Best early game method of sorting?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

99.99%derpy

Jul 29, 2019
So i am trying to find a way to sort all my stuff in a sorting system?

What is the best way to sort early game?Please Post i Need the Best Early Game way to sort my items!:)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Early game? The above with Inventory Tweaks. Later on: XU, TC4, TE3, Railcraft, BC, etc...

Reactions: SatanicSanta

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
There's a mod called refined relocation that, in theory, is both early game and useful for sorting, but I usually just spam JABBA walls for stackable items, and for tools, I melt them down if I can, or repair them and see if I can melt them down now, or if I have GT, grind them up and remake them later with extra dusts.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Itemducts can be somewhat useful and cheap if you can wrap your head around working out its little quirks.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Well for 2 diamonds you get 8 diamond pipes which if you arrange properly you can make a sorting system that will last for a good while. Those were my early game sorting system back before itemducts and extra utilities sorting pipes. But yeah, Extra utilities sorting pipes and TE strongboxes. Items dont go into the chest unless they are already there and if you use the mod sorting pipe all it needs is to have one item from a certain mod and everything else from it will go there. they are so cheap to make its kind of OP. And strongboxes are just plain awesome.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
As far as my gameplay goes, my sorting system goes like this: pile everything into as few chests as possible (so I don't waste any wood), and then don't do anything but mine with that pickaxe for the materials needed to make an Applied Energistics system - an ME Controller, a Terminal, and a Drive. And then make at least 2 of the 1K drives. Once I have that made, I never ever have to worry about pipes or sorting or anything (only worry about power, so Thermal Expansion is a close second in importance during this phase of my gameplay).

tl;dr: AE for all my sorting, as soon as I can possibly get it up and running (very early game if you focus). AE can sort by how many items you have, or it can sort by alphabetical order, etc. It's the best mod ever if you hate clutter and having a bazillion chests scattered all over!!

Feodin

Jul 29, 2019
I'll second Refined Relocation. Probably cheaper than the other systems, especially early on. It only adds 4 gold bar to the cost of a chest, and has a JABBA barrel version as well. Some pretty impressive filters to allow you to sort however you want, and don't have to fiddle around with pipes, just set them down next to each other and they'll automatically go to work. Don't even need to have a designated dump chest, if you drop something into a chest where it doesn't belong, they'll shift it to the correct place.

Granted in mid to late game nothing really beats a properly setup AE system.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019

Just throwing this out there; AE isn't sorting- it's putting everything into a gigantic box.

Yeah it's powerful and is storage, but rarely is there ever any sorting goin on there.

And as for the OP: I usually just do Iron Chests or BetterStorage chests with everything shoved in them completely randomly. Eventually I'll get a sorting system up and running, usually using Railcraft's Item Unloaders, though I do like HopperDucts and other means of sorting items.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Just throwing this out there; AE isn't sorting- it's putting everything into a gigantic box.

Yeah it's powerful and is storage, but rarely is there ever any sorting goin on there.

And as for the OP: I usually just do Iron Chests or BetterStorage chests with everything shoved in them completely randomly. Eventually I'll get a sorting system up and running, usually using Railcraft's Item Unloaders, though I do like HopperDucts and other means of sorting items.

Isnt the point of sorting ease of use? And AE accomplishes it gloriously... But it isnt sorting... Why am I making this post?

Also why in the gorilla do you need sprting early game? What do you have to sort?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I guess what many people mean with 'sorting' is basically organizing their storage so they can find stuff :)

For that AE is most likely one of the best solutions. With Logistics Pipes you can also do some good organization. Otherwise the easiest way is probably chests + signs :)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
First few ingame days: Manually piling everything into wooden chests until my noobcave starts to get overrun with them ->
Then: Gold/Diamond chests ->
Once I get my quarry running: Itemducts into Gold/Diamond chests ->
Once I have a decent base set up and a bit of quartz: ME Network and all my troubles packed away into a single lovely block :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

If you are the sort that just piles a stack of unformatted disks into drives and calls that's that, then maybe its not sorting. But AE is so much more than that.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

I totally disagree here, although I understand where you are coming from.

To me, AE has the most powerful sorter there is... that little search box tied directly to NEI. But I see we're comparing apples and oranges tho... the OP is asking for "sorting", like Direwolf built early on in his 1.6 modpack Let'sPlay series on youtube with Logistics Pipes.

I do my "sorting" manually. I just dump everything into my AE box, yeah, but when I need something it's just a few keystrokes away, thanks to the AE search box.

I would also call the various AE "busses" as "sorters" too, since I use the busses to selectively send my raw materials out for processing in my various machines. All automatically. Honeycombs go to Centrifuges... Chestnuts go to Squeezers... Metal grains are turned into dusts, and dusts are turned into ingots, and I don't do anything to make it happen. That's "sorting" too, isn't it, in a way?

Last edited: