Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I saw his post about working on a new mod shortly after I saw the posts about quitting. So hopefully he'll get the motivation to update his other mods too. Glad we didn't lose another one, too many good modders are walking away lately.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
So this is directed mostly at @dmillerw but does anyone know what happened to passive enchants? The primary download link no longer exists and the github for it is gone as well. Did it get replaced by Alchemical Bling?

dmillerw

Jul 29, 2019
So this is directed mostly at @dmillerw but does anyone know what happened to passive enchants? The primary download link no longer exists and the github for it is gone as well. Did it get replaced by Alchemical Bling?
It didn't really get replaced by anything. While it was a cool idea, it was a pain to maintain.

Reactions: GreatOrator

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
It didn't really get replaced by anything. While it was a cool idea, it was a pain to maintain.
Thank you for taking time to respond and totally understandable with everything you are throwing together. I'll remove it from my 1.7.10 pack I am building then and just keep bling...

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Eloraam‏@TheRealEloraam
RedPower "clone/replacement" mods (copying both both function and look&feel) are in a bit of an awkward legal position.
https://twitter.com/TheRealEloraam/status/490972583299256320

I don't know what to do about this - I don't want to be the villain. I'm hoping the authors of such mods just do the right thing.
https://twitter.com/TheRealEloraam/status/490972690023333889
IANAL, but I'm not sure Eloraam has anything here. Unless the art or the code are copied, there's no copyright infringement, and I don't believe she can claim trademark rights. Am I wrong?

Edit: On further reading, I don't believe that's even an issue here. It seems to be just about making a personal request on her part that things not be *exactly identical to RedPower*. Which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Last edited:

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
She can't do anything unless they are using her code or assets.
Eh, we were both posting at the same time. Let me just move my statement down here, then:

On further reading, I don't believe there's any kind of legal issue here. It seems to be just about making a personal request on her part that things not be *exactly identical to RedPower*. Which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
/me walks away before he stabs someone.

And no it's not reasonable. It's anything but.
What, making a personal request? Wanting there to be a way to tell things apart other than WAILA telling you "this one's from that mod, the other's from the other"?

Of course, I have no idea how far she's willing to push this. Honestly, in her place, I wouldn't have bothered even to mention it.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
No, really, cut the Eloraam discussion here, folks.

(Side note: really annoying that this version of XenForo sucks at the whole moving-posts-between-threads thing. One of the few things it doesn't do well as a base forum package, and it means I can't just quickly funnel over the posts like I would otherwise do.)