time explaining to you what an opinion means (Says me, of course, before you ask) and how to read english properly.

I don't get why people can't take others opinion, it's not like im saying something that came out of thin air, microsoft is know for its millionaire purchases that ultimately led to the destruction of a ton of stuff, not only games.. INFORMATION is what made me worry, if microsoft hadn't messed up so much stuff as they did, then I wouldn't be here asking for this, thinking about it, worrying about it. INFORMATION is what I have, and information is what tells me that its going to rain shit over us xD So chill dude, I may be wrong, we'll see, but you can't stop me from having an opinion, so don't try, it's insulting.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
1) Im the OP so, I guess im the one saying it? I have information about it, I know that minecraft isn't selling enough copies to get microsoft back 2,5b and they are not a charity, so they have to get money from something, and they already started charging for something as casual as Skins, so yeah, pretty much logic.

2) Again, says me, I also started that phrase with "I think" so I guess you are not good at reading? The " I " means me, and the "Think" means opinion.. Can't take it? Im sorry I'm not sorry.

3) If it's not hard then just plan it and make bank like Mojang, come on, I dare you.. It's easy isn't it? Do it. Now. Im expecting results in one month. Dude, if you don't like me saying that microsoft will be ruining thing, that's ok, you can have your opinion, but don't fanboy please.

4) Finally you are giving your opinion without messing with mine, could you do it that way next time so I don't have to waste my time explaining to you what an opinion means (Says me, of course, before you ask) and how to read english properly.

I don't get why people can't take others opinion, it's not like im saying something that came out of thin air, microsoft is know for its millionaire purchases that ultimately led to the destruction of a ton of stuff, not only games.. INFORMATION is what made me worry, if microsoft hadn't messed up so much stuff as they did, then I wouldn't be here asking for this, thinking about it, worrying about it. INFORMATION is what I have, and information is what tells me that its going to rain shit over us xD So chill dude, I may be wrong, we'll see, but you can't stop me from having an opinion, so don't try, it's insulting.
1. there are more places to earn money from an IP, minecon for example, charge 100$ admission and keep 25% in your pocket, licensed merch,...

3. minecraft got lucky to get as large as it did, creating a simple game can be done in a day or 2 if you start with a decent plan

Reactions: YX33A

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019

The stupid... It burns.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
1. there are more places to earn money from an IP, minecon for example, charge 100$ admission and keep 25% in your pocket, licensed merch,...

3. minecraft got lucky to get as large as it did, creating a simple game can be done in a day or 2 if you start with a decent plan

1 - 25Million ppl go to minecon? Cause that's the only way they get their money back.. (Without taking in consideration expenses, continuous development, long list of etceteras that would cost them money).

3- Of course they got lucky, but that doesn't mean you can code a game from scratch like it's nothing, you need to learn, you need to fix bugs, you need to code, and that's not an easy feat.[DOUBLEPOST=1410950576][/DOUBLEPOST]
The stupid... It burns.

Something more constructive and less childish please? Or you can't take a serious debate? Go grab some water if it burns, maybe it will help you chill the fuck down :) Thanks for the support!

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019

Can you give an example as a link that we can read? But you know that there are many ways to make money.

First then it will take more time than one month to make and for the second I have a fulltime job. I have been trying in my sparetime to see what it takes to make a MC clone and no... its NOT difficult. It take time and cost money. Money because you need to have a place to sleep, pay power for computer, food etc.

Im not a fanboy but Im just tired of seeing that "oh its so bad they sold MC and now everything is catastrofic"

I may be wrong, we'll see, but you can't stop me from having an opinion, so don't try, it's insulting.

Im not trying to stop you from having an opinion - and I can also may be wrong but nobody knows what Microsoft has of plans with Mojang.

And by the way. The amount Microsoft paid for Mojang is so little compared to the fortune Microsoft have - so who says they need to make money on it at once?

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Can you give an example as a link that we can read? But you know that there are many ways to make money.

First then it will take more time than one month to make and for the second I have a fulltime job. I have been trying in my sparetime to see what it takes to make a MC clone and no... its NOT difficult. It take time and cost money. Money because you need to have a place to sleep, pay power for computer, food etc.

Im not a fanboy but Im just tired of seeing that "oh its so bad they sold MC and now everything is catastrofic"

Im not trying to stop you from having an opinion - and I can also may be wrong but nobody knows what Microsoft has of plans with Mojang.

And by the way. The amount Microsoft paid for Mojang is so little compared to the fortune Microsoft have - so who says they need to make money on it at once?

