Auto Blaze Rods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Scott Bradley

Jul 29, 2019
Recently I've built a blaze farm from 2 tier 5 blaze spawners from soul shards and have been try to find a way to automatically kill them so that they drop blaze rods. If anyone has an idea how that would be great.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen some vanilla ones that use Pistons to suffocate them. Maybe you should fill in everything in the "spawning range" around the spawner other than 2 blocks, where they'll spawn, and it's easy to suffocate them from there?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Battle Turtles on an infinite loop of attack()ing. Drops end up in the turtle's inventory, so you might want to deposit them somewhere. Keep in mind that they drop XP orbs too, so you should find a way to get rid of them before they lag out your game. (Or maybe you can research a way to make use of them.)

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use Soul Shards, but if you build those spawners in the Overworld, then water is a very easy way of killing them.

I've also seen a setup where Blaze as sent through a Nether portal to the Overworld (basically a regular Blaze spawner surrounded by portals), and again, damaged by water and then killed with a damage potion for the XP and rods. If you just want the rods though I'm certain you can just leave them in water for a while and they'll die and drop rods.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use Soul Shards, but if you build those spawners in the Overworld, then water is a very easy way of killing them.

I've also seen a setup where Blaze as sent through a Nether portal to the Overworld (basically a regular Blaze spawner surrounded by portals), and again, damaged by water and then killed with a damage potion for the XP and rods. If you just want the rods though I'm certain you can just leave them in water for a while and they'll die and drop rods.

I think, in the new updates, it's also possible to use Silk Touch on Ice, bring it into the Nether, and melt it.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Blazes only drop blaze rods when they are damaged by a player like how experience works, too. But battle turtles killing them does work. So you need to use one of those.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
The soul shard mod makes it so mobs drop items even when killed by the enviroment if they are spawned by the mod's soul shards, so your best bet is to just have the shards spawn the blaze in a pool of water where they will die and drop their rods in the water, using a transposer you can have them be picked up and dropped into your choice of storage or just use them to fuel your base. And as OmegaPython said Direwolf20 showed off the blaze farm the Eloraam had in her base in one of the episodes.

Water source blocks would let you place them in the nether but you wouldn't need to since tier 4 and higher soul shards can be used in any realm without issue.

Jul 29, 2019
What i have set up for my tier 5 spawner is they fall into water, the water is flowing into another stream which takes the blaze rods to one obsidian pipe and that shoots them up to my base
Or i have another tier 5 (i've had a doubble blaze spawner farm) which is an exp grinder where they fall onto pressure plates which push them into the central collection point with a piston crusher. (Ethos ice cream cone shape thingy)

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
If only turtle could fill a soul shard too, it would be great, too bad this doesn't work.

I had to kill 1024 zombies in my trap in order to fill the gem.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Well luckily we now have the Soul Stealer enchant that can be on Vile Swords. Each rank increases the souls given from the kill by 1 with 5 ranks you can get 6 souls from a single kill meaning you only need 171 kills to fill a shard. The problem is the swords only have 250 uses, right now I am trying to find out if you can get it from enchanting books. You used to be able to get it on any weapon but that was a bug and he fixed it, so I don't know if books will have it allowing us to move it to diamond swords and the like.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Battle Turtles on an infinite loop of attack()ing. Drops end up in the turtle's inventory, so you might want to deposit them somewhere. Keep in mind that they drop XP orbs too, so you should find a way to get rid of them before they lag out your game. (Or maybe you can research a way to make use of them.)

A Thaumcraft Brain in a Jar would suck that xp up and then let you get (most) of it back.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Vanilla spawned blazes will only drop a rod from player kills. (turtles, snowball/arrow+dispenser/deployer also count).

Soulshard spawned blazes will drop from environmental damage (like water/quicksand), so if you place a soul spawner above a water funnel, all the rods can be collected with ease.
(Split off the minium shards, and fire up your boilers!)