Tips on reducing lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bavalos

Jul 29, 2019
I can confirm a memory leak but i dont know from where it comes
So would this cause lag spikes? I've been having this issue since v6 of the MindCrack pack. I honestly don't quite remember if it happened before... I didn't notice at least. Now, I get lag spikes fairly frequently that last for a second or two and it's extremely frustrating. Java is up to date, and it is the same case with and with out optifine. I have no idea what is causing it and I haven't been able to fix it. If anyone has a fix that would be great. I get on average 60 - 70 FPS, but then the spike hits and it drops to 1. This happens regardless of how big the world is or how many machines I have running.

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
Extrabiomes will lag your world something awful, I'd recommend disabling Redwood biomes in the config, as all those leave blocks will murder even a high end machine. Counter intuitively, allocating anything more than 2-3 gigs to FTB is probably hurting you, due to the way Minecraft is coded (that is, poorly). Optifine may cause some small bugs, but its also a sexy beast and is usually more helpful than not.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed when the ambient sound lava makes is triggered or stops it lags a bunch. It doesn't continue while in or out of the zone but when crossing it, it lags a bunch. I have to say optifine has been a huge help. I wish the creator would have worked with the pack to make it even more compatible.

Karimiri

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed when the ambient sound lava makes is triggered or stops it lags a bunch. It doesn't continue while in or out of the zone but when crossing it, it lags a bunch. I have to say optifine has been a huge help. I wish the creator would have worked with the pack to make it even more compatible.
updating OpenAL32/64.dll fixes sound-lag problem i belive ;)

Komoden

Jul 29, 2019
Keep your java updated.... try Optifine if a Java update does not fix your lag problems..
if Optifine does not help (or bugs out for you) try updating your lwjgl: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Update_LWJGL
Be warned though... updating LWJGL breaks stuff on Mac at the moment. Mojang is waiting for the next version to push an update with Minecraft (if you read between the lines, and follow the LWJGL discussions on their forums)

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Keep your java updated.... try Optifine if a Java update does not fix your lag problems..
if Optifine does not help (or bugs out for you) try updating your lwjgl: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Update_LWJGL
Be warned though... updating LWJGL breaks stuff on Mac at the moment. Mojang is waiting for the next version to push an update with Minecraft (if you read between the lines, and follow the LWJGL discussions on their forums)
It breaks stuff on my PC too.[DOUBLEPOST=1357207485][/DOUBLEPOST]
updating OpenAL32/64.dll fixes sound-lag problem i belive ;)
Just got loud bursts whenever a noise occurred when I did that.

Komoden

Jul 29, 2019
It breaks stuff on my PC too.[DOUBLEPOST=1357207485][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just got loud bursts whenever a noise occurred when I did that.

I haven't heard of any problem with LWJGL on windows, but then again i'm not that pro with LWJGL.. just got involved in testing the mac part because i got annoyed with it not working at all.

Karimiri

Jul 29, 2019
Tried that too and it did the same thing. Had to delete the folder and have the launcher download it again.
i allredy learned ot back-up everything before i start messing with files :p
just did the upgrade my self. brb

edit: yeah its broken...

Crashty

Jul 29, 2019
Thats weird, I used to have 15 FPS with normal view distance in feed the beest

with optifine 1.4.6 U A3 I get 40-60 with Far, Im not even kidding

Lakart

Jul 29, 2019
I had a quarry that accidently carved out the bottom of a river. This was a serious lag feast for me. I had to reduce all my graphics settings to minimum, switch to default texture pack, and slowly, painfully, block up the hole in the river. Once that was done, lag vanished.
It's the multiple flowing water source blocks in an area that cause the problem. While having water in them is great for dealing with lava, you are better off keeping your quarries dry.
This, a thousand times this. Pumps emptying out rivers or oceans or large lakes and causing tons of moving water? Lag. Huge quarries where you abuse how you can put down one block of water and it will eventually cover the whole thing? Lag. Turn an MFFS projector on and put in the sponge module, making it eat up half a body of water and make the rest go everywhere? Lag.

