Thoughts on Biomes O plenty?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

kayla sharp

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm going to start another world and I'm so conflicted wether or not I should enable Biomes O plenty. On one hand I like the extra biomes but one the other i like to build my base around plains or extreme hills maybe next to a desert something like that and I'm not sure if all the extra biomes will maybe get in the way so i just want to know the thoughts of other players on this mod. Please and thank you :) oh yea and do you play with the hats mod?
Like pros and cons of Biomes o plenty

Last edited:

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I play with Hats. Hats is great fun with friends.

As for BoP I recommend enabling it. Makes finding a home more difficult, but everything looks nicer. What pack are you on?

Reactions: Padfoote

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Have you started a world yet? I just settle for flat and nearby. Remeber forests are easily cleared and building into a mountain is easy to make look nice.

(On an side note: If you haven't started your world yet, may I reccomend you move onto one of the 1.6 pack? The older ones are no longer supported and have less features than the newer ones? May I reccomend TPPI?)

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
I'm on the unleashed pack. What biomes should i put my base in>?

Depends on your taste and build style. Personally, I like the look of Crags and Jade Cliff, but that's just me.

If you want a quick look at each biome, try the FTB wiki page.

For a more detailed look (two screenshots and a minimap overview for each biome), take a look at this fantastic album. Fair warning, it's 255 images. LINK: http://imgur.com/a/oq22r

Also, because I'm a good writer like that, this is the reddit post where I found the album.

EDIT: Imgur links :(

Last edited:

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on your taste and build style. Personally, I like the look of Crags and Jade Cliff, but that's just me.

If you want a quick look at each biome, try the FTB wiki page.

For a more detailed look (two screenshots and a minimap overview for each biome), take a look at this fantastic album.Fair warning, it's 255 images. LINK: http://imgur.com/a/oq22r

Also, because I'm a good writer like that, this is the reddit post where I found the album.

EDIT: Imgur links :(
I'm fond of the Badlands. It looks nice, has lots of materials and becomes fun to navigate through, however I'd never live in one.

Reactions: RedBoss

kayla sharp

Jul 29, 2019
Have you started a world yet? I just settle for flat and nearby. Remeber forests are easily cleared and building into a mountain is easy to make look nice.

(On an side note: If you haven't started your world yet, may I reccomend you move onto one of the 1.6 pack? The older ones are no longer supported and have less features than the newer ones? May I reccomend TPPI?)
No i haven't created my world yet so what is TPPI?
and @Shazam08 thank you i will defiantly look through those pictures :) uff I really like the look of the garden and the lush swamp and orchard and origin valley wow, but I'm worried that the biomes will be too small to create a base or well idk. thanks for all the help, any other thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated

Tangpau

Jul 29, 2019
I am restarting my server now about to run a custom set-up using FTB Monster. I have been running a Magic World 2 server with BoP enabled and decided this time around not to use it. It does add a lot of cool biomes but it made building and exploring cool and more difficult at the same time.

It was almost overwhelming and makes some of the vanilla kind of biomes more rare, which bothered me.

With all that said it is a matter of personal preference. I have also thought about using ExtraBiomes too, which I have heard of is very good too.

kayla sharp

Jul 29, 2019
@Tangpau aw yes exactly why i was thinking about not using it, i like the vanilla biomes too and don't like how they're rare. exactly!!

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
No i haven't created my world yet so what is TPPI?
and @Shazam08 thank you i will defiantly look through those pictures :) uff I really like the look of the garden and the lush swamp and orchard and origin valley wow, but I'm worried that the biomes will be too small to create a base or well idk. thanks for all the help, any other thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated

TPPI is a beta pack created by the Reddit community. You can access it by typing in "MegaSharkPunch" in Private Pack Codes. It's a really tight gameplay experience, like Ultimate was.

Edit: Dammit, ninja'd.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
TPPI (Test Pack Please Ignore) is the Reddit pack. Pretty similar to Ultimate in execution. Pretty much "Yeah, we got a mod for that." Use the code "MegaSharkPunch" (without quotes) to access it.

subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/TestPackPleaseIgnore/
Actually TPPI is meant to be a more balanced port of ultimate, it has all the ultimate mods and then some, and is well balanced. It contains gregtech, but it is like it was in 1.4 where it changed some recipes, but was not crazy. It also has custom oregen that buffs manual mining so that you can target specific ores at specific layers

Reactions: RealSketch

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Actually TPPI is meant to be a more balanced port of ultimate, it has all the ultimate mods and then some, and is well balanced. It contains gregtech, but it is like it was in 1.4 where it changed some recipes, but was not crazy. It also has custