Against the ropes.. RR vs Monster

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
I love FTB.. I don't want to switch launchers.. FTB is much more popular and I was thinking I'd do a Let's Play this time around... but I was doing some research into the Resonant Rise pack and I feel a bit cornered. One of the biggest kicks in the gut for Monster is AM2(which I've never used, but really want to get into). I was hoping by the time Monster went full-release that it would have AM2 in it, but according to Eyamaz, Slow doesn't want AM2 in the pack.

That being said, is there anything that I would miss if I went into RR over Monster? I like Lycanite mobs and Special mobs, but at this point they aren't enough to sway me. Am I overlooking a "core mod" that really makes Monster special?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Monster has IC2 which Resonant Rise doesn't have, but other then that, Resonant Rise has all the mods Monster has and more.

Reactions: Alcheya

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
Why not just manually add AM2? If I recall, the FTB config files are specially designed to avoid conflicts between ALL packs, and Ars Magica 2 is included in some of the packs which use the global configs (like Direwolf20's pack, for example) - so adding AM2 manually probably will be issue-free.

Reactions: Padfoote

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
if your computer can handle it, and you love to play with alot of mods, go for RR, but if you want stability and your computer isn't the greatest, stick with Monster

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Monster has IC2 which Resonant Rise doesn't have, but other then that, Resonant Rise has all the mods Monster has and more.

Damn.. that was quick and exactly what I needed. (Actually exactly what I was looking for...) Can't believe I didn't notice the lack of IC2. As much as I hate what's happened to it, it's still a pretty essential mod.

Why not just manually add AM2? If I recall, the FTB config files are specially designed to avoid conflicts between ALL packs, and Ars Magica 2 is included in some of the packs which use the global configs (like Direwolf20's pack, for example) - so adding AM2 manually probably will be issue-free.

Trying to stick to a "vanilla" modpack so when I do the LP, I won't feel like I'm excluding people. When I watch DW's Let's Plays, I would skip over the AM2 parts because I didn't have it in Monster and it was offputting to watch/listen to stuff about a mod I really wanted, but didn't have.[DOUBLEPOST=1397412992][/DOUBLEPOST]
IIRC RR doesn't have Rotarycraft.

I like RotaryCraft for the ore processing aspect, but Mekanism has better output and it's easier to grasp than RC.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
~Snip~
I like RotaryCraft for the ore processing aspect, but Mekanism has better output and it's easier to grasp than RC.
Partially true; Mek's has 5X ore output from a ore, RoC has ~5X on most ores, ~9X on Nether Variants/Valuable Ores(more IIRC if the ore is both valuable and a NO), and ~16X(IIRC) on GT Iridium Ore, but only if its overworld Iridium, NO Iridium has ~9X.(last I checked, anyway, which was v18 or so)
Just checked, NO Iridium still has ~9X ore processing.

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Partially true; Mek's has 5X ore output from a ore, RoC has ~5X on most ores, ~9X on Nether Variants/Valuable Ores(more IIRC if the ore is both valuable and a NO), and ~16X(IIRC) on GT Iridium Ore, but only if its overworld Iridium, NO Iridium has ~9X.(last I checked, anyway, which was v18 or so)
Just checked, NO Iridium still has ~9X ore processing.

Right, but you need a ton of RC ore processing machines to do what one set of Mekanisms advanced machines can do. You can place the set of 4 top-tier machines in a line and have them auto-feeding/auto-sorting to end product with an existing powergrid, no pipes, and minimal effort where you'd need to use pipes, several machines, and introduce a new power system or converter for RC.. not to mention MUCH faster, especially with upgrades.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Right, but you need a ton of RC ore processing machines to do what one set of Mekanisms advanced machines can do. You can place the set of 4 top-tier machines in a line and have them auto-feeding/auto-sorting to end product with an existing powergrid, no pipes, and minimal effort where you'd need to use pipes, several machines, and introduce a new power system or converter for RC.. not to mention MUCH faster, especially with upgrades.
False, you need 1 RoC Ore Processing Machine, and a way to power it. And the RoC one can process ores instantly if powered enough.

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
False, you need 1 RoC Ore Processing Machine, and a way to power it. And the RoC one can process ores instantly if powered enough.

Unless something has changed about RoC's ore processing machine since 1.0.9, it accepts 1 ore at a time and takes ages, even at max power, to go through all 5 steps.. so you'd need 7 to keep up with 1 set of Mek machines...and that's assuming something has changed with the speed. Mekanism's top-tier machines do 7 ores at once, with enough upgrades it goes through the process of all 4 machines almost instantly, and no need for a new power system or pipes.

---To add, the smelting process is included as well. RoC's machine doesn't smelt.. so you also have to add that into the speed factor.

KurShedir

Jul 29, 2019
Damn.. that was quick and exactly what I needed. (Actually exactly what I was looking for...) Can't believe I didn't notice the lack of IC2. As much as I hate what's happened to it, it's still a pretty essential mod.

