Clay in bulk

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
Here lies the foundations of my factory in Monster.
2014-08-01_22.51.22.png
The problem: I want to make my factory primarily out of bricks, so how do I get enough clay to accomplish this? Is the best way for me to build a couple giant quarries over sea, or is there an easier way?

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Here lies the foundations of my factory in Monster.
View attachment 12320
The problem: I want to make my factory primarily out of stone bricks, so how do I get enough clay to accomplish this? Is the best way for me to build a couple giant quarries over sea, or is there an easier way?
Well, alternative that I can think of right now are Magical Crops, IC2 UU-matter or Magic Bees "Earthy" bee.

IC2 UU-matter will spit it out to no end(clay is very cheap in EU and UU-matter), but it requires quite the setup for it.

Ehm as all these require quite an investment of time in getting the clay you might want to considder just getting it from the ocean. Using a quarry however is painfully inefficient. The time spend setting up the quarry it not even worth it. Just get a Shovel of the Earthmover/TiCo Excavator and go digging for some.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
Ehm as all these require quite an investment of time in getting the clay you might want to considder just getting it from the ocean. Using a quarry however is painfully inefficient. The time spend setting up the quarry it not even worth it. Just get a Shovel of the Earthmover/TiCo Excavator and go digging for some.

The funny thing is, I installed veinminer and use magnet mode, and I'm still going nowhere fast. I may just get the walls high enough to keep out mobs until I can get UU matter going.[DOUBLEPOST=1406950002][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm also wondering if I will need to set up forestry automated tree farms just to get enough sticks for carpenter's blocks.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
In Monster you should be using Biomes O'Plenty which gives you the biome with the red/orange/brown hardened clay... and also a ton of regular clay as well. I usually park myself right in that biome because the first thing I do is Tinkers Construct and the first thing you need is clay/sand/gravel. I guess a swamp biome would work as well, perhaps even better, but I love building my base out of the colored clays.

Oh, and I wouldn't quarry just for clay. It only extends down a few layers below the water. I guess you could run a quarry and stop it so you don't waste a lot of time, but for me I just go out and find that clay biome and bring 10 shovels with me. LOL

Reactions: Pyure and rhn

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Magical crops are probably a lot better, but TE3 adds a recipe for clay; Iirc, it's two slag, a water bucket, and dirt. IC2 allows you to craft saplings into paintballs(plantballs, idk something like that) and macerate them into dirt. I used An Igneous Extruder feeding cobble into a pulverizer to make sand that feeds into an Induction smelter. A second pulverizer receives from the smelter and some piping feeds from the pulverizer back into the smelter. Drop 2 ingots into the pulverizer, and the dusts will go into the Induction Smelter where they smelt with the sand and have a chance to make Slag. I used a Cyclic Assembler with infinite water to craft clay.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Installing mods that add new worldgen is probably not the best solution for you... But you should check out Pam's Clay Spawn. It generates clay undergroung with the same rarity as iron, and I have tons of it thanks to VeinMiner.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I typically gather clay in the Twilight Forest if I have it installed. Abundant and pretty safe.
And while you are there you might as well keep an eye out for the witch/dryad/whatever spawner houses. The chimney is made out of some 20ish Brick blocks and rest of the house of assorted mossy bricks. Not recommended as a way of farming them, but if you spot them you might as well collect them.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, alternative that I can think of right now are Magical Crops, IC2 UU-matter or Magic Bees "Earthy" bee.

IC2 UU-matter will spit it out to no end(clay is very cheap in EU and UU-matter), but it requires quite the setup for it.

Hmmmm, angel block + 63 dirt = 64x64 BC quarry set up over water.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
The mixer stage of ore processing from factorization also makes a sludge that can be processed into clay.
You'd have to grind the ore, and then mix it in the mixer with a bucket of water to get it, but that does put you 2 stages in with a solid return, better then ore doubling.

I will point out that you can get Thermal expansion slag without actually using up ore blocks, that post, while describing the required machine was not absolutely clear about it. Pulverize into dust, then smelt with a sand, and then pulverize again. You'll use up sand, but you can pulverize cobble for sand, so it does not really matter. Then it's a simple matter of crops into plantballs and into dirt, as said before as well.

As said above, Twilight forest is a good place to harvest while your factory automates for you, all the biomes are separated by rivers, and the twilight river has lots of clay on the bottom.

ExtrabiomesXL had a red cobble that could be softened back into clay, but the BOP red cobble can't... not useful, but amusing trivia to farm for a like...

Reactions: Not_Steve

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hmmmm, angel block + 63 dirt = 64x64 BC quarry set up over water.
Yup and my point being that in that time you spend setting up that quarry, I could have cleared that area and several more of clay with an aoe shovel and jetpack. The clay is scattered around and only in the top layer of sand/dirt. You will find nothing further down.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
While this does work, the OP wanted it in bulk.. the sludge boiler doesn't do anything in bulk LOL
There's no simple solution. I've been asking for bulk clay solutions for months. For now my best options are:

1. Make sure Badlands is enabled in your Biomes o Plenty configs. That biome has uncooked and hardened clay blocks in 1.6. Its unavailable in 1.7 with the vanilla Mesa biome.

2. Install Mekanism. There's a machine process to generate clay but there's a considerable macjine investment to do so. But its an option. You can also use the digital miner in a watery area of the Twilight Forest to gather clay.

Any other methods I've found are manual. Clay isn't valued in modded Minecraft that much unfortunately. Bit aesthetic building is also a low priority in the community. :(:(:(

Xheotris

Jul 29, 2019
There's no simple solution. I've been asking for bulk clay solutions for months. For now my best options are:

1. Make sure Badlands is enabled in your Biomes o Plenty configs. That biome has uncooked and hardened clay blocks in 1.6. Its unavailable in 1.7 with the vanilla Mesa biome.

2. Install Mekanism. There's a machine process to generate clay but there's a considerable macjine investment to do so. But its an option. You can also use the digital miner in a watery area of the Twilight Forest to gather clay.

Any other methods I've found are manual. Clay isn't valued in modded Minecraft that much unfortunately. Bit aesthetic building is also a low priority in the community. :(:(:(
While we're talking about installing mods, Botania adds a flower that makes clay from sand. The Clayconia.