Most popular pack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

r4bbit5

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I'm planning to make a public modded server and I was wondering what the most popular or the best pack to host a server on.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Monster is the most popular. TPPI and Direwolf are better balanced though
I wouldn't say direwolf is balanced its pretty much just as easy as monster.

But, yes monster or direwolf are the most popular packs right now.

Jerx99

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of the current rage/hype is for the Agrarian Skies pack/challenge map. If you want abit more of a casual experience, you can config HQM to give you 100 lives from the start.

For a "normal" mod experience (if there was ever such a thing), I'd say probably TPPI or DW20 (for abit more of a restricted experience).

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Isn't FTB Ultimate the pack with the most downloads? It's obviously not used much now, but overall. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I think @Jadedcat said something about it.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
If you hate the people on your server, I have the perfect pack for you!

BloodNBones_Banner.png

In all seriousness, though, that pack is the hardest on the launcher by far. Only play it if you're prepared to die.

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
If you hate the people on your server, I have the perfect pack for you!

BloodNBones_Banner.png

In all seriousness, though, that pack is the hardest on the launcher by far. Only play it if you're prepared to die.
We would not be playing if we were not prepared to die in them. It's how you recover from that death that matters.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, pick a modpack that fits you best. If you are just starting I would suggest monster so you have a chance to see all the mods, then pick and choose.

After that, adapting to new mods, or modpacks of different modsets, will become a fluid transition as you have the skills to analyze and learn the mods/synergies between the mods.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. Just out of curiosity, what is the most downloaded pack in total? Like, of all the mc versions?

DW20. If you include all versions of the pack.[DOUBLEPOST=1400553501][/DOUBLEPOST]
@Jadedcat cat how does Direwolf20 stand vs TPPI downloadwise can you please settle it once and for all?

DW20 wins. DW20 beats everything. You can't really make a pack expecting to beat a guy that has that much of a built in user base.

To be fair its kind of hard to do it in all versions. A 1.2.5 pack has been out longer than a 1.6 pack. Older packs have more overall downloads, but if you compare them inside the same version time frame a 1.2.5 pack will have less downloads in the same time period as a 1.6 pack in the same time period.

DW20 is also not a fair comparison cause its the one pack that keeps coming back. The only other pack that has made the transition between 2 MC versions is Magic Farm.

If you look at over all the time packs have been out and throw out DW20, Ultimate has the most downloads. It was the closest FTB ever came to making a "gamepack" instead of a "modpack". However if you look at current downloads in say the last month its much lower. And the 1.6 packs are catching up. They just have to make up for Ultimate having been out a lot longer.

TLDR: You can only really compare packs on the same versionif you want to know if one pack is more downloaded than another. And DW20 wins all of them.

Last edited:

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I thought thank you for explaining at least now it will stop silly arguments :)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Frankly DL numbers could be deceptive, DW20 pack has Direwolf20's influence that will get it the DL's but that doesn't mean they will stick to playing it. I mean I didn't, I think I've DLed all the packs, some I've DL'ed multiple times.

The FTB team has NO reliable way of determining players actual time investment in each modpack, at least without using shady measures that would equate to spying on players. Which I hope think they don't do, hence why Jaded is mentioning DL numbers, as that is information they are entitled to and kind of need. Like a company knows how many units they sold within 99% accuracy but can't easily tell how much you like the product without asking or being told. High unit sales can equate to satisfaction but this depends of whether the item is worth returning if unsatisfied. This goes double for FTB modpacks as there's no returning of mod packs, I bet some people don't even delete packs they don't like.

If I was to put on my pundit cap I would actually wager that if the FTB RF standardization thing happens in 1.7 DW20 might see a slight rise in usage as some people can't do without their EU and MJ based staples. DW20 doesn't quite look like he's ready to forgo IC3 and the like just yet. Then again if he thinks the FTB teams idea was smart, you never know.

Right now though nobody can really tell you which packs are actually popular and in use, at least not enough to reliably base the decision you want to make. You will have to do your own research on FTB server listing sites and tally up the top 20 servers to see what they use.

Or you could do it the easy way and just pick the pack you like and stick with it. For all you know the most used pack might not be the one people want to play. The objective of most server admins tend to not align completely with the wants of players. An admin might pick the pack that causes the least technical headaches but isn't the pack that's most fun.
It also depends on the region your server will be based in, I can count the number of reliable Oceanic FTB servers on one hand I don't think there's a good Horizons server in Oceana so if players in that region where dieing to play that pack they can't so they play another pack.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
Frankly DL numbers could be deceptive, DW20 pack has Direwolf20's influence that will get it the DL's but that doesn't mean they will stick to playing it. I mean I didn't, I think I've DLed all the packs, some I've DL'ed multiple times.

The FTB team has NO reliable way of determining players actual time investment in each modpack, at least without using shady measures that would equate to spying on players. Which I hope think they don't do, hence why Jaded is mentioning DL numbers, as that is information they are entitled to and kind of need. Like a company knows how many units they sold within 99% accuracy but can't easily tell how much you like the product without asking or being told. High unit sales can equate to satisfaction but this depends of whether the item is worth returning if unsatisfied. This goes double for FTB modpacks as there's no returning of mod packs, I bet some people don't even delete packs they don't like.

If I was to put on my pundit cap I would actually wager that if the FTB RF standardization thing happens in 1.7 DW20 might see a slight rise in usage as some people can't do without their EU and MJ based staples. DW20 doesn't quite look like he's ready to forgo IC3 and the like just yet. Then again if he thinks the FTB teams idea was smart, you never know.

Right now though nobody can really tell you which packs are actually popular and in use, at least not enough to reliably base the decision you want to make. You will have to do your own research on FTB server listing sites and tally up the top 20 servers to see what they use.

Or you could do it the easy way and just pick the pack you like and stick with it. For all you know the most used pack might not be the one people want to play. The objective of most server admins tend to not align completely with the wants of players. An admin might pick the pack that causes the least technical headaches but isn't the pack that's most fun.
It also depends on the region your server will be based in, I can count the number of reliable Oceanic FTB servers on one hand I don't think there's a good Horizons server in Oceana so if players in that region where dieing to play that pack they can't so they play another pack.
The point you're making about people downloading and then not playing (long) is valid.... for all packs :) Which means that, yes absolute numbers could be lower, but percentage wise it wouldn't really matter