Ok, now this is starting to get civilized, thanks for that :3

1- If you need a link for minecraft sold copies: https://minecraft.net/stats
If it's a link about microsoft not being a charity: https://www.google.com/finance?cid=358464
If it's a link about microsoft charging for Skins (packs with prices, I dont own Xbox so I can't give you something better than this): http://www.ign.com/wikis/minecraft/All_Minecraft_Xbox_360_Edition_Skins

2 - When I'm saying it's difficult I take in consideration all aspects, not only the coding phase (Which takes knowledge too, that's why not everyone is a modder) but the time you have to invest on it, and time = money. It's difficult to make a game, because you have to devote to it, you can't just go to the bath and poop a game like nothing ever happened :p
Also, my opinion is that the minecraft community will suffer the consequences of a big corporation like microsoft buying a game like minecraft that is actually maintained by it's community, if you are not, then I'm sorry for calling you a fanboy, and I respect your opinion, but the main point of this was to know about the possibility of a clone made by the community, not to discuss microsoft buying minecraft, thats just another cookie in the jar to give some context to the post, which I think is necessary.. I don't think it's catastrophic though, just a bad situation we are in based on previous experiences on microsoft buying (or destroying without buying) shit.. They could change? Of course! But let's face it, microsoft hasn't changed in years.. they just keep pushing forward with what they have...

3- Ok, but you have to admit that your first post didn't make it look that way XD And, we don't know of their plans, I agree, but that actually scares me quite a bit.. When you don't know about someones plan then they may be thinking about a "revolution" of some sort, and that's scary coming from them xD Just that (Again, may be wrong)

About the money thing, microsoft is worth 70 billion, so yeah, maybe 2,5b is not much in comparison, but that's not an excuse to throw money to the air, and I don't think that they would buy something that wouldn't give them their money back and more, that would be kind of stupid and microsoft ppl are not stupid (at least in economic stuff, they have 70billion after all, that takes some thinking xD)

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019

You welcome but lets see some facts:

1) Look at http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/ where it says "BizSpark: Three years of free software, support, and visibility for startups." - So Microsoft is giving away software for free? Yes they do.

2) Minecraft on Xbox is not the same as on PC. Its not even the same code. It means that modding dont work on Xbox (what I know).

3) https://www.google.com/finance?cid=358464 it dont tell me anything - I dont know how to read the numbers.

4) Yes... 16 millions have bought the game and if Microsoft want to make the 2.5 billions agang they have to sell 7 times that amount. But again - there are other ways to make money on MC.

5) Lets look at ex. Facebook who is also buying companies - they are doing excately the same way but here we dont see that it suddenly cost a lot to use the companys products :)

Lets just play the game and have fun :) I have some Withers I need to kill...

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
You welcome but lets see some facts:

1) Look at http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/ where it says "BizSpark: Three years of free software, support, and visibility for startups." - So Microsoft is giving away software for free? Yes they do.

2) Minecraft on Xbox is not the same as on PC. Its not even the same code. It means that modding dont work on Xbox (what I know).

3) https://www.google.com/finance?cid=358464 it dont tell me anything - I dont know how to read the numbers.

4) Yes... 16 millions have bought the game and if Microsoft want to make the 2.5 billions agang they have to sell 7 times that amount. But again - there are other ways to make money on MC.

5) Lets look at ex. Facebook who is also buying companies - they are doing excately the same way but here we dont see that it suddenly cost a lot to use the companys products :)

Lets just play the game and have fun :) I have some Withers I need to kill...

1 - I guess thats because it gives them revenue, even if they don't charge the development tools, they get money from the use of the OS and mobile platforms, so they actually make development free, which means they don't have to pay for it, and while they can't charge for the apps themselves, they charge for the platform, so they still make some money in an indirect way..
Some info about how microsoft works, even if they look like a normal company, they actual do almost everything in an indirect way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish#Examples

2 - I don't have Xbox so I don't know, I think you can't mod it but that doesn't change the fact that they are charging for something as casual as skins, even though they already got the money from the minecraft purchase (I think they used to get a small percent of every minecraft purchase for Xbox, but I can't confirm this) and by selling the platform itself.

3 - The number in the top left is the stock price, the actual price of the company with its value put without consideration of earnings, and divided by the people who own it, if you multiply the stock price with the amount of shares you get the actual value of the company :p

4 - Of course there is other way of making money, thats exactly my point, I don't see microsoft waiting 10 years to get their money back nor expecting minecraft to actually last that long, so they have to get the money from somewhere else, and thats where stuff gets creepy :p Again, this is all an opinion, they might just make it open source as a gift for the community (not) as notch said the first year.. I remember that phrase in minecraft site saying that it would eventually become open source xD

5 - Can't deny that, but facebook is buying things that are "New" and give actual revenue over time, while minecraft has almost depleted its expected purchases, so maybe it's kind of a different situation in that point of view.. Although we can hope that microsoft could actually try to develop minecraft even further, (even if they don't have a good relationship with Java, which also scares me to think that they could rewrite in C++) to get even more sales.. That would actually be awesome!