You won't miss IC2 if you plan to use Mekanism. Try to do things differently, don't stick to your usual routine and you will have a good time playing Resonant Rise, trust me.
By the way, if you choose RR, go for the 2.7 branch if you want something stable, 2.8 is experimental. To clarify, I enjoy both modpacks, I play Resonant Rise on SSP and Monster on a server.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Unless something has changed about RoC's ore processing machine since 1.0.9, it accepts 1 ore at a time and takes ages, even at max power, to go through all 5 steps.. so you'd need 7 to keep up with 1 set of Mek machines...and that's assuming something has changed with the speed. Mekanism's top-tier machines do 7 ores at once, with enough upgrades it goes through the process of all 4 machines almost instantly, and no need for a new power system or pipes.

---To add, the smelting process is included as well. RoC's machine doesn't smelt.. so you also have to add that into the speed factor.
No, it takes 1 at a time, but again, can do it instantly, and if it's slow, you haven't fed it enough power. Need smelted goods? Get a friction heater, and power it way up, instant smelting.
The bottleneck for a end-game RoC ore Processing Chain is actually ore transport from your input chest to some sort of output chest.

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
You won't miss IC2 if you plan to use Mekanism. Try to do things differently, don't stick to your usual routine and you will have a good time playing Resonant Rise, trust me.
By the way, if you choose RR, go for the 2.7 branch if you want something stable, 2.8 is experimental. To clarify, I enjoy both modpacks, I play Resonant Rise on SSP and Monster on a server.

Might give them both a go and just continue with the one I find more entertaining after a while.

No, it takes 1 at a time, but again, can do it instantly, and if it's slow, you haven't fed it enough power. Need smelted goods? Get a friction heater, and power it way up, instant smelting.
The bottleneck for a end-game RoC ore Processing Chain is actually ore transport from your input chest to some sort of output chest.

I remember trying to give it more power and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll try it again. I had 8 of them going and it really couldn't keep up with my ore input even at it's slowest, where Mekanism completely ate anything I could throw at it. As far as ore transport is concerned, I found ender-IO to be godly for instant item transport.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Might give them both a go and just continue with the one I find more entertaining after a while.

I remember trying to give it more power and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll try it again. I had 8 of them going and it really couldn't keep up with my ore input where Mekanism completely ate anything I could throw at it. As far as ore transport is concerned, I found ender-IO to be godly for instant item transport.
With rotary craft, as far as speed goes, it isn't about as much power you give it. It's about how many Rad/s.

Reactions: Padfoote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
With rotary craft, as far as speed goes, it isn't about as much power you give it. It's about how many Rad/s.
Yes and no. I use power in the generic sense in my usual posts about RoC, as measure of how much energy you are producing. RoC is semi-Unique in of that power is a actual term in it, namely the combination of Rad/s and Torque. In most cases, a machine will run better simply by throwing more power at it. Yes, IIRC, The Extractor wants more Rad/s to go faster, but it will also increase power power it receives if you just increase the Rad/s without decreasing the torque.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I remember trying to give it more power and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll try it again. I had 8 of them going and it really couldn't keep up with my ore input even at it's slowest, where Mekanism completely ate anything I could throw at it. As far as ore transport is concerned, I found ender-IO to be godly for instant item transport.
As I said to @Wagon153 I use the term power in a generic way, even though in RoC it has a actual meaning and explanation. In many cases it is just a matter of throwing more power at something in RoC to make it go faster, but beyond that, most(if not all) machines want a certain aspect of that power more the the other half. When you sent power to the Extractor, did you see enough to run all four stages without any gearboxes trickery? If so, you may have missed out on a basic lesson in RoC: what makes power. And of course this makes me wonder, what did you use to get your RoC "Power", hm?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
tbh it's getting to the point where my 1.7 pack will be a custom one. Short of shelling out £500 on upgrades my machine just can't handle a pack with 200+ mods in it.

Monster was tough enough to run in its standard form, RR would likely be impossible.

I can probably make do with 30ish core mods and then rotate new ones I want to mess about with rather than pile hundreds into the same pack. I've even got to the point where I can really ditch IC2 and all its various addons even though I relied on them almost exclusively through the last couple of generations XD

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
One recent feature of RR is config sets that can be activated upon installation. Specifically, options for cutting down ore generation by 1/2 and 1/4, as well as powerful-and-expensive or cheap-but-weak reactors from AtSci and BR. That's pretty nice IMO if you don't want to screw with configs too much.

Reactions: Wagon153

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019

I understand how RoC works. I used the magnetostatic engines in my live world, but for testing I tried many different setups. In my tests I had jet engines, bedrock gearboxes, etc.. and even with huge "Power" (speed/torque) going into it, I didn't notice a difference. You said that you can make it faster with more "Power" (speed/torque) so I am going to try again when I start up again. Could have missed a step or it could have been a bug in that release on that day. Not a big deal. :p

(and it doesn't change that mekanism has better speeds/output with much less complexity.)

Last edited: