Best place to find Silverwood trees? Quasi-noob here.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Rotoscope

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everybody,

I've been doing a world with FTB monster for the past five days or so, and I'm still at the basics(manual resource gathering, basic IC 2 machines etc) as I'm slower than most due to being fairly new. However I'm quite far along in Thaumcraft thaumonomicon research, and I've set up an infusion altar. My only problem is, I have no easy way to get essentia into my warded jars, due to the arcane alembic and related infrastructure requiring silverwood to build, of which I have none.

I've travelled around my house about 750 - 1000 meters in pretty much every direction and can't find a single silverwood tree. I've done similar in the Twilight Forest also with no luck. If I remember correctly I could use golems to move essentia around, but I'd have no idea what I'm doing with that at this point.

My questions: are there any particular tips for finding silverwood trees? And is this one of those things I just need to put a pin in until I get a jetpack or something to travel further? Is there another simple way to work with raw essentia I'm not aware of?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
They're very common in magical biomes, such as the Magical Forest that TC4 adds. Outside of those biomes, they're quite a bit rarer. My advice is to search for one of those biomes, since once you find it there will be quite a few silverwoods.

Rotoscope

Jul 29, 2019
Hey thanks. I'll have to give that a try. I should have probably mentioned I'm using Biomes O Plenty, and so finding specific biomes might be a bit of a challenge without long distance travel. From what I can tell I'm surrounded by desert, swamp, tundra and a volcano. I'll just have to go further out. I found a staff of travelling in a Hollow Hill in the Twilight Forest that's helped in that regard, though it's run out of juice.

By the way, Do silverwood trees spawn in the Twilight Forest? I've found greatwood there.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
BoP (at least with the configuration in the FTB packs) actually makes it easier to find the Silverwoods due to the large amount of magic biomes. As for the TF, I don't know. I can't remember if I've seen them there or not.

Rotoscope

Jul 29, 2019
Oh cool. didn't know that. I'll take a more careful look around. I acquired some emeralds from the Questing Ram, so maybe I can get a jetpack for the modular powersuit, instead of spending all the time and resources getting an IC2 jetpack.

Thanks for the help![DOUBLEPOST=1401811065][/DOUBLEPOST]@Geometry I'll look into that. I spawned near an abandoned village where I found one Mystcraft page. I'm not sure how Mystcraft works yet, but maybe after watching a spotlight on it I'll be good to go. Thanks!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Another option is if you do find any form of magical biome, but luck out with no silver woods, see if you can find a Pech (a thaumcraft mob), once they like you (don't want to spoil that too much since you are starting out) they will trade various random things (mainly thaumcraft stuff) for gold, so that's an option.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Another option is if you do find any form of magical biome, but luck out with no silver woods, see if you can find a Pech (a thaumcraft mob), once they like you (don't want to spoil that too much since you are starting out) they will trade various random things (mainly thaumcraft stuff) for gold, so that's an option.

The good idea is to capture him in a safari-net and maybe spawn several of him.

But can they be found in a mystcraft age? I had no luck so far (and I just need his foci for my wand)

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
I found finding sliverwood trees in Monster (at least with ATG) pretty much impossible in the Overworld and the Twilight Forest. I finally had some luck in a botched Mystcraft age but it was a real bother. Fortunately I had added DartCraft to the pack and had found one of the claw thingies. If you don't have DartCraft you might want to try getting a thaumium grafter first so you can actually make good use of one once you find it...

Reactions: trajing

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Open your inventory, then click the button on the bottom left of the screen to open NEI's options. Look for the data dump buttons, then make a biome ID dump. Open the dump file (Notepad works), and look for the lines that say MAGICAL in caps.
Those are all biomes that have the magical tag, and thus can spawn silverwood trees (other than that weird garden biome because of how it handles trees, I think).

Reactions: pizzawolf14

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everybody,

I've been doing a world with FTB monster for the past five days or so, and I'm still at the basics(manual resource gathering, basic IC 2 machines etc) as I'm slower than most due to being fairly new. However I'm quite far along in Thaumcraft thaumonomicon research, and I've set up an infusion altar. My only problem is, I have no easy way to get essentia into my warded jars, due to the arcane alembic and related infrastructure requiring silverwood to build, of which I have none.

I've travelled around my house about 750 - 1000 meters in pretty much every direction and can't find a single silverwood tree. I've done similar in the Twilight Forest also with no luck. If I remember correctly I could use golems to move essentia around, but I'd have no idea what I'm doing with that at this point.

My questions: are there any particular tips for finding silverwood trees? And is this one of those things I just need to put a pin in until I get a jetpack or something to travel further? Is there another simple way to work with raw essentia I'm not aware of?

Use golems. The essentia tubing no longer works unless you love micromanagement. Though it is useful for aingle-aspect things :p

Zorkk

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everybody,

Is there another simple way to work with raw essentia I'm not aware of?

Are you using phials right now? Cuz that's the only way I know of besides golem and piping to move around the essentia.

Z

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using phials right now? Cuz that's the only way I know of besides golem and piping to move around the essentia.
If your only goal is to fill jars you can fill them by right-clicking on an alemic with the jar in your hand. Introduced in 4.1 I believe.

Rotoscope

Jul 29, 2019
I think I'll have a look at the Mystcraft stuff if I don't have any luck flying around with my jetpack (I've got my power armor tinker table up and running).

@belgabor @Zorrk only issue with that is that the alembic itself requires silverwood, due to the flux filter :p

Lots of good info here. Thanks!

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Good luck :)
Hint: Create something that will give you lots of emerald and spawn villagers & trade with them, one of the best ways to get MystCraft pages (especially if you start the notebooks some sell for 20 emeralds are very good deals, the usually contain around 20 random pages of which one or two are normally really expensive). You can also make random ages and look for pages in MystCraft libraries (or be really lucky and find a tree this way).

Rotoscope

Jul 29, 2019
Just wanted to pop in and say that I finally found silverwood. I trekked about 1300 meters behind my house, slogged through hordes of zombies with my ice focus wand and found about 40 blocks of it, along with some mana bean pods in a magic forest, which I put a waypoint on for future use.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

As a sort of side question. I've got a furnace and alembics set up, along with an infusion altar and some warded jars(made a Pickaxe of the Core so far. The process is quite cool to watch), and I was wondering: any recommendations for an item to get Praecantatio(purple magic essentia)? I've found quite a few items that give some but they're all too valuable to burn in a furnace. I need a cheap item to burn.