Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Make Magazine had an article on a guys propane powered, homebuilt jet engine, and since the draw rate was high enough to drop the line/bottle temperature below freezing (which clogged the line) due to the rapid liquid-gas transition and expansion of the propane in the 20lb tank, he stuck the tank in a plastic bin full of water to keep it warm enough. then he decided since he now had a tub of cold water, why not stick beers in it?

tada, jet powered beer cooler.
redneck engineering at it's finest. Gotta love it.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I will steal the title, and use it for myself in this case ... "Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?"

I have just spent literally 4 hours, trying to use junctions in split mode, to power 9 fans using 2 x Steam engines.

Now I may not be brilliant on math, but the numbers tally up for me, that 2 steam engines running, should provide enough power to split between all of the fans to blow canola off a 9x9 field.

I cannot figure out how the juntion bend vs inline thing works. I thought I did, but clearly I'm in the wrong here. Mandatory screenies to know what I'm talking about:

How the @#£$%!!!! should I configure this trap to split? I get 2 fans blowing to kingdom come, then the 3 absolutely dead - Or get 2 fans blowing and the middle one dead. I cannot understand what's happening, and believe me I have tried.

It's frustrating me to hell, and I'm inches away from giving up completely.

Just as a disclaimer, all junctions are in split mode, and input/output is rotated correctly.

Yeah! lol that aspect threw me off too I tried to use them like you did in the pic, I was like "WTF is this not working!?". Then I stared at the WAILA panel for some reason for about a minute fixed on the word "split" in split mode, then I was like "Fuck I'm dumb... I'm splitting a split output here *facepalm*". When you use them like that you are divideing two by two by two by two rather then splitting them evenly.
I ended up with something like @DriftinFool posted, then I realized it looked a bit like a Fibonacci tree.

Also regarding Jet fuel I kind of agree that it's lacking but only becasue it doesn't fit the "renewable everything" paradigm. Relying on the bore to pass through a consistent amount of soul sand is not feasible in a sustained system.
It's really just the soul sand that throws you off.
If Reika intended jet fuel to be somewhat renewable he may want to make a alternate recipe for tar, the rest of the ingredient IMO are fine.

Also I figured out a decent renewable source of soul sand, at least for me. Blood magic ballad of alchemy set to blood magics soul sand recipe. You however need to figure out how to automate imbued slates though so you can get an autocraft system converting them in to blood shards. I know it's not really ideal and involves delving deep in to another mod but to a mod pack player that shouldn't really be a problem.

Failing that spam harvesters and sludge boilers. I mean REALLY spam the boilers.

There's also magic farm but I don't use it, don't have it installed.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I think you're better off with magical crops or bees. I'm having problems with soul sand as well, good thing I don't have that many jet fuel consumers.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I think you're better off with magical crops or bees. I'm having problems with soul sand as well, good thing I don't have that many jet fuel consumers.
If you have those options then definitely use them, But my own pack lacks both mentioned mods.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
If you have those options then definitely use them, But my own pack lacks both mentioned mods.
Yeah mine lacks them too.

For soulsand I just went for a trip to the nether with a very fancy Tinker's excavator and went nuts in there. Should last a few days.

DepressivesBrot

Jul 29, 2019
Btw, does anyone have hard numbers on sludgeboiler output? It's known for being slow, but it's the only renewable option left if you can't/won't go MC or bees.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Btw, does anyone have hard numbers on sludgeboiler output? It's known for being slow, but it's the only renewable option left if you can't/won't go MC or bees.

It has a tendancy to add new kinds of dirt depending on the mods you add on, in a light mod pack with just MFR the soul sand isn't that uncommon but add mods like BoP and natura and the probability table of the boiler output end up with more differing possibilities. In monster the boiler has a chance of giveing you on top of dirt, clay, soul sand and reglar sand; Dried dirt and mud from Bop, Firesand and tainted soil from Natura (which can be combined to make soul sand FYI), Peat from Forestry, That special peat from extra bees (or is that regular foestry?) and any other dirt PowerCrystals decides to add to the sludge boilers table.

