1.8 "The Bountiful Update" Released

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
This is the longest wait for a major update to Minecraft, with 312 days having elapsed since the release of 1.7.2 on October 25, 2013.
Mods are not even fully 1.7.2. So it will take some time. But not so bad, i have some 1.6 packs not played -> about to finish "agrarian skis". But yes i would like to restart our SMP server with a new version of minecraft and need to be patient.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Cow tipping: How many gold nuggets should you pay your cow for good service?
Nuggets? I tip in gold blocks. Hundreds of them. And for some reason this keeps pissing off the enderman police force when the cow gets crushed.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
You're joking about it and now I want this.

Also this is the first mod for 1.8:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-8-chatlog-now-with-more-santa-claus-ho-ho-ho

Also, Also: In before modded 1.7.10 gets abandoned by October.
lol I knew this update would happen sooner than anyone else was expecting it to. Maybe mod devs can change over to 1.8 really quick since a lot of mod devs took the 1.7.10 update to add tons of new stuff which is why it took so long in most cases.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This quote from the MCPatcher developer is the reason I wouldn't wait for FTB 1.8 modpacks... just pretend like it never happened, then one day in the far future maybe we'll be nicely surprised, if the mod developers don't go insane in the meantime... sigh

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...2-1-6-4-and-earlier-update-6-27?comment=11128

With that out of the way, pardon me while I vent for a bit.

Warning: Programmer's rant ahead:
This has been by far the most difficult and frustrating update to work with. Notch's code was messy but fairly straightforward once you understood a few basic classes. This new design is so twisted up in endless abstractions and theoretical wankery that I can barely follow it, let alone modify it with any confidence. The number of temporary objects that get allocated and immediately thrown away in the game's critical rendering path is appalling. You can see for yourself on the F3 screen; the Java memory usage is a meaningless blur while the game mercilessly flogs the garbage collector every second. I can't tell you how many times I unironically, reflexively facepalmed upon encountering some new bit of code for the first time.

Several times during this update cycle I've come close to throwing up my hands and walking away from the project altogether, and I still make no guarantees that I won't. I know many artists depend on MCPatcher's features, and I would feel awful if all their hard work and creativity went to waste, but my patience and motivation are really being stretched thin by Mojang's inability to provide a stable platform to build on.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Hey I don't know if it's just me (likely not because my computer is new), but whenever I change the chunk render distance in 1.8 the graphics go spastic.
I literally discovered that in the first 5 minutes of gameplay. Anyone else get it?

null123

Mar 27, 2014
OHMYGOSHITSFINALLYOUTINEEDALLTHEMODSRIGHTNOWSOMEONEGETTHESERIGHTNOWIMABOUTTOSUFFOCATEFROMTALKINGEEEEEEEEEEK

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
"This has been by far the most difficult and frustrating update to work with. Notch's code was messy but fairly straightforward once you understood a few basic classes. This new design is so twisted up in endless abstractions and theoretical wankery that I can barely follow it, let alone modify it with any confidence."

Holy shit this so much. I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. And he worded it so much better than I would have.

I've mentioned it a few times, but I deobfuscated a really old version of Minecraft once from the alpha period, by myself. It was a lot of fun because you could gradually find method to the madness. One thing led to another to another, in this snowball of progression. It was one of the best puzzles I ever "solved", probably having labeled 99% of the classes and a huge majority of the methods and fields, far more than I ever needed for the simple mods and fixes I added. Keep in mind that this was very old, before other dimensions or even biomes were added, so the code was naturally far less complex than it would eventually become by the time the game resembled more of what it is today. But what was there was still relatively "easy" to follow, and from what I've seen from digging around to a lesser degree in later versions, this held true for a while.

I've been working with 1.8 lately, again taking it apart by myself and making my own tools this time along the way to help, just to see if I could do anything similar to what I did before, maybe even tacking in my own simple API for the experience. But it's still such a tangle. I can say, without any doubt, that I will never be able to deobfuscate even half of this version by myself. There are just shy of 2500 classes. 1.7.10 was short of 1800, while 1.6.4 was short of 1600. That's right, if you skipped modding 1.7, then you're in for nearly a thousand more classes than you last saw. That's fairly astounding to me. And the MCPatcher guy is in the rendering code, a dark and scary place I haven't even tried to look at yet! I don't want to sound like a jerk and disrespect Mojang's work, but man. This code is going to become unsustainable, in my opinion.

Searge said on Twitter: "77.7% of the existing mappings can be migrated, 22.3% are new/lost - our job now is to increase the first and lower the second."

Oh, and for reference, the old alpha version I disassembled and modded had around 400 classes. It truly was a babby. I'll always be fond of it.

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
With that said, is MC even salvageable at this point? I was browsing the Minecraft Reddit and there's a lot of crying foul with this update from folks running palm pilots to Mach5 battle cruiser systems. The other end are people exceedingly happy. Its a confusing, mixed bag. Since you've delved into the code, I'd be interested in your insight.

Also if it truly is this bad, would a complete re-write in another programming language be what's needed or fitting for Minecraft 2.0?

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
With that said, is MC even salvageable at this point? I was browsing the Minecraft Reddit and there's a lot of crying foul with this update from folks running palm pilots to Mach5 battle cruiser systems. The other end are people exceedingly happy. Its a confusing, mixed bag. Since you've delved into the code, I'd be interested in your insight.

Also if it truly is this bad, would a complete re-write in another programming language be what's needed or fitting for Minecraft 2.0?

I think rewriting it is mostly out of the question, unless they meant to sell a brand new game. There's just no incentive for them to put that much development into something that makes them no new revenue from existing customers. But I would hope that they stick to Java, just for the modding aspect alone. You can get good performance out of Java when you actually try. Ironically, Minecraft has been a good example of that.

That being said, I see no performance benefit on my machine in 1.8. It's worse, if anything. My brother, on the other hand, can't play the game at all anymore. 1.7.10 runs fine for him, probably upwards to a hundred fps and always smooth. 1.8 runs at 70+ fps until he starts moving, at which point it drops to a crippling intermittent 12-15fps, which immediately corrects itself when he stops moving. Meanwhile, the server I set up was losing a lot of ticks and outputting a lot of "can't keep up" errors using the same settings I always used before until I upped its memory usage. Unfortunately that doesn't solve everything, particularly the very annoying mob behavior where they slowly descend to the ground after a hit, even though this was in all of the pre-releases and still wasn't fixed. Another notable event is when everyone got dropped, and when I relogged, I was inside of a wall I had just dug out.

This is what concerns me about the number of classes. It means the game is far more complex than it used to be, and very suddenly at that. They're not fixing very obvious bugs which should have never made it into the final, ones which I would have had in the "don't release until fixed" list. Maybe they can't even find them, for all I know.

I know that this isn't necessarily a new thing, it tends to take them a few versions to get any major update truly fixed, and I'm not going to fault them for everything. That flower that blinks into place when you break tall grass, for example, is obviously a low-priority bug. And let's be honest, they don't have to keep updating the game at all, and there's nothing stopping us from playing older versions. But with the game being this large and growing, I can only imagine that the time spent chasing down bugs is only going to grow as well, which doesn't bode well when they haven't even gotten to the API yet.

Last edited: