[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
I guess the reason the crucible was changed to 10 leaves = 1 bucket from 20 leaves = 1 bucket, is because you don't get any saplings back at all from using the crucibles vs a fluid transposer gives you a % chance of sapling returns. Before, the transposer was obviously the better choice from the two, but now the crucible looks better, but you get no saplings back from melting the leaves. Obviously if you know what you are doing, you should never accidentally run out of saplings though. But since the transposer gives you saplings back, that's potentially more water in the early game.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't really call it cheating. The bookcases from chisel are bugged and gave him the wrong book; why should he be punished and make another book to fix those when he already has the proper items?

The mentality of "Do not use creative for anything including fixing bugs" eludes me.
Rather than seeking to help educate the person in question the poster I referenced simply stated the default if it doesn't work cheat it in mentality.

Once you know it's a bug..... that's one thing, but just cause something isn't working as YOU expect it to doesn't mean your first assumption should be that it's a bug..... so cheat.

I've for instance seen a youtuber, cheat in a turtle because an old recipe didn't work.... failing to research the fact that an update now requires he use a command to equip an item, and in so doing teaching the HORDES that follow him to do the same. I'm sorry, but cheating your way around the system should be the LAST resort if you cannot find a proper solution to a problem. I happen to know that minimal Google-fu would have found the answer to the bibliocraft bookcases on this very forum.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
In this case, you only have to craft 1 normal book (ever) to make an in-game, no-creative-mode fix. Or you can grab 1 normal book from the city. Both of these are options to fix the game without going into creative mode. That being said, if people are really that worried about 2 sticks, 1 zombie flesh, and 3 sugar cane, I guess creative mode is an option.

Not everyone has sugar cane yet and their is no way to speed its growth if you do sift some out. In any case it's the principle of not having to spend your resources to fix something that shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Not everyone has sugar cane yet and their is no way to speed its growth if you do sift some out. In any case it's the principle of not having to spend your resources to fix something that shouldn't be an issue in the first place.
or, simply pick up a vanilla bookcase first........ the buildings are full of them after all

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
I've always seen the three water generation options (transposer, crucible, dirty water) to have different pros and cons, but to be about equal in the long run. Dirty Water method requires more steps and either more complicated automation or more personal time. The upside it is the cheapest in terms of leaves/saplings to use, and the fuel required to make it is a byproduct of getting leaves/saplings. The transposer requires power. The upside is you get some saplings back and it's super easy to use and you can use it the moment you get a battery and a water bottle (aka, from the start of the game, without crafting a damn thing). The crucible doesn't give back saplings, like the transposer, but also isn't cheap like Dirty Water. The upside is it doesn't really require any fuel at all, and is much easier to automate than the Dirty Water method. It's sort of a middle ground between Transposer and Dirty Water.

So yeah, I think they are all totally valid methods. In my current game, I am using Dirty Water exclusively (hooked up to a MFR tree farm, Liquicrafter, and Redstone Furnace to automate the whole process now). But I think in the next I'll go with the Transposer. It's fun to try new things! :D

EDIT:

Watering can speeds it up just fine. And if you're making a machine that needs books and you don't have sugar cane, you're doing something wrong.

Reactions: ScottieC

LordBufu

Jul 29, 2019
or, simply pick up a vanilla bookcase first........ the buildings are full of them after all

Just like walking to the town to get a normal book, that is expecting way to much from players now-a-days, they wanted it yesterday not a few minutes of research later .... dunno why people are that lazy now but hey that just how things are it seems :(

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Rather than seeking to help educate the person in question the poster I referenced simply stated the default if it doesn't work cheat it in mentality.

Once you know it's a bug..... that's one thing, but just cause something isn't working as YOU expect it to doesn't mean your first assumption should be that it's a bug..... so cheat.

I've for instance seen a youtuber, cheat in a turtle because an old recipe didn't work.... failing to research the fact that an update now requires he use a command to equip an item, and in so doing teaching the HORDES that follow him to do the same. I'm sorry, but cheating your way around the system should be the LAST resort if you cannot find a proper solution to a problem. I happen to know that minimal Google-fu would have found the answer to the bibliocraft bookcases on this very forum.

The game literally told him he had everything right and for whatever reason wasn't accepting the items it verified as correct.

Why not?

So? Perhaps he preferred the old method of turtle? I'm sure many of those people that saw it researched it for themselves(Or his sake) and found how it's meant to work. It's then up to them using his method or the old one. Finding the answer on this forum could have also led to the same answer.

Again you're expecting the player to make up for a bug in the mod. I don't understand this when cheat mode is basically in-game debugging at your finger tips.

you do realize sugar cane grows at like one block per couple realtime minutes... right?

Or not once for 20 minutes. It's a game of RNG. Either way it's time wasted that shouldn't have been wasted.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
https://twitter.com/Iskan_Dar/status/509199157148790784
Iskandar Twitter said:
Watching people get that Aha! moment, when the mechanics of my pack finally come together and survival clicks into place never gets old.
seeing him make comments like this reminds me about how i've been considering starting doing youtube content. then i remind myself that i've been considering it for like 3 years now, and also that it's highly unlikely i'd actually become more than 'that other one' in the end.

Or not once for 20 minutes. It's a game of RNG.
you will never encounter an instance where your sugar cane takes 20 minutes to grow. the longest you'll ever have to wait for a single growth is ~5 minutes at most.

Last edited:

moded guy 123

Jul 29, 2019
The game literally told him he had everything right and for whatever reason wasn't accepting the items it verified as correct.

Why not?

So? Perhaps he preferred the old method of turtle? I'm sure many of those people that saw it researched it for themselves(Or his sake) and found how it's meant to work. It's then up to them using his method or the old one. Finding the answer on this forum could have also led to the same answer.

Again you're expecting the player to make up for a bug in the mod. I don't understand this when cheat mode is basically in-game debugging at your finger tips.

Or not once for 20 minutes. It's a game of RNG. Either way it's time wasted that shouldn't have been wasted.
Just like walking to the town to get a normal book, that is expecting way to much from players now-a-days, they wanted it yesterday not a few minutes of research later .... dunno why people are that lazy now but hey that just how things are it seems :(
I've always seen the three water generation options (transposer, crucible, dirty water) to have different pros and cons, but to be about equal in the long run. Dirty Water method requires more steps and either more complicated automation or more personal time. The upside it is the cheapest in terms of leaves/saplings to use, and the fuel required to make it is a byproduct of getting leaves/saplings. The transposer requires power. The upside is you get some saplings back and it's super easy to use and you can use it the moment you get a battery and a water bottle (aka, from the start of the game, without crafting a damn thing). The crucible doesn't give back saplings, like the transposer, but also isn't cheap like Dirty Water. The upside is it doesn't really require any fuel at all, and is much easier to automate than the Dirty Water method. It's sort of a middle ground between Transposer and Dirty Water.

So yeah, I think they are all totally valid methods. In my current game, I am using Dirty Water exclusively (hooked up to a MFR tree farm, Liquicrafter, and Redstone Furnace to automate the whole process now). But I think in the next I'll go with the Transposer. It's fun to try new things! :D

EDIT:

Watering can speeds it up just fine. And if you're making a machine that needs books and you don't have sugar cane, you're doing something wrong.
THIS IS WHY STARTING ARGUMENTS ON THE INTERNET IS SO EASY(even if it's not intended)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
this is that moment where you realize you're trying to fool someone who knows better. my job on any minecraft server i've ever been on is the farmer, and my hobbies all involve farming and gathering. you will never encounter an instance where your sugar cane takes 20 minutes to grow, unless you're trying to grow it where it can't grow. the longest you'll ever have to wait for a single growth is ~5 minutes at most.

This is the moment you realize I'm a code monkey. There is a chance that one piece of sugar cane won't grow for 80 minutes. Rather small chance but it is there. The average growth time would be something like 800 seconds(Reeds have 16 growth block updates that occur on block ticks which on average every 47 seconds to each block). So no the longest you'll potentially 'ever' have to wait is virtually infinite but the chance is infinitesimally small.

THIS IS WHY STARTING ARGUMENTS ON THE INTERNET IS SO EASY(even if it's not intended)

Lol it's a difference of opinion. Expressing your opinion isn't an argument haha.

Nightdagger

Jul 29, 2019
For everyone's information, I tested the division sigil activation ritual tonight on my livestream, sans division sigil. After sacrificing a chicken and a cow, both under the correct circumstances, I can only conclude that this does not work anymore, and the sigil is required.

I have also concluded that I hate cows. Because I decided to try and punch the cow down to low health to ensure I could one-shot it at the appropriate moment. And it fought BACK. Between my shock at being attacked by a friggin' cow and my desire not to kill said cow because I was out of mob essence and wanted to sacrifice it's stupid behind to the gods of cursed earth, it actually managed to burn my synch shell.

Yes. A cow killed me. I killed it back, though, and then after bashing it's head in with the Frying Pan of Justice I popped that puppy down on the ground and had myself a wonderful steak cooked by the light of a nearly full moon.

Reactions: ScottieC

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
This is the moment you realize I'm a code monkey.
i can understand why you would bring up the code, as coders have trouble thinking outside the math... but the reality is, you will never see that high end. it doesn't matter how long you play, it just simply won't happen. i've been farming since early alpha, and it sugar cane has never taken more than a few minutes to produce for me.

also, i edited my post specifically because i realized it would cause people to retaliate exactly as you have. considering my edit was several minutes prior to your post...

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
For everyone's information, I tested the division sigil activation ritual tonight on my livestream, sans division sigil. After sacrificing a chicken and a cow, both under the correct circumstances, I can only conclude that this does not work anymore, and the sigil is required.

I have also concluded that I hate cows. Because I decided to try and punch the cow down to low health to ensure I could one-shot it at the appropriate moment. And it fought BACK. Between my shock at being attacked by a friggin' cow and my desire not to kill said cow because I was out of mob essence and wanted to sacrifice it's stupid behind to the gods of cursed earth, it actually managed to burn my synch shell.

Yes. A cow killed me. I killed it back, though, and then after bashing it's head in with the Frying Pan of Justice I popped that puppy down on the ground and had myself a wonderful steak cooked by the light of a nearly full moon.
As someone who's played BnB, it is not too horribly shameful to be slaughtered by a cow...... I for instance once forgot that while chickens are normally a one hit kill...... at the time I was bare handed....... this lead to my poor toon being slaughtered by a flock of chickens.

Reactions: cannajan

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
i can understand why you would bring up the code, as coders have trouble thinking outside the math... but the reality is, you will never see that high end.

You realize how long 800 seconds is and it's the average? 813 minutes on average for 1 sugar cane growth from each piece of sugar cane.

Edit:8 minutes? Brain stop being asleep.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Hi all, I just started this to see how difficult it was, and some freaking spider makes it through a 1-wide gap somehow. I have got to tell you if the game didn't already delete the world save on death I would have done it anyway!

What I am wondering is this: Is this a Minecraft feature or bug, some special mob, an intended feature of this modpack, or some glitch with the modded glass blocks in the game that allows spiders to crawl in somehow? It's not good for me to go build a safe way out of the ship if these spiders can get in that easily and kill my sync clone who I had set up, before he even gets a chance to do anything! The spider looked for all intents and purposes the same as the ordinary spider that is more than one block wide so I don't know how it got into my base.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
You realize how long 800 seconds is and it's the average? 8 minutes on average for 1 sugar cane growth from each piece of sugar cane.
your math is surprisingly far off point considering you are a tech guy.

brGv0.png

also i'm dropping this because it will go nowhere. my years of experience with farming clearly show your theoretical math to be irrelevant, even if it's correct within the vacuum of the game's code.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Man, I can't keep up with this thread anymore. I stop by like once a day...and there is like 5 new pages. I'm glad you guys like my pack. Never figured it would get this popular.

And it is just beyond weird watching a lot of the more popular Minecraft YouTubers pick up the pack, too. Direwolf20, GenerikB, and now Etho of all people.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
Man, I can't keep up with this thread anymore. I stop by like once a day...and there is like 5 new pages. I'm glad you guys like my pack. Never figured it would get this popular. And it is just beyond weird watching a lot of the more popular Minecraft YouTubers pick up the pack, too. Direwolf20, GenerikB, and now Etho of all people.
ohai iskandar, feeling better i trust? thanks for providing such a great and unique experience, your pack has renewed my interest in minecraft after a long time of wanting nothing to do with the game due to boredom with it.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
your math is surprisingly far off point considering you are a tech guy.

also i'm dropping this because it will go nowhere. my years of experience with minecraft farming clearly show your theoretical math to be irrelevant, even if it's correct within the vacuum of the game's code.

Yeah. Late at night; tired. Corrected it as you posted.

Your years of experience are not the reality of the game. Not even 10s of thousands of harvests and watching growths would even be a suitable microbe of a representation of the reality. The code is literally the reality. The game will only do what the code says.