Big Reactors, and Farming Question (Shrooms)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I think the power outputs in 0.3 are quite different.

My "12 core" big reactors (from a 14 high reactor with a single 12 fuel rod block high "single"control rod to a 3 high reactor with 12 individual control rods) ALL achieve 6.2+KRF/t outputs, and consume about 0.080mb/t. With the powerProductionMultiplier set to 1.0. Oh, when cooled with ender. They have a fuel effiency of 60,000,000 RF per ingot (which takes from 680 to 1000s to burn). That drops to about 25,000,000RF per ingot when water cooled, and rises higher than 80,000,000RF when cryotheum cooled.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
easy but slow way to get mycellium: sludge boiler. if you have mfr harvesters on a tree farm or crops, process the sludge. youll get lots of sand, dirt, clay and peat, but occasionally you will get soul sand and mycellium.

look in community builds for magic crops + big reactors thread, theres a big setup at the end showing 16 turbines running off a single reactor. fuel for the reactor is generated by magic crops, and the whole thing is running 32 mfr laser drills.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Forture 3 axe, or luck 3 TiCo Hatchet.
Mycellium.
Bone meal.
1 shroom of either type...

????????????????????????

Profit.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Well for a start I think you need to add four more diamond blocks, the top layer is missing. Also what setting do you have on your control rods?

A bit up someone had mentioned to take the reactor height, minus 2 (which would be 5) for the blocks. Does it need to be flush with the top of the reactor like the control rod? Regardless, I got the diamonds for it, so will get right on it.

From the screenshot you are using an older - 0.2ish, version of Big Reactors. The 0.3 UI has 4 graphs, and shows the mB/t and RF/t outputs of the reactor.

Was 0.2.1.5, but updated to 0.3.0, the first .3 version he marked as stable. New Screenshot below, with different numbers.

the spreadsheet is also running at x3. If you are running on default settings, that is why. (it says right at the top of the spreadsheet...).

Also, that spreadsheet was all done in version .2...a few things might have altered the power output a bit in .3a, not much though.

Updated now.

2014-04-25_15.09.18.png

I am assuming that is 13.4k RF/tick ? I'm assuming it is because it can't eject it into the adjacent resonant energy cell as fast as it's made. It's holding steady at the temp in the screenshot. Would this come down with the 4 other blocks? I am assuming yes. I go the other extreme here. Now I'm more than double the RF output. Also, what's with the reactor control rods? Not really sure what they do.

Thoughts?

Edit > The diamonds don't do nothing for the cooling. Everything else I mentioned remains unchanged.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
That reactor is running really hot and is going to burn through a bucket (ingot) of fuel every 248s. Its producing 268kRF/s - so it will produce 66,464,000RF per ingot.
Which is not the worst fuel efficiency, but if you go and set the control rods to, say, 30% moderation, you should get the power output to below 10kRF/t, drop the temperature, and increase the efficiency.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
A bit up someone had mentioned to take the reactor height, minus 2 (which would be 5) for the blocks. Does it need to be flush with the top of the reactor like the control rod? Regardless, I got the diamonds for it, so will get right on it

your coolant needs to be the same height as your fuel rods.

From the perspective in the pic you showed it looked like the top row of the fuel rods (as in the layer just below the roof of the reactor) was missing its coolant.

Or it could just be my crap eyesight :p

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
your coolant needs to be the same height as your fuel rods.

From the perspective in the pic you showed it looked like the top row of the fuel rods (as in the layer just below the roof of the reactor) was missing its coolant.

Or it could just be my crap eyesight :p

In the initial pick it was 2 below height, which was what was being told. But that's fixed now :).

That reactor is running really hot and is going to burn through a bucket (ingot) of fuel every 248s. Its producing 268kRF/s - so it will produce 66,464,000RF per ingot.
Which is not the worst fuel efficiency, but if you go and set the control rods to, say, 30% moderation, you should get the power output to below 10kRF/t, drop the temperature, and increase the efficiency.

2014-04-26_14.44.09.png
This is at 60%. The initial pic was at no reduction.

2014-04-26_14.47.50.png
This one is at 80% reduction in all 5 cores, which for the time being is more than enough.

The question I have is, is there a way to control the cores remotely without having to climb on top of the reactor every time I need power adjusted based on my needs?

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
The question I have is, is there a way to control the cores remotely without having to climb on top of the reactor every time I need power adjusted based on my needs?

Your gonna want to look into the redstone/rednet/computercraft ports for that one.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Your gonna want to look into the redstone/rednet/computercraft ports for that one.

I don't know how to code with computer craft that well, so that is a no go for me, as google searches for programs have been useless. Right now, I have 4 rods turned off, and the 4th running at only 20% of it's maximum, which is enough for me for the time being, as I don't really need the power output until I get into bees and things like that that are power hungry.

I don't have any rednet things built yet, but can delve into that, but I am gonna assume that the interface for that is similar to the redstone one. I am a little confused as to how it works. There are 8 separate things that can be adjusted here, but not sure if what I want to adjust (the rods) can be, and if so how it's done.

What I am aiming to do, and not sure if it's even possible is a few things.

1. Control the reactor remotely. Turning it on, and off as needed, while not using any fuel in between (it shouldn't use it if its turned off). Control the cores individually, if possible, even if computer craft is needed.

2. Monitor the stored power remotely.

3. Refuel it remotely. This I can do with golems, or ender chests, and item ducts, but curious if there is a more efficient way to go about it.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
1. Control the reactor remotely. Turning it on, and off as needed, while not using any fuel in between (it shouldn't use it if its turned off). Control the cores individually, if possible, even if computer craft is needed.

2. Monitor the stored power remotely.

3. Refuel it remotely. This I can do with golems, or ender chests, and item ducts, but curious if there is a more efficient way to go about it.

ender chests are perfect for remote fueling. for power control, i did a simple circuit. if you have project red, you can use a rs latch. place 3 redstone ports on your reactor. set one to control turning the reactor on/off via redstone signal. set another one to emit when power buffer is above 95%. last one set to emit when power buffer drops below 10%. now place rs latch on the side of the reactor, get some red alloy wire and jacketed wire, place jackets on ports, use red alloy wire to wire the rest to the rs latch. the output of the rs latch goes to the on/off redstone port, and wire the 2 power level ports to the inputs of the latch. this should automatically turn the reactor off when power buffer peaks and turn it back on when it drops to almost empty.

no project red? search mc wiki on redstone circuits and look for rs nor latch, it does exact same thing

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
ender chests are perfect for remote fueling. for power control, i did a simple circuit. if you have project red, you can use a rs latch. place 3 redstone ports on your reactor. set one to control turning the reactor on/off via redstone signal. set another one to emit when power buffer is above 95%. last one set to emit when power buffer drops below 10%. now place rs latch on the side of the reactor, get some red alloy wire and jacketed wire, place jackets on ports, use red alloy wire to wire the rest to the rs latch. the output of the rs latch goes to the on/off redstone port, and wire the 2 power level ports to the inputs of the latch. this should automatically turn the reactor off when power buffer peaks and turn it back on when it drops to almost empty.

no project red? search mc wiki on redstone circuits and look for rs nor latch, it does exact same thing

I was just trying to get it to look more reactorish, but I reckon I can put ports on the bottom right? That way I can keep it looking reactorish, and just put them in my maintenance tunnel. As far as wiring the ports, and using the rs latch goes, do you have a diagram by chance? I get but you are saying, but I am having a hard time piecing this together in my head to setup.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I was just trying to get it to look more reactorish, but I reckon I can put ports on the bottom right? That way I can keep it looking reactorish, and just put them in my maintenance tunnel.

IIRC all ports must be on the sides, not the top or bottom (sadly).

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The simplest way to use a Big Reactor when you don't yet need its full power output is to attach the largest redstone energy cell you can make to its power output. Then, place a redstone comparator adjacent to that. Redstone energy cells will cause an adjacent to emit a redstone signal between 0 (when empty) and 15) when full. You can then run a short length of redstone from the comparator, to a redstone torch facing a Big Reactor redstone control port, such that a redstone signal turns the torch off.

This will cause the reactor to turn off when the energy cell is close to full, and turn on when it is empty. No computer craft needed.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
2014-04-26_19.59.13.png

the left most port controls on/off status of the reactor, which is hooked up to the output of the rs latch. the middle port is set to emit a signal when power buffer drops below 10%, the rightmost is set to emit when power buffer is above 95%. use jacketed wires to interface to the port, then convert to alloy wire when wiring the latch

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
2014-04-26_19.59.13.png

the left most port controls on/off status of the reactor, which is hooked up to the output of the rs latch. the middle port is set to emit a signal when power buffer drops below 10%, the rightmost is set to emit when power buffer is above 95%. use jacketed wires to interface to the port, then convert to alloy wire when wiring the latch

Thank ya much sir. As far as the rods go, is there a way to control those remotely, like for adjusting the percentage on them? Now a silly question, the reactor completely shuts off yes? Like won't consume any fuel? Cause it seemed like it was earlier. But was wondering.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
i believe u can control them via the redstone ports as well, havent tried that yet. as for the shutdown, yes its a total shutdown. its not consuming fuel when the reactor is down, but it will still produce a bit of power while the reactor cools down.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
i believe u can control them via the redstone ports as well, havent tried that yet. as for the shutdown, yes its a total shutdown. its not consuming fuel when the reactor is down, but it will still produce a bit of power while the reactor cools down.

I'll look into the ports now, less you get back to me sooner with your findings.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
hmm the redstone port to control rod insertion seems bugged...gonna try hitting up the mod dev about it