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
5 - Can't deny that, but facebook is buying things that are "New" and give actual revenue over time, while minecraft has almost depleted its expected purchases, so maybe it's kind of a different situation in that point of view.. Although we can hope that microsoft could actually try to develop minecraft even further, (even if they don't have a good relationship with Java, which also scares me to think that they could rewrite in C++) to get even more sales.. That would actually be awesome!

facebook also buys things to kill them off to maintain their monopoly

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Microsoft now own one of the most recognisable games in recent history, with a wide playerbase. They are going to be trying so hard not to make a mess of it, because if they do, they will be remembered as the company that ruined Minecraft for a very long time. Microsoft didn't spend $2.5 billion to ruin their investment in a short-term rush to recoup that money as quickly as possible. A game with cross-generational appeal like Minecraft has the potential to be way more lucrative for them once you add in that they can now take a cut of sales on PS4 and Mobile as well. They don't need to push a load of extra costs onto existing owners once you take that into account.

I think they'd also be foolish to crack down on Let's Plays and Streams of Minecraft - such a move would lead to many of those who depend on Minecraft as their primary medium and income source speaking out against the changes. That's a lot of free, positive advertising for the game turned into a lot of bad publicity, even before you take into account the reaction of the fanbases of these individuals, which in some cases is into the millions.

I don't know if they have any long-term plans, but certainly for the next few months I'd guess that we can expect business as usual, and I expect they'll be very careful when making major changes. Minecraft is big mainly because of the community around it, everyone realises that is part of what makes it great, and Microsoft will try to preserve that if they have any sense. If they don't, then they wreck their $2.5 billion dollar investment.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Microsoft now own one of the most recognisable games in recent history, with a wide playerbase. They are going to be trying so hard not to make a mess of it, because if they do, they will be remembered as the company that ruined Minecraft for a very long time. Microsoft didn't spend $2.5 billion to ruin their investment in a short-term rush to recoup that money as quickly as possible. A game with cross-generational appeal like Minecraft has the potential to be way more lucrative for them once you add in that they can now take a cut of sales on PS4 and Mobile as well. They don't need to push a load of extra costs onto existing owners once you take that into account.

I think they'd also be foolish to crack down on Let's Plays and Streams of Minecraft - such a move would lead to many of those who depend on Minecraft as their primary medium and income source speaking out against the changes. That's a lot of free, positive advertising for the game turned into a lot of bad publicity, even before you take into account the reaction of the fanbases of these individuals, which in some cases is into the millions.

I don't know if they have any long-term plans, but certainly for the next few months I'd guess that we can expect business as usual, and I expect they'll be very careful when making major changes. Minecraft is big mainly because of the community around it, everyone realises that is part of what makes it great, and Microsoft will try to preserve that if they have any sense. If they don't, then they wreck their $2.5 billion dollar investment.
Agreed. And an important thing to add to why they wouldn't want to mess this up. Microsoft has to stay positive in the minds of younger generations, as in a decade or two, they will be the ones making decisions on what platforms to use, and what computers to buy, and so on (and yes, a LOT, if not most MC players are under age 20). Microsoft has been loosing ground in residential, and in some places even enterprise, sales to Apple. Reasons for that are a different argument. Doing right or wrong by Minecraft is fairly important towards the opinion of a large percentage of the next generation of heavy computer users. And from behavior, and the significant payout for Mojang, I think they realize this. I am very much taking the wait and see approach to this. They may screw this up, but I doubt they're going to on purpose.

Reactions: YX33A

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

1- If you need a link for minecraft sold copies: https://minecraft.net/stats
If it's a link about microsoft not being a charity: https://www.google.com/finance?cid=358464
If it's a link about microsoft charging for Skins (packs with prices, I dont own Xbox so I can't give you something better than this): http://www.ign.com/wikis/minecraft/All_Minecraft_Xbox_360_Edition_Skins

2 - When I'm saying it's difficult I take in consideration all aspects, not only the coding phase (Which takes knowledge too, that's why not everyone is a modder) but the time you have to invest on it, and time = money. It's difficult to make a game, because you have to devote to it, you can't just go to the bath and poop a game like nothing ever happened :p
Also, my opinion is that the minecraft community will suffer the consequences of a big corporation like microsoft buying a game like minecraft that is actually maintained by it's community, if you are not, then I'm sorry for calling you a fanboy, and I respect your opinion, but the main point of this was to know about the possibility of a clone made by the community, not to discuss microsoft buying minecraft, thats just another cookie in the jar to give some context to the post, which I think is necessary.. I don't think it's catastrophic though, just a bad situation we are in based on previous experiences on microsoft buying (or destroying without buying) shit.. They could change? Of course! But let's face it, microsoft hasn't changed in years.. they just keep pushing forward with what they have...

