Getting Started in Blood n' Bones?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so I've been hearing a lot of... "good" things about Blood n' Bones, and I'd like to give it a try during some times that I stop Monster from frustration (Ironically, from dying. Am I really asking about playing Blood n' Bones?)

Anyways, I saw the way to go was get flint tools, and dig a hole for your first night. I did that. I'm now waiting out the tons of zombie noises I'm hearing right above my head, waiting in complete darkness.

I have no idea how to get torches. The pack post said it had unlit torches, but it really doesn't help, and I can't get any up-to-date info anywhere (I've looked at the wiki, and it says to use rubber instead of coal, which I have, and it doesn't help a bit.). I'm guessing charcoal is the way to go until I can get outside to mine that one piece of coal that I can see, but it requires a sawmill to get sawdust, which requires bronze which requires... you get the idea. Is there any easier way to go about this that I'm not seeing?

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so I've been hearing a lot of... "good" things about Blood n' Bones, and I'd like to give it a try during some times that I stop Monster from frustration (Ironically, from dying. Am I really asking about playing Blood n' Bones?)

Anyways, I saw the way to go was get flint tools, and dig a hole for your first night. I did that. I'm now waiting out the tons of zombie noises I'm hearing right above my head, waiting in complete darkness.

I have no idea how to get torches. The pack post said it had unlit torches, but it really doesn't help, and I can't get any up-to-date info anywhere (I've looked at the wiki, and it says to use rubber instead of coal, which I have, and it doesn't help a bit.). I'm guessing charcoal is the way to go until I can get outside to mine that one piece of coal that I can see, but it requires a sawmill to get sawdust, which requires bronze which requires... you get the idea. Is there any easier way to go about this that I'm not seeing?

You can mine coal with a flint pickaxe. Then you can make stone rods out from cobblestone and combine two rods with one piece of coal to get two torches.

My question for Blood n' Bones: How do you mine iron?

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
You can mine coal with a flint pickaxe. Then you can make stone rods out from cobblestone and combine two rods with one piece of coal to get two torches.

If it is like MF2 either copper or bronze.

InfiniLife

Jul 29, 2019

You kill skeletons for a skeleton head then I believe when you have a modifier available on a copper pickaxe upgrade it with the skeleton skull and you should be able to mine tin and copper. All from my experience.

EDIT: I haven't played in a while so you mine iron with a copper pickaxe and a skeleton skull upgrades it so you can mine tin

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
You kill skeletons for a skeleton head then I believe when you have a modifier available on a copper pickaxe upgrade it with the skeleton skull and you should be able to mine tin and copper. All from my experience.

EDIT: I haven't played in a while so you mine iron with a copper pickaxe and a skeleton skull upgrades it so you can mine tin

I found out that getting a copper pickaxe and either leveling it for a boost or applying a zombie head upgrades it to iron mining level.

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
I have found the easiest way to play is start your world with an ocean nearby.
First day collect food, wood. Make your tconstruct tables, and a boat. Spend the night out on the ocean sailing. You should be combing the shores looking for where a forest/plains is next to a jungle/swamp by the ocean. It is also helpful if there is a desert nearby. Also take note of gravel and lava.
Build a flint matlock, shovel, and and pick, staying in the boat at night and only venture on land during the day prioritizing food. Build a tower, out of dirt, 10 or more higher. in the forest/plains near the jungle/swamp. Next get enough stone and clay to make a clay bucket and start making floating farms. The plots should be 9x9 with water in the middle. Make sure to put some space between the plots so light level below them during the day causes no additional spawns. Build a diving board out into the ocean a bit so you can make an escape.
As soon as your farms are big enough to support you, you can go ahead and spend the nights at the top of your tower, using your diving board to escape and despawn the mobs during the day.

That should take you a few days. Once you have your farms established it's time to tech up. Start making a smeltry and get what ever lava you can. Also if you find a village, get the cauldron from the apothocary and melt it in your smelter and lava from the blacksmith. Your first metal tools you'll want will be your cooking tools and most important a metal bucket, so you can venture further and use your food better. Baking dish, cutting board, and sauce pan are best if you don't have any meat in your diet. If you have meat then pot and skillet are better. Also grow cotton so you can make string and turn it into woven string. You use the woven string to make leather armor.

You should also work on replacing your tower with compressed blocks since I haven't seen anything grief it yet and it's explosion proof.

Once you have your metal bucket you can gather sludge from black pools and start making mob traps and a moat.

*note* never fight anything with your fists. You'll starve to death before you kill it.
*note* mobs can't spawn on farm land.
*note* juicer, mixing bowl, and bakeware are really nice to have and don't require iron.
*note* Juicer with snow ball makes your berries 3x as effective and restores health.
*note* it's nice to be near a desert because the mobs there when killed drop ore.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThorinNL

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I have found the easiest way to play is start your world with an ocean nearby.
First day collect food, wood. Make your tconstruct tables, and a boat. Spend the night out on the ocean sailing. You should be combing the shores looking for where a forest/plains is next to a jungle/swamp by the ocean. It is also helpful if there is a desert nearby. Also take note of gravel and lava.
Build a flint matlock, shovel, and and pick, staying in the boat at night and only venture on land during the day prioritizing food. Build a tower, out of dirt, 10 or more higher. in the forest/plains near the jungle/swamp. Next get enough stone and clay to make a clay bucket and start making floating farms. The plots should be 9x9 with water in the middle. Make sure to put some space between the plots so light level below them during the day causes no additional spawns. Build a diving board out into the ocean a bit so you can make an escape.
As soon as your farms are big enough to support you, you can go ahead and spend the nights at the top of your tower, using your diving board to escape and despawn the mobs during the day.

That should take you a few days. Once you have your farms established it's time to tech up. Start making a smeltry and get what ever lava you can. Also if you find a village, get the cauldron from the apothocary and melt it in your smelter and lava from the blacksmith. Your first metal tools you'll want will be your cooking tools and most important a metal bucket, so you can venture further and use your food better. Baking dish, cutting board, and sauce pan are best if you don't have any meat in your diet. If you have meat then pot and skillet are better. Also grow cotton so you can make string and turn it into woven string. You use the woven string to make leather armor.

You should also work on replacing your tower with compressed blocks since I haven't seen anything grief it yet and it's explosion proof.

Once you have your metal bucket you can gather sludge from black pools and start making mob traps and a moat.

*note* never fight anything with your fists. You'll starve to death before you kill it.
*note* mobs can't spawn on farm land.
*note* juicer, mixing bowl, and bakeware are really nice to have and don't require iron.
*note* Juicer with snow ball makes your berries 3x as effective and restores health.
*note* it's nice to be near a desert because the mobs there when killed drop ore.
image.jpg

Reactions: null123