Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
for some reason cows wont spawn on my animal farm. everything else will. even horses.
If I had to guess, statistical anamoly. Make yourself some leather (there are 2 recipes, one is impleather from those harmless imps in the nether) and make some cow spawn eggs.

The Snipe

Jul 29, 2019
Has anybody used infusion crafting to get Greatwood? That recipe/spell looks very, very nasty. If there is any easier way I want to know it.
Make a mob farm, and have a tonne of heads. Haven't had any problems yet. (I'm using about a stack of heads :v )

Dagenhad

Jul 29, 2019
Took me forever to figure out that on the Home sweet Home map there is a chest with more dirt under the single block you are given

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
If I had to guess, statistical anamoly. Make yourself some leather (there are 2 recipes, one is impleather from those harmless imps in the nether) and make some cow spawn eggs.
Cows do not appear to spawn in all biomes. jungles tend to get chickens and ocelots constantly, while forests get's pigs and cows more often. that is why I said to go north towards the forest biome before making the grass.

ddejong

Jul 29, 2019
Cows do not appear to spawn in all biomes. jungles tend to get chickens and ocelots constantly, while forests get's pigs and cows more often. that is why I said to go north towards the forest biome before making the grass.
Specifically, they won't spawn in either desert or river biomes.

PyroManiak

Jul 29, 2019
the biome that i have my farms on is right between a plains and a magical forest

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
the biome that i have my farms on is right between a plains and a magical forest
plains explains why you get horses. dunno about magical forests, you get pechs there, so that means that the RNG has other prefered mobs to choose rather than cows. the normal forest seems to spawn only the old vanilla passives, so that is the best place for cows. the trick is to avoid having too big of a mob pool for the rng to choose from.[DOUBLEPOST=1397066959][/DOUBLEPOST]
Specifically, they won't spawn in either desert or river biomes.
true, and if there are other passive mobs that only spawn in a biome, that mob will tend to spawn a lot more often than anything else. jungle can be a pita in that sense. damn ocelots taking over my Island.

ddejong

Jul 29, 2019
- You don't have to wait for rain to fill up your barrels, even before you have buckets. Glass bottles can be be used to put water into a barrel, even though they can't normally create source blocks.
- Don't wast time crooking trees for saplings for too long. Once you have even the most rudimentary cobblegen, it's far faster to make shears and use leaves for composting. Every time I hear someone say "You can compost XXX!" for something other than leaves, I cringe. Once you start doing this, you'll want to set up some basic automation with item pipes moving items from a chest into the tops of barrels, then other item pipes pulling the dirt out when it's done. Otherwise you spend a lot of time babysitting them.
- The following have crafting recipes that you wouldn't expect: Cetus quartz, ender portal (the portal itself, not frames!), builder's wand, ender lilies, passive mob spawn eggs (beyond what is in the quests)
- Survivalist generators only take 1 iron and 2 redstone, so if you're trying to get a pulverizer running early, they're easier to make than dynamos. Of course you'd need 8 to power one at full speed.
- Autonomous activators can use hammers and put down blocks just as well as you can. Don't waste your time manually placing and breaking any longer than you must.
- Water source blocks and normal hoppers can collect output from sieves and hammering when you don't yet have enough ender pearls to use for vacuum hoppers. You'll probably need to use item pipes to extract items directly from the hopper. Get this running ASAP; the grind of the early game goes away once you have your mineral production even partially automated.
- Gendustry is borderline OP; its mutator gives you purebreds immediately, cutting the time to get to useful bees drastically. It can do the same for trees as well, though you must get forestry saplings, not vanilla (apple oak instead of oak).
- If you plan on doing the later questlines, design _everything_ with the intention of keeping lag low. Some of them need massive builds to complete within a reasonable timeframe. Keep sections distinct so that you can turn them on and off individually; with the abundance of platinum, you can make lots of tessaracts instead of trying to share them.
- One of the questlines involves making blue and green slime blocks. This will be a lot easier if you take the slimy sapling and blue slime bucket rewards.[DOUBLEPOST=1397068283][/DOUBLEPOST]
What are the co-ords for the Magical forest?

Both maps have one to the east of spawn.

Loki557

Jul 29, 2019
Question, what is the easiest way to get squids to spawn in naturally early on? I know you can make the eggs but would like some natural spawns if you can just not sure how much water is needed.

ddejong

Jul 29, 2019
Question, what is the easiest way to get squids to spawn in naturally early on? I know you can make the eggs but would like some natural spawns if you can just not sure how much water is needed.
Drop down to the 45-62 height range (rope ladder, pistons, or swimming in a waterfall), and at get least 28 blocks away from where you normally are. Even a 1 deep layer of water should be enough for them to spawn. The usual cause of people having problems with them is the height.

Loki557

Jul 29, 2019
Drop down to the 45-62 height range (rope ladder, pistons, or swimming in a waterfall), and at get least 28 blocks away from where you normally are. Even a 1 deep layer of water should be enough for them to spawn. The usual cause of people having problems with them is the height.
Thanks

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Here is the infusion crafting altar I used for greatwood sapling without any instability at all.
mUZ6TFj.jpg

Something I noticed today, using Apple Oak saplings with MFR if you set the harvester to 'shear leaves' you don't get leaf blocks, you get an ungodly amount of saplings. One single dirt block tree farm with apple oak produces enough saplings for itself and to feed one Bioreactor. It isn't top efficiency of course but just leave it in a corner somewhere and it'll produce enough Biofuel for the quest in a day or two. :p Last time I played MFR wouldn't do Forestry trees but thought it would be worth a shot to get more apples for the vinegar quest. Would also provide plenty of saplings for Ethanol production.

Last edited:

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019

Black wool can be pulverized into String with a chance of ink. Instead of spending a bunch of time crafting squid eggs or making a pool that they can spawn in, just spawn sheep. It only takes one ink to dye a sheep. The crafting recipe for a sheep egg is an egg surrounded by white wool.

Also, for stupidly early power: I'm talking about when you don't have much resources and can't get a bunch of dynamos. A piece of redstone, a potato, and a lead nugget makes a non-rechargable flux capacitor. Best part is, when it runs out of power, you get a baked potato.

Reactions: Pyure

Draigon

Jul 29, 2019
Putting a bucket of witch water in your squid pool is not a great idea. I knew this and did it anyway.

For the record, I managed to kill half the resulting swarm without dying, and the rest left the area fairly quickly.

AWDoBaun

Jul 29, 2019
Has anybody used infusion crafting to get Greatwood? That recipe/spell looks very, very nasty. If there is any easier way I want to know it.

My favorite way uses just normal TC4. Mob farm in a magic forest biome will generate pech, trading with them you can get greatwood and silverwood saplings.

Reactions: jokermatt999

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite way uses just normal TC4. Mob farm in a magic forest biome will generate pech, trading with them you can get greatwood and silverwood saplings.
any advice on what to use for trades? I'm a bit stingy when it comes to gold.