3- Ok, but you have to admit that your first post didn't make it look that way XD And, we don't know of their plans, I agree, but that actually scares me quite a bit.. When you don't know about someones plan then they may be thinking about a "revolution" of some sort, and that's scary coming from them xD Just that (Again, may be wrong)

About the money thing, microsoft is worth 70 billion, so yeah, maybe 2,5b is not much in comparison, but that's not an excuse to throw money to the air, and I don't think that they would buy something that wouldn't give them their money back and more, that would be kind of stupid and microsoft ppl are not stupid (at least in economic stuff, they have 70billion after all, that takes some thinking xD)

Selling skins: If you do the research you'll find that skins are sold for ALL the console and all mobile versions. The Console versions are sold because the development markets for such devices are tightly controlled by the parent company. If you're going to blame MS for that then you also have to paint Sony and Nintendo with the same brush.

Also, if you did the research you'd find that Microsoft is sitting on 90 billion in cash... not to mention any other assets. They're worth a craptonne more than that.

Somebody above mentioned MS charging a royalty for MC merchandise... A bit of news here, Mojang was already doing that, although not actively seeking partners instead letting them make the initial approach.

Most of the industry pundits are saying that MS will probably bundle MC with Xbox and Windows Phone in an attempt to boost sales. Then there are other things occurring... Remember the Minecraft movie in the works from the producers of the Lego movie? That's a HUGE marketing opportunity.

Last week, as soon as the purchase rumors came out, I started hearing rumors of an animated MC TV show... Look how that's worked out for Hasbro... GI Joe, Transformers and My Little Pony to name a few. In fact, I'd love to see the people who put out the Element Animation videos get a crack at this one :D

There are plenty of ancillary ways of making money, and you can bet that there are whole departments at MS waiting to get started on this. Also, as someone who has been intimately involved with Microsoft products since the mid-70's when they released BASIC for CP/m, I can attest that they have made several blunders in the past but those was mostly IBM's corporate influence from when they had exclusive rights to all things MS. They've mellowed out quite a bit.

Microsoft has improved in many ways in the past decade, although most non-professionals wouldn't see that. How many of the developers are going to know, for example, that there is a free download, NOT trial versions, of many products including Visual Studio (Express version) that includes runtime SQL, Javascript, C#, C++, Visual Basic, and cross-compilation support for Windows Phone 8.0 and up? The only things missing from the "Pro" versions are the "Team Server", the advanced version control and other Enterprise features.

I think that MS is smart enough to leave the modding community alone and see other ways Minecraft will pay for itself.

[Edit] Out of politeness and forum etiquette , I'll answer the OP's original question.

I think that Microsoft will be the first to properly rewrite MC, starting with the PE version since it's already a partial rewrite in C++, improving/optimizing the code where possible and creating an API concurrently. The API will include documentation and sample code, possibly as a Visual Studio Express SDK download, so de-obfuscation will no longer be necessary. The new version will most likely make extensive use of multi-threading and also include multicore support.

Apple and Android users won't need to worry since MS already has a group familiar with both products, currently producing Office 365 for them. The development studios for other consoles have already got licensing contracts for MC so MS will honor the commitment to provide source code for them to do what they can for their platform.

Last edited:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
In a shorter answer- I can name 3 MC mod devs who are looking to develop their own games, 2 being as a direct result of MS.

Though the voxel game (aka "minecraft clone") market was rapidly becoming saturated with people trying to emulate Notch's success long before MS opened dialogue with Mojang.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Merchandising. Merchandising. Merchandising. Any freshman business major would give you this as the first correct answer. Also, unless you're in the illegal drug or gun trade, you dont expect immediate ROI (Return on Investment) on a large acquisition. Microsoft wouldn't spend that type of money on a quick flip. They're in it for a long haul.

All in all, we don't know anything. We know nothing. NOTHING. We can assume that Xbox users will be the main winners game wise. Its a safe bet that plush creepers, foam diamond swords, and diamond armor hats will be flooding Wal-Marts, Walgreens, & Best Buys this holiday season. That's about it. And what the hell do I know? I thought the whole deal was vapor news.

Hmmm, they could actually make that $2.5 billion back by Christmas in merchandise alone. Hmmm....

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A and Wagon153