Tinker's Construct Smeletry Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

okera

Jul 29, 2019
hello folks,

iam struggling with the smeletery from tinkers construct.

iam playing agrarian skies and i need iron desperatly.

unfortunately as soon as i threw iron ore in my smeltery it is getting mixed to bronze or whatever.

i have 10 ingots of bronze now, but no iron :((

from time to time, i have a red fluid in it, which is called 'molten iron'. when i try to put it into a cast it looks like this:

hxVS

it's never getting cold. i have to destroy it :(

any help is appreciated,

thanks

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
click on the bronze in the smeltery GUI, this will move it to the bottom so you can pour it.

Remove the bronze then put more iron in :)

Also I'm not sure how you're getting iron turning into bronze. That should be only copper and tin

okera

Jul 29, 2019
maybe i was wrong with iron melting into bronze.
what else do i have in my smeltery?
Molten Invar
Molten Aluminium Brass
Molten Electrum
Molten Platinum
Molten Tin
Molten Lead, Gold, Silver, Nickel, Aluminium and Copper.

Is something from that sucking up iron?

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
maybe i was wrong with iron melting into bronze.
what else do i have in my smeltery?
Molten Invar
Molten Aluminium Brass
Molten Electrum
Molten Platinum
Molten Tin
Molten Lead, Gold, Silver, Nickel, Aluminium and Copper.

Is something from that sucking up iron?

Invar is a combination of Iron, and Nickel at a 2:1 ratio. If you are putting those two in there closely together, they are likely combining, thus eliminating your iron. Just to be safe, I would stick to putting 1 type of ore in at a time until you get multiple smelteries in place.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah stick to one or two types of items in the smeltery at the time. It just gets messy with more as there are so many different alloy combinations that can occur.

Also your iron never hardens because there is not enough to completely fill the cast. If your cast needs 3 units but if you have only poured 2 into it, it will stay molten forever.

Reactions: egor66

okera

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the informations, very helpful :)

i will do as you said.

have a nice weekend!

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
Iron+Nickel (same as ferrous) = Invar
Gold+Silver = Electrum
Copper+Tin = Bronze
Copper+Aluminum = Aluminum brass

So you don't want to melt any of those same time to not get mixed metals. They cannot be separated.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Not being a smart arse or if I am sry, but the main thing with Tic smelteries is common sense, on AgS maps/servers I normally have 3 to smelt all the ore types, the secret is never to add ores that will mix with each other unless you want them too, its really that easy, read the recipes section of the Tic manual, then check out ingots in nei to see what other mods used mixed metals to make a new ingot, you will get the idea & soon be a Tic expert :).

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Not being a smart arse or if I am sry, but the main thing with Tic smelteries is common sense, on AgS maps/servers I normally have 3 to smelt all the ore types, the secret is never to add ores that will mix with each other unless you want them too, its really that easy, read the recipes section of the Tic manual, then check out ingots in nei to see what other mods used mixed metals to make a new ingot, you will get the idea & soon be a Tic expert :).
"Secrets"

Reactions: Not_Steve
J

JAguiar939

I know I'm 4 years late to this, and you've probably already figured this out, so I'm going to leave this here for anyone who may not know (and if Thermal Expansion is also installed):
If you want to have one large Smeltery, you can have some pipes/itemducts filtered to send all the alloy ingots to a pulveriser, turning them to dust and outputting them to a centrifugal separator which will separate the alloy into it's component metals. Not the most efficient solution but still an option.

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I know I'm 4 years late to this, and you've probably already figured this out, so I'm going to leave this here for anyone who may not know (and if Thermal Expansion is also installed):
If you want to have one large Smeltery, you can have some pipes/itemducts filtered to send all the alloy ingots to a pulveriser, turningthem to dust and outputting them to a centrifugal separator which will separate the alloy into it's component metals. Not the most efficient solution but still an option.
I mean, I’m not sure this is necessarily the right thread for that, but that IS a neat thing that can be done, that wasn’t possible until this iteration of Thermal Expansion, so it is pretty cool. There is a What Cool Thing thread; I reckon this would be nice in there! Sort of like:

“Accidentally made some alloys in your smeltery? Fear not! You can get your metals back.” And then explain that.

J

JAguiar939

I mean, I’m not sure this is necessarily the right thread for that, but that IS a neat thing that can be done, that wasn’t possible until this iteration of Thermal Expansion, so it is pretty cool. There is a What Cool Thing thread; I reckon this would be nice in there! Sort of like:

“Accidentally made some alloys in your smeltery? Fear not! You can get your metals back.” And then explain that.

Excellent! I'll have a look around to see if it's been mentioned before, and I'll head over to that thread and give it a mention :)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always

The only thing is that by the time you can create and power a Centrifugal Separator, you probably won't care about accidentally making a block or two of bronze or electrum or invar in your TiCon smeltery by accident, because you'll be past the point where you're counting individual blocks, and figure you'll just be able to use it in something else you're doing a bit later.

You know, this almost makes me want to create a progression pack. One in which you start off with TiCon, then progress to Immersive Engineering, and then finally after you get through that you can start playing with Thermal Expansion. It wouldn't actually take very much, either. Just change the recipe of the machine frame to require a steel mechanical component or something. Maybe HOP Graphite if I want to be rude. Not a hardcore progression pack, and not one that has unnecessary time gates, just a casual progression pack that teaches the end-user one mod at a time.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
The only thing is that by the time you can create and power a Centrifugal Separator, you probably won't care about accidentally making a block or two of bronze or electrum or invar in your TiCon smeltery by accident, because you'll be past the point where you're counting individual blocks, and figure you'll just be able to use it in something else you're doing a bit later.

You know, this almost makes me want to create a progression pack. One in which you start off with TiCon, then progress to Immersive Engineering, and then finally after you get through that you can start playing with Thermal Expansion. It wouldn't actually take very much, either. Just change the recipe of the machine frame to require a steel mechanical component or something. Maybe HOP Graphite if I want to be rude. Not a hardcore progression pack, and not one that has unnecessary time gates, just a casual progression pack that teaches the end-user one mod at a time.
See, I had a funny idea in the opposite direction - a pack where you can't find ores or anything, but you start off with a couple of machines, and you have to basically retrieve scrap metals from places/mobs you raid, a bit Mad Max; you throw the alloys and stuff through a pulveriser to shred them down, then separate out the metals into their pure forms to effectively recycle them into other stuff. It was an idea, not sure if it would work, but it did intrigue me.

Reactions: Hambeau

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
See, I had a funny idea in the opposite direction - a pack where you can't find ores or anything, but you start off with a couple of machines, and you have to basically retrieve scrap metals from places/mobs you raid, a bit Mad Max; you throw the alloys and stuff through a pulveriser to shred them down, then separate out the metals into their pure forms to effectively recycle them into other stuff. It was an idea, not sure if it would work, but it did intrigue me.

That sounds awesome!! Someone get on that.. GO GO GO!!! :rolleyes:

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
click on the bronze in the smeltery GUI, this will move it to the bottom so you can pour it.

Remove the bronze then put more iron in :)

Also I'm not sure how you're getting iron turning into bronze. That should be only copper and tin
HOLY CRAP! I had no idea you could click on the liquids in the smeltery to move them around in the pour order! That is amazing!