Best early game method of sorting?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I'm so confused right now.

It's a state of mind.

Once your base reaches the stage where all of your machines are automated, every item can be crafted automatically, all of your farms are maintained automatically, your resource gathering has become automatic and your storage system will detect low free space and add extra capacity without your intervention...then you can claim to have become one with Colin.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It's an AE system that plays MC for you, basically.
Oh. Sounds boring.
On the other hand you can have a LOT of fun setting up lots of advanced automations that would otherwise have been too big, complicated or brought down the server/world if done with "lesser" means. I know I am having lots of fun doing stuff that would not have been achievable without AE.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Golems aren't very early game. Personally, I would use golems but they're a PITA to make.
What? even with the automated alchemy doohicky? When you build one of those golems are easy to make. And the automated alchemy is not too far down the progression path either.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
On the other hand you can have a LOT of fun setting up lots of advanced automations that would otherwise have been too big, complicated or brought down the server/world if done with "lesser" means. I know I am having lots of fun doing stuff that would not have been achievable without AE.
I have a lot of fun setting things up, yes, but I also enjoy maintaining them.
Pretty much everything AE does apart from the main part (the "everything is accessible in one block" part) can be done through other mods. It's just more complex, which I find to be more fun than AE.

Reactions: Padfoote

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
No one seems to understand that AE was originally an add-on to LP and they work seamlessly together...I vote AE + LP :D

That's like making distinctions between the abrahamic faiths because one is older than another and the younger ones are just mods for vanilla Judaism.

Colin is the one true faith, all your heathen alternatives can go hang.

[insert apologetics here]

Reactions: asb3pe

mthp9

Jul 29, 2019
Just throwing this out there; AE isn't sorting- it's putting everything into a gigantic box.

Yeah it's powerful and is storage, but rarely is there ever any sorting goin on there.

And as for the OP: I usually just do Iron Chests or BetterStorage chests with everything shoved in them completely randomly. Eventually I'll get a sorting system up and running, usually using Railcraft's Item Unloaders, though I do like HopperDucts and other means of sorting items.
Why would you every need a sorting system if everything you have is in one box?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
That's like making distinctions between the abrahamic faiths because one is older than another and the younger ones are just mods for vanilla Judaism.

Colin is the one true faith, all your heathen alternatives can go hang.

[insert apologetics here]

Oh my god JUST LAUGHING SO HARD RIGHT NOW

Me three. :)

And no, I didn't know AE and LP have a common heritage and were linked somehow, eons ago ("months" are "eons" in the FTB world).

Reactions: trajing

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
No one seems to understand that AE was originally an add-on to LP and they work seamlessly together...I vote AE + LP :D
"originally" = "not anymore" in this case
Look at TE, it was originally a BC addon.
Why would you every need a sorting system if everything you have is in one box?
I'm not going to actually answer this because you clearly haven't read the rest of my posts, and I believe that you are capable of doing that.