Reactions: PierceSG

DepressivesBrot

Jul 29, 2019
It has a tendancy to add new kinds of dirt depending on the mods you add on, in a light mod pack with just MFR the soul sand isn't that uncommon but add mods like BoP and natura and the probability table of the boiler output end up with more differing possibilities. In monster the boiler has a chance of giveing you on top of dirt, clay, soul sand and reglar sand; Dried dirt and mud from Bop, Firesand and tainted soil from Natura (which can be combined to make soul sand FYI), Peat from Forestry, That special peat from extra bees (or is that regular foestry?) and any other dirt PowerCrystals decides to add to the sludge boilers table.
Yes, I know what it produces. I was asking for numbers that could actually be used to figure out how big of a sludge farm one would need for RoC.
I did some testing in the meantime and the results are rather sobering. On my personal pack (relevant mods: Natura, BoP, HarvestCraft, Forestry - so the results are very similar to Monster), the boiler produced 15 Soulsand directly and another 15 through Natura stuff (15 Heatsand and 18 Tainted Soil) over the course of a full hour, i.e. 1 sand per 2 minutes. As expected, BoP accounts for ~30% of the waste but Vanilla itself is even worse with the high probabilities to get Sand, Dirt or Clay.
That means you would need to have some serious farming operations going to keep up with the rate at which all the other ingredients can be produced.

And in case someone is interested in the full output:
---Vanilla---
Dirt: 98
Sand: 147
Gravel: 29
Netherrack: 2
Soul Sand: 15
Mycelium: 7
Clay Ball*: 284
---BoP---
Dried Dirt: 41
Hardened Sand: 47
Hardened Dirt: 31
Pile of Ashes*: 168
Mud Ball*: 260
---Natura---
Heatsand: 15
Tainted Soil: 18
---Forestry---
Peat: 35
---Harvestcraft---
Salt: 56

* Creates 4 per operation
All values based on one run of ~1h or 719 operations. Individual results are likely to differ by a few blocks here and there.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't dug into MFR's configs recently, would it be possible to set the config to ignore the other mods' dirt?

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Can those horizontal quarries dig enough soulsand to sustain themselves with jet fuel?

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Boring machines run very cheaply, especially with an efficiency enchantment. They'll mine enough soulsand to sustain everything forever.
Not so sure about that

I would try it out and set it with eff V and let it run for a 24 hrs too see result (with let's say, the output of a gasoline engine)

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a huge fan of just leaving boring machines on forever. So I'm currently working on setting up a rather extensive array of MFR farms to produce everything. Looking forward to seeing if I'll have enough jet fuel production to get rid of my non-rotational dynamos.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Hmm... I just realized that MFR farms can be used to help produce several ingredients of jet fuel, even without the help of Magic Crops- soul sand for tar and dirt for ethanol via boiling sludge, and sugarcane, also for ethanol production. The other ingredients seem to require the use of another system or mod, such as Magic Crops, a boring machine, and/or a mob farm.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
MFR have the auto spawner and safari net (reusable) and grinder system for mob drops I guess?

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I know. I just never associate jet engines with tanks so I was kinda surprised. And I like aircraft way more than tanks :p

Y U NO LIEK TANKZ :( :( :( in '03 the Iraqis called them Ali-Baba because they thought they had literal forcefields, and could operate at night :cool: Plus, when we fired main-gun rounds, from inside it sounds like the tank says DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMmmm :D

LothyZA

Jul 29, 2019
Not so sure about that

I would try it out and set it with eff V and let it run for a 24 hrs too see result (with let's say, the output of a gasoline engine)
Ironically I have this setup and its working for me. I have 2 Fac units running (powered by my gas turbine) and im making enough jet fuel to keep my gas turbine goin. I also have a cyclic assembler converting tainted souls and heat sand to soul sand and tonight I think ill add a sludge boiler just for the added chance.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Y U NO LIEK TANKZ :( :( :( in '03 the Iraqis called them Ali-Baba because they thought they had literal forcefields, and could operate at night :cool: Plus, when we fired main-gun rounds, from inside it sounds like the tank says DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMmmm :D
How efficient are they at scattering depleted uranium across sovereign nations?

No offense, but not everybody has the same rosy outlook that you do on tanks. Just saying. :p

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
They don't have wings... And don't fly.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019

Keep in mind that a gasoline outputs an effective 1.1 MJ/t. A Buildcraft quarry wouldn't even deign to move its arm for that amount, much less dig a block. So yeah, the Rotarycraft borer is a very cheap and efficient autominer, even without any enchantments.