Do yourself(and everyone else near you if you're on a server) a favor: Abuse the fact that you can use long, shallow pools of water for infinitely pumped water, stay way from the sponge module/upgrade, and only pour water in your quarry when you actually hit lava and then clean it up.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
i tried optifine but droped my fps from solid 60 to 40
(installed for chunkloading issues)
Why would you install optifine if youre already getting 60fps? Unless your monitor is better than 60Hz refresh, you wont see a difference above 60 as it cannot display the frames faster than that. Also, its a bit annoying how people just toss Optifine in and think it will magically make everything better. You need to actually configure it.[DOUBLEPOST=1357371128][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thats weird, I used to have 15 FPS with normal view distance in feed the beest

with optifine 1.4.6 U A3 I get 40-60 with Far, Im not even kidding
Nice! Now install some shaders lol

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Why would you install optifine if youre already getting 60fps?
Some people are spoiled.
you wont see a difference above 60 as it cannot display the frames faster than that.
Some people will insist you are wrong.
Also, its a bit annoying how people just toss Optifine in and think it will magically make everything better.
See above two remarks. Add: Some people don't know a lick about their computer. Those people will blindly download and install whatever they're told to (these people are similar to those who will download .txt files because they're told it's relevant-example: crash_log.txt)

ProGrasTiNation

Jul 29, 2019
Here's how i stabilised my fps so i could run a server & a launcher on the same pc.
1.Download Process Explorer
HTML:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
(Win task manager is a joke) Put process explorer it in a folder were you can run it when needed.
2.Start your game(FTB/dire20 or whatever)& wait till you see java.exe pop up
lightbox

3.Right click java.exe and select affinity
lightbox

4.Depending on you cpu count,deselect till only 2 remain
lightbox
(side note:I hear hyperthreading is bad shit turn it off)

I've played minecraft with 3 different pc's now,starting with an athlon2800+ with 1g ddr & an agp 512mb nividia gpu(which was a hand down),it could handle pre 1.3.2 minecraft at 30 fps with the help of optifine.When i started to add mods namely the early piston mod performance dropped badly.

Next i built my own with a Pentium E6600 4g ddr3 & an amd6450 gpu,i saw 60 fps in minecraft for the first time & i could use far render but again if i was using mods i had to turn down render distance & use optifine to handle some other effects individually to try reduce lag.

And finally i upgraded so i could play bf3 & skyrim at more than 800x600 with 30 fps so i built a Phenom 965 x4 system(overclocked to 4ghz) with 4g ddr3 & an asus6850 gpu & my god did minecraft benefit greatly from this.
For the first time i could use a crazy amount of mods & not be forced to use only a few & this brought me to running a server & finding out that setting affinity to your programs will help them alot.
But i will say don't ever use far render when using lots of mods because the mods will start to use the resources the far render would normally use & give you crazy lag spikes.

I tell you this just so you can get an understanding to how the mods will hamper even the best system because some of them do crazy things in the background to supply you with the great gameplay that they do.
Learn your pc's limits & you should be able to avoid bad fps/lag & thus avoid a poor gameplay experience.

chihhao

Jul 29, 2019
I'll preface this by telling you I'm completely new to using mods/launchers/etc. of any type, I usually just play vanilla minecraft. Also I have a pretty slow computer by today's standards. I thought because of this feed the beast would cause it to be so laggy it would be unplayable but this isn't the case. It's slightly laggy when placing blocks and such causing me to place two sometimes and the normal symptoms of a slight performance issue.

Do you guys have any tips on reducing this lag? This looks extremely fun and I'd like to get into it. I already play on normal distance, power saver, and fast graphics.
Never play on power saver. It lowers fps a lot. Make sure it is on max fps.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Some people will insist you are wrong.

They would be silly. If your monitor has a refresh rate of 60hz, it physically cannot display more than 60 frames per second. it is a hardware limitation. I'm not argueing that one 8cant* see the differance between 60 and 120fps for instance, but you'll need a monitor capable of keeping up with that. This game isnt like Quake III where higher framerate = advantage in input lag regardless of monitor refresh.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Never play on power saver. It lowers fps a lot. Make sure it is on max fps.
Been playing on max fps for a little while now and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Strange, both settings yield the same fps.

fethergood

Jul 29, 2019
I suggest don't run anything that cause memory intensive in the back ground like skype(etc). If you plan on playing on a server, try not to play when others in your household are doing internet intensive stuff (streaming, Netflix, CoD, etc.)

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Been playing on max fps for a little while now and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Strange, both settings yield the same fps.
Thats likely because your system is not capable of much higher than the threshold FPS set for power saver witch is around 30fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.