Big Reactor design for Passive reactor.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I got back to Monster and I´m about to setup a Big reactor reactor. I last played BR before the Turbine update and already found this:
Spotlight
Turbine spreadsheet

But for the moment I would like to just go with a passive cooled reactor since this will fullfit my needs.
And together with a MFR Laser Drill its auto sustaining. Back when I played it the last time a 7x7x3 passive reactor was the most fuel effective one.
I used this spreadsheet for the info.
But now I set it up equal but the numbers changed. So I´m not sure if its still the most effective one just the calculation on how much energie is gives changed or if it indeed also needs to be restructured to be effective.

The turbine spreadsheet is a bit to complex for me and since I¨m not using Turbines atm I think its also irrelevant for me.

Reactions: RealSketch

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone says 7x7 is the most efficient.

That is a gross inaccuracy. And rather confusing: Most efficient in what way? Fuel Consumption per RF? per block of reactor volume?

The simplest way to make fuel efficient reactors is to make them quite flat, and lay out the control rods in a spaced grid - so that each rod has a block of moderator between it and the next rod, and is cardinally aligned with other fuel rod , that it can fertilize (and be fertilized by) - with coolant around the edges.

Fill all the spaces that partake in moderation (the spaces with a fuel rod n/s or e/w) with gelid cryotheum (The best moderator) and all the spaces that partake in cooling (not between fuel rods, but directly n/s or e/w of a fuel rod) with gelig cryotheum (also the best coolant).

You will achieve ~500RF/t per fuel rod in the design, with an efficiency of about 80kiRF/mB of fuel consumed.

Radiation propogates 4 blocks from each fuel rod iirc, so if space (and materials) are no concern, you can maximize cooling by having the control rod "Core" surrounded by 4blocks (on each side) of space dedicated to cooling.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
That is a gross inaccuracy. And rather confusing: Most efficient in what way? Fuel Consumption per RF? per block of reactor volume?

The simplest way to make fuel efficient reactors is to make them quite flat, and lay out the control rods in a spaced grid - so that each rod has a block of moderator between it and the next rod, and is cardinally aligned with other fuel rod , that it can fertilize (and be fertilized by) - with coolant around the edges.

Fill all the spaces that partake in moderation (the spaces with a fuel rod n/s or e/w) with gelid cryotheum (The best moderator) and all the spaces that partake in cooling (not between fuel rods, but directly n/s or e/w of a fuel rod) with gelig cryotheum (also the best coolant).

You will achieve ~500RF/t per fuel rod in the design, with an efficiency of about 80kiRF/mB of fuel consumed.

Radiation propogates 4 blocks from each fuel rod iirc, so if space (and materials) are no concern, you can maximize cooling by having the control rod "Core" surrounded by 4blocks (on each side) of space dedicated to cooling.

Im only interested in fuel efficiency but it doesnt have to be absolutely perfect. You are making this entirely too complicated. I havent tested out every possible size and shape, but a 7x7 seems to be a fairly popular one and its a good size for anything in minecraft. If you space out the fuel rods then theres only one way to build a 7x7, and this is the first mention Ive seen anywhere of moderators. Why even bother yourself with thinking about it when gelid cryotheum is the best for both things?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
mmm. I think obsessing on a particular size to be "best" is not helpful, as needs for power actually vary - and it contributes to the assumption people have that big reactors are difficult to make efficient.

My advice is, ignore the spreadsheet. Decide on your power requirements in RF/t. Divide by 500 to get the number of fuel rods required. And then build a reactor around that as your starting point. Place the best moderator you have access to between the rods, and the best coolant everywhere else. Close it up and turn it on.

Its not that difficult, and you don't have to do it strictly according to some design.

Reactions: RedBoss

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
On @Bevo s latest(when you read this another one might be out) BTP episode he made a big reactor he said was the most efficient he has seen, check out his youtube, you might wanna try it

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
On @Bevo s latest(when you read this another one might be out) BTP episode he made a big reactor he said was the most efficient he has seen, check out his youtube, you might wanna try it
I made it with the help of @Mr_Turing on IRC :) I'm sure there are much better ones. But am quite happy with mine.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Cubes are most efficient and despite what most people will say different coolants provide different effects beyond RF/t or fuel consumption. Diamond blocks, for example, increase the rate of byproduct production most IIRC.

Best not to concern yourself too much with "best" unless you plan to delve deep into code land.

