Charging my Flux Tool while mining?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PDizzle

Jul 29, 2019
It seems I can not do it. I'm on Horizons. My flux cap is turned on and on my hotbar and when I select my hammer it charges but while doing so I can't mine. Is this a bug or working as intended?

Is there a work around? If not, that is a huge bummer because my full ardite hammer blows through the 400K pretty quick and I'm left there holding my hammer while it charges up.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
This is working as intended I believe. a work around would be making multiple hammers and have an auto charging system using an enderchest and enderpouch :)

PDizzle

Jul 29, 2019
This is working as intended I believe. a work around would be making multiple hammers and have an auto charging system using an enderchest and enderpouch :)
Thanks for reply. I looked on the NEI and dont find an enderpouch. What mod is that from? And sorry for noob Q, but can you explain the auto charging system you mentioned?

Thanks!

nethrez1m

Jul 29, 2019
That mod is EnderStorage.
The hammer or other tool with RF-capacitor/EU-battery still has some meta that shows remaining charge in the tool. When the tool is charging up, i guess that tool is insta-destroyed and insta-given the new same copy of that tool to player (with less "damage value", meta) so you can see the tool "shaking" in your hand while you stay charging it.
I usually use a Tier3 capacitor (made of electrum) on the tools and an active Resonant one to keep the charge. I believe the rate of energy consumption/refilling in this setup is enough to keep my tools fully charged even when mining with LMB holded down permanently (until my inventory is full).
Which capacitor are you using on your tool and which to recharge it?

nethrez1m

Jul 29, 2019
Quick update: The system of auto recharging with Ender Storage is quite simple and can be made using:
1 Enderchest
1 Enderpouch
2 Itemducts
1 Pneumatic servo
1 Energetic Infuser
Place the Enderchest 1 up and 1 right near the Infuser. Place Itemducts:
I/D - E/C
| |
E/I - I/D
and install servos in the upper left itemduct.
Upper left itemduct will export any tool with no charge from enderchest so be sure to set "Use meta-data" in the itemduct's filter. Place empty tools/capacitors in it.
Energetic Infuser will charge that junk and then it will push it into the enderchest.
You should make the enderpouch of same color code and yaaays, now you have access to the Enderchest from anywhere (be sure to chunkload enderchest area). You can put your empty tools in it, it will automatically extract and send them back.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Upper left itemduct will export any tool with no charge from enderchest so be sure to set "Use meta-data" in the itemduct's filter. Place empty tools/capacitors in it.

it's a lot easier to blacklist charged items from exporting into infuser, this way you can charge items with any level of charge below 100%.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
For info, it's been asked before. It is, technically, a bug, but it's not one that Tinkers or TE can fix without a massive amount of effort, as it's a behavior in vanilla (basically re-equipping an item if it increases the damage value), which interrupts the mining process.

Best bet is to use your capacitor in cycles (mine for a bit, recharge, mine for a bit, recharge, etc.).

Reactions: RedBoss

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Quick update: The system of auto recharging with Ender Storage is quite simple and can be made using:
1 Enderchest
1 Enderpouch
2 Itemducts
1 Pneumatic servo
1 Energetic Infuser
I/D - E/C
| |
E/I - I/D
Energetic Infuser will charge that junk and then it will push it into the enderchest.
You should make the enderpouch of same color code and yaaays, now you have access to the Enderchest from anywhere (be sure to chunkload enderchest area). You can put your empty tools in it, it will automatically extract and send them back.

This. Also, based upon my experience, with 4xArdite/Flux hammers... you will need three hammers in total, so you're not standing there waiting for your one hammer to recharge.

I always had one hammer in my hand, one hammer in the Energetic Infuser, and one hammer in my inventory. By rotating all three, I never had to take a break from mining to wait for a recharge.

Two hammers still made me wait a bit... so three are necessary.

Also obvious but I'll say it anyways... I use two enderpouches/enderchests. One contains all my "stuff I might need but don't want to carry on me all the time"... this is the chest where I put the ardite hammers needing a charge. The itemduct filtering ensured only hammers with less than 100% charge get pulled out of that enderchest, and when it gets put back in by the Energetic Infuser it will be at 100% and it will stay in the chest.

The other enderchest/enderpouch is tied into my AE system which immediately pulls out full stacks from the chest. This is where I dump all my raw materials when my inventory fills up... another obvious way you can get slowed down, its so obvious I'm sure there isn't anybody who DOESN'T use this method, but it still should be said.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Pfff ditch your hammers/excavators and use Gravisuites Advanced Diamond drill instead. :p
Got a mode for the same 3x3 mining(among several other unique features), will mine both stones and dirt, will recharge from any Gravisuite chest armour while you mine. And you can extend the energy storage by even further by carrying Lappacks in the inventory. You can mine for hours on end without worrying about your tools.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
If you just activate the capacitor while your tool is full on power you'll have that much more charge and the recharge rate will be faster than your mining, so you should mine without a hitch!

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Pfff ditch your hammers/excavators and use Gravisuites Advanced Diamond drill instead. :p
Got a mode for the same 3x3 mining(among several other unique features), will mine both stones and dirt, will recharge from any Gravisuite chest armour while you mine. And you can extend the energy storage by even further by carrying Lappacks in the inventory. You can mine for hours on end without worrying about your tools.

but can it blend silktouch/fortune autosmelt?

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
For mining, very few things beats a combination of a bound pickaxe and a bound shovel ^^* Mind you, it eats a lot of LP per use but clearing out a 13x13x13 cube in one click is soo yummy. Do make sure you have something to prevent falldamage though :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
but can it blend silktouch/fortune autosmelt?
It can and should be enchanted like any other tool(through books + anvil), so yeah you can silktouch/fortune, Efficiency(makes it EXTREMELY fast) and Unbreaking(reduces power drain). And I think there is some mod that adds an autosmelt enchant, though I think most would prefer sending it back home to a more powerful ore extraction plant.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
It can and should be enchanted like any other tool(through books + anvil), so yeah you can silktouch/fortune, Efficiency(makes it EXTREMELY fast) and Unbreaking(reduces power drain). And I think there is some mod that adds an autosmelt enchant, though I think most would prefer sending it back home to a more powerful ore extraction plant.
so.. it's not a bug but a feature now?

autosmelt&fortune is decent as ore processing goes, + nothing stops from setting asutosmelt&fortune ore pocessing at base using said tools

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I've only had a problem mining while my capacitor is on when using a low grade capacitor. I never use the basic "leadstone" capacitor anymore. Except as a crafting component. I usually go straight for the redstone capacitor since if I'm using and charging them, the electrum and additional redstone is almost always on hand. And as I said, I've had no problems. Even when using mechanism's atomic disassembler on fast, with the redstone capacitor keeping it going.

PDizzle

Jul 29, 2019
That mod is EnderStorage.
The hammer or other tool with RF-capacitor/EU-battery still has some meta that shows remaining charge in the tool. When the tool is charging up, i guess that tool is insta-destroyed and insta-given the new same copy of that tool to player (with less "damage value", meta) so you can see the tool "shaking" in your hand while you stay charging it.
I usually use a Tier3 capacitor (made of electrum) on the tools and an active Resonant one to keep the charge. I believe the rate of energy consumption/refilling in this setup is enough to keep my tools fully charged even when mining with LMB holded down permanently (until my inventory is full).
Which capacitor are you using on your tool and which to recharge it?
Well, the flux I put on shouldn't matter since all convert the hammer to 400K RF(AFAIK) but I think it was a hardened. As far as charging it, I use a redstone (the third upgrade) but plan on making the top tier flux cap (the ender one).[DOUBLEPOST=1408138591][/DOUBLEPOST]
1 Enderchest
1 Enderpouch
2 Itemducts
1 Pneumatic servo
1 Energetic Infuser
I/D - E/C
| |
E/I - I/D

Thank you very much! Sounds complicated but also very awesome! Hopefully I can add that mod to Horizon's w/out a conflict. I'll try it tonight! :)[DOUBLEPOST=1408138746][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you just activate the capacitor while your tool is full on power you'll have that much more charge and the recharge rate will be faster than your mining, so you should mine without a hitch!

I tried this, with a full charge but there is a hitch. I mine one 9x9 block by holding down the mouse button. It works once then it just shakes. I have to release the button, wait a fraction of a sec, then mine again. This by the way drives me insane!! :)

PDizzle

Jul 29, 2019
This. Also, based upon my experience, with 4xArdite/Flux hammers... you will need three hammers in total, so you're not standing there waiting for your one hammer to recharge.

I always had one hammer in my hand, one hammer in the Energetic Infuser, and one hammer in my inventory. By rotating all three, I never had to take a break from mining to wait for a recharge.

Two hammers still made me wait a bit... so three are necessary.

Also obvious but I'll say it anyways... I use two enderpouches/enderchests. One contains all my "stuff I might need but don't want to carry on me all the time"... this is the chest where I put the ardite hammers needing a charge. The itemduct filtering ensured only hammers with less than 100% charge get pulled out of that enderchest, and when it gets put back in by the Energetic Infuser it will be at 100% and it will stay in the chest.

The other enderchest/enderpouch is tied into my AE system which immediately pulls out full stacks from the chest. This is where I dump all my raw materials when my inventory fills up... another obvious way you can get slowed down, its so obvious I'm sure there isn't anybody who DOESN'T use this method, but it still should be said.

I didn't know this so thanks!! But I'm a noob.

Speaking of noob, what is an "AE" system?

One last thing. It seems the only way I can charge my items is if I have a cap on my bar and am holding my tool. All other combinations I tried does not work (item and cap in inventory, in a chest, in my backpack).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thx

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't know this so thanks!! But I'm a noob.

Speaking of noob, what is an "AE" system?

One last thing. It seems the only way I can charge my items is if I have a cap on my bar and am holding my tool. All other combinations I tried does not work (item and cap in inventory, in a chest, in my backpack).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thx
AE is shorthand for Applied Energistics, and it is a powerful combination sorting/storage/autocrafting mod. Great mod for a variety of reasons. I mostly use it for storage/sorting.
And as for charging your tools in such a manner, yeah, you aren't doing it wrong, but you can charge the tool while in your hotbar if the cap is also in your hotbar IIRC, but you really only should do this when you have more then one tool in your hotbar that uses RF.
Many suggest AE for in field recharging with ender chests and ender pouches, but I suggest Logistic Pipes for that. That way I can also use a remote orderer in case I need something from my stockpile that I didn't bring(and unlike AE, I can grab anything from my stockpile with LP, including crafting new things while in the field with LP).

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
For putting flux on the tool you use a leadstone one... though I don't know if using a hardened would affect how much power the tool uses per operation.

The tier of flux capacitor you're using to charge the tool matters because the higher tiers don't just hold more power, but they have higher input/output of power. If the tool is using more power per operation than the capacitor can output, then you get the weird jittery effect. Or at least that's been my experience when using the Redstone Arsenal tools.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
so.. it's not a bug but a feature now?
Not sure what you mean. What bug?

autosmelt&fortune is decent as ore processing goes, + nothing stops from setting asutosmelt&fortune ore pocessing at base using said tools
Yeah ofc, but just assumed many people are employing ore processing that rewards more than 2x output(as you would get with the autogrind+smelt tool solution). Fortune does nothing on ores, it is only increasing the rewards from stuff like diamonds, coal, redstone etc. which you cant smelt.

But think we might be derailing the thread. Just wanted to mention the Gravisuite tools as a very decent(if not superior in many cases) alternative to the hammer/excavator.