Against the ropes.. RR vs Monster

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CheatingChicken

Jul 29, 2019
I understand how RoC works. I used the magnetostatic engines in my live world, but for testing I tried many different setups. In my tests I had jet engines, bedrock gearboxes, etc.. and even with huge "Power" (speed/torque) going into it, I didn't notice a difference. You said that you can make it faster with more "Power" (speed/torque) so I am going to try again when I start up again. Could have missed a step or it could have been a bug in that release on that day. Not a big deal. :p

(and it doesn't change that mekanism has better speeds/output with much less complexity.)
If you want the easy version of it, Phase 2 and 3 are what is slowing down your extractor. Phase 1 and 4 have a minimum torque and require much less rad/S to reach almost instant speed than 2 and 3. Get a CVT unit, attach a redstone clock to it that periodicaly switches its modes. have it switch the input between 512Nm of torque and whatever speed that gives you and 1Nm of torque with insane speeds

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Rotarycraft's extractor can go through a stack of ore in a matter of seconds, all stages, given enough power (torqued for speed).

Saying "power" earlier was fine; saying "speed" is more precise. Silly discussion :p

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
If you want the easy version of it, Phase 2 and 3 are what is slowing down your extractor. Phase 1 and 4 have a minimum torque and require much less rad/S to reach almost instant speed than 2 and 3. Get a CVT unit, attach a redstone clock to it that periodicaly switches its modes. have it switch the input between 512Nm of torque and whatever speed that gives you and 1Nm of torque with insane speeds

One CVT isn't really enough for maximum processing speed. I use three.

I understand how RoC works. I used the magnetostatic engines in my live world, but for testing I tried many different setups. In my tests I had jet engines, bedrock gearboxes, etc.. and even with huge "Power" (speed/torque) going into it, I didn't notice a difference. You said that you can make it faster with more "Power" (speed/torque) so I am going to try again when I start up again. Could have missed a step or it could have been a bug in that release on that day. Not a big deal. :p

(and it doesn't change that mekanism has better speeds/output with much less complexity.)

I don't think you actually do understand, or maybe you are working with insufficient information (no insult intended!). In my world I have one RotaryCraft extractor feeding TWO Mek Elite smelters (with full speed and energy upgrades in both) and those two smelters can just about keep up with the extractor.

The setup is pretty simple. Four magnetostatic engines ganged together to produce 2048 rad/s @ 8192τ. This power is then fed into a line of three CVTs which then drive the extractor. The CVTs are configured for redstone control and are driven by a very simple ComputerCraft program (for compactness, but they could probably be driven by a redstone sequencer just as well). This setup powers through ore faster than the vanilla hopper feeding the extractor can keep up. It's simpler than a Mek 5x setup and processes more kinds of ore than does the Mek system.

I end up driving stage one at 32k r/s @ 512τ, stages two & three at 16M r/s @ 1τ, and stage four at 64k r/s @ 256τ.

Code:

Code:
-- Control the CVTs that drive the extractor input
-- CVT #3 (left) at 32xSpeed with signal, 16xSpeed w/o
-- CVT #2 (back) at 16xSpeed with signal, 1xSpeed w/o
-- CVT #1 (right) at 16xSpeed with signal, 1xSpeed w/o

while true do
  -- Configure for first stage
  redstone.setOutput("left", false)
  redstone.setOutput("right", false)
  redstone.setOutput("back", false)
  sleep(2)

-- Configure for second and third stages
  redstone.setOutput("left", true)
  redstone.setOutput("right", true)
  redstone.setOutput("back", true)
  sleep(2)

-- Configure for fourth stage
  sleep(2)
end

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
One CVT isn't really enough for maximum processing speed. I use three.

I don't think you actually do understand, or maybe you are working with insufficient information (no insult intended!). In my world I have one RotaryCraft extractor feeding TWO Mek Elite smelters (with full speed and energy upgrades in both) and those two smelters can just about keep up with the extractor.

The setup is pretty simple. Four magnetostatic engines ganged together to produce 2048 rad/s @ 8192τ. This power is then fed into a line of three CVTs which then drive the extractor. The CVTs are configured for redstone control and are driven by a very simple ComputerCraft program (for compactness, but they could probably be driven by a redstone sequencer just as well). This setup powers through ore faster than the vanilla hopper feeding the extractor can keep up. It's simpler than a Mek 5x setup and processes more kinds of ore than does the Mek system.

I end up driving stage one at 32k r/s @ 512τ, stages two & three at 16M r/s @ 1τ, and stage four at 64k r/s @ 256τ.

Code:

Code:
-- Control the CVTs that drive the extractor input
-- CVT #3 (left) at 32xSpeed with signal, 16xSpeed w/o
-- CVT #2 (back) at 16xSpeed with signal, 1xSpeed w/o
-- CVT #1 (right) at 16xSpeed with signal, 1xSpeed w/o

while true do
  -- Configure for first stage
  redstone.setOutput("left", false)
  sleep(2)

-- Configure for second and third stages
  redstone.setOutput("right", true)
  redstone.setOutput("back", true)
  sleep(2)

-- Configure for fourth stage
  sleep(2)
end
This is how Rotary Craft is done everybody.

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
Careful here. A CVT is a multiplier. Zero CVTs are enough if the initial input is enough.
Only true if you're willing to waste gobs and gobs of power. Stages 2&3 require almost no torque, so providing them with high speed at stage one torque is incredibly wasteful.

But yes, you're correct. A very high speed power source at 512τ would work too. :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Only true if you're willing to waste gobs and gobs of power. :D
Yer right, and I hate waste. I can't think of an easier way to seriously gear up speed, unless you have the new 256x gearbox on your pack (no idea how well it would work in our scenario).

KurShedir

Jul 29, 2019
To stay in topic, if the OP is interested, the 2.8 branch of Resonant Rise is going to have a stable release soon. No more atomic science, but has RF powered tiered jetpacks now, which is nice.

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
I can't really explain why, but RR feels just a million times "cleaner" than Monster. Monster feels like a megapack (well, it is one) with all kinds of mods that don't really fit together thrown in. RR though feels much more focused. And also it gets updates and new mods quicker, for example Simply Jetpacks.

Reactions: Pyure

ThrillBird

Jul 29, 2019
I have always been a FTB'er, and I really don't have anything bad to say about them. But after switching to RR, I really don't feel a need to go back. While the FTB community is way bigger than RR's, the second feels like a more complete pack. Many mods that otherwise get little or no light on them from the big guys FTB and Tekkit, is in RR, which brings tons of different ways to complete the same task. Not to mention the flexibility with easy and frequent updates, and now also multiple config options to let you balance the game yourself

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pyure

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
You'll actually stay up to date with the mods via RR. Newer mods, newer working versions, all that jazz. I've seen people complain that they don't have X version of a mod that adds new content, meanwhile RR has had it before or at the same time as the latest Forgecraft LP player vid.

I do trim my pack though. But I'd rather use a pack that's up to date and robust than something I constantly have to add things.

acker

Jul 29, 2019
Saice's play it, nuff said.

Jokes aside, RR is way better than FTB. Why? Better launcher, in game chat, Mekanism, a small but loveable community, a lighter game, a better balance (your balance, after all)...

Give it a try and (probably, if you play SSP) you'll never go back to FTB.