Fortune 3 vs pulv

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Lately I've taken a look at the return of drops from stuff like coal, redstone, diamonds using a for3 pick. I get the feeling its not that much better than silk touching the ores and running it through a pulverizer on average. I could be wrong, could be pretty unlucky, on something, or onto something. Is there a writeup on the percentages of For3? Also, I get even more a feeling that Treasure 3 is <<<<< For 3.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Back in 1.5.x, I could get a stack off diamonds off a 8-10 diamond vein with fortune III.

It is based on probability, so if you have a vein of two, that sample size is too small to get any conclusive evidence from. Pulverizers have the advantage that you are guaranteed (to an extent) the outcome described. It may not be as lucrative as some of the fortune III pulls (up to 5x?) but it is consistent.

Also, once you start quarrying/lazering, you don't have time to do any of this manually. Replacing a Fortune III pick in an AA is an option, but eventually you stop caring about resources.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Enchanting

hmm... turns out I wasn't on something, but onto something...
Increases block drops
For coal, diamond, emerald, nether quartz and lapis lazuli, level I gives a 33% chance to multiply drops by 2 (averaging 33% increase), level II gives a chance to multiply drops by 2 or 3 (25% chance each, averaging 75% increase), and level III gives a chance to multiply drops by 2, 3 or 4 (20% chance each, averaging 120% increase).

Reactions: Narc

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
The reason for the season is that I was dreading another world because all you modpack people caught on and are making it not easy to predictably get fortune3 using Tic. j/k lol. knowing this, and that knowing is half the battle... Maybe I shouldn't be as concerned with getting For3 as I have been in the past if it doesn't make huge difference in returns.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Fortune is a well-named enchant -- if you get lucky, you can more than double your output, but for a sustained process, you may as well go with the pulverizer, or RoC grinder, or similar.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
er...why choose?

7e392a6f03.png