Build cubes, use resonant ender and diamond blocks for easiest results.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I just made a 100KiRF/mB efficiency Big Reactor, with a single core, by the rather simple expedient of building an 11x11 base, and placing one control rod in the center. I filled the entire thing with glass except the 16 blocks directly north, south, east and west of the control rod, and filled those with cryotheum.

I then took my 9x9 9 control rod reactor, removed all the spaces between the control rods, essentially adding an extra block of coolant between the new "hot" core and the reactor edges, and the efficiency again improved. Moderation between fuel rods doesn't seem at all important: or at least, currently (in 0.3a / whatever is in AgS), the best performing moderator block/fluid is no block at all.

I think Erogenous Beef needs to consider:
1. making radiation travel further.
2. making radiation distribute in a diamond pattern - like torches do with light. Filling the bulk of my reactor with glass doesn't make sense.

Mr_Turing

Jul 29, 2019
I just made a 100KiRF/mB efficiency Big Reactor, with a single core, by the rather simple expedient of building an 11x11 base, and placing one control rod in the center. I filled the entire thing with glass except the 16 blocks directly north, south, east and west of the control rod, and filled those with cryotheum.

I then took my 9x9 9 control rod reactor, removed all the spaces between the control rods, essentially adding an extra block of coolant between the new "hot" core and the reactor edges, and the efficiency again improved. Moderation between fuel rods doesn't seem at all important: or at least, currently (in 0.3a / whatever is in AgS), the best performing moderator block/fluid is no block at all.

I think Erogenous Beef needs to consider:
1. making radiation travel further.
2. making radiation distribute in a diamond pattern - like torches do with light. Filling the bulk of my reactor with glass doesn't make sense.

Yep, a reactor like that would be the most fuel efficient but it wont generate much power if any.

Moderation between rod is actually pretty important, it increases fertility by slowing down the neutron pulses so that rods can absorb them, bunching the rods in like you did will increase the temperature a fuckton which will increase power production and will also increase fertility a bit (depending on what you used as a medium before) but it'll also increase consumption a whole lot, by having 2 spaces between the rods and the walls you increase the radiation conversion into power so that does help with efficiency.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
um, "increased rate of byproduct production" is a synonym for "rubbish efficiency".

I'll remember to come quote this when someone makes a breeder-esque reactor abusing diamond blocks to get a ton of the by product stuff for extra fuel that blows other reactor efficiencies away.

Mr_Turing

Jul 29, 2019
I'll remember to come quote this when someone makes a breeder-esque reactor abusing diamond blocks to get a ton of the by product stuff for extra fuel that blows other reactor efficiencies away.
Thing is, there's no mechanic quite like that in Big Reactors at the moment.
Right now you can do 2 things with Cyanite (the by-product) reprocess 2 ingots into 1 Bluetonium (Same as yellorium in every way except looks) or build Turbine parts.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Thing is, there's no mechanic quite like that in Big Reactors at the moment.
Right now you can do 2 things with Cyanite (the by-product) reprocess 2 ingots into 1 Bluetonium (Same as yellorium in every way except looks) or build Turbine parts.

I mean using the diamond blocks to increase production of Cyanite so much that 1 yellorium is several times more efficient from producing all the Cyanite which is(read: haven't tried/tested but theoretically) possible.

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
I mean using the diamond blocks to increase production of Cyanite so much that 1 yellorium is several times more efficient from producing all the Cyanite which is(read: haven't tried/tested but theoretically) possible.
I would love to see someone do this. I love the BR Turbines, but the time sink for the mats is nuts. I literally made a local server on my computer to put my AS world on and left running in the background for 3 days while at the office or making videos for my other let's plays for all the cyanate I need for my turbine. And I was using diamond blocks in that reactor at the time. :p

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I would love to see someone do this. I love the BR Turbines, but the time sink for the mats is nuts. I literally made a local server on my computer to put my AS world on and left running in the background for 3 days while at the office or making videos for my other let's plays for all the cyanate I need for my turbine. And I was using diamond blocks in that reactor at the time. :p
Yea it can get a bit tedious. Then again you can start BR rather early in AS(If you try to anyway) which can help alleviate that time sink as you'll still have lots of other things to do as well.

Mr_Turing

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I'll have to take another look at the code, but from what I gathered, fuel consumption can be accelerated or decelerated using fertility and heat but production is ALWAYS on a 1:1 scale.

I could be terribly wrong, if I am, we have a very cool concept on our hands!

Perhaps Erogenous Beef (still on of the best dev names ever) could add increased cyanide generation as an effect of an exotic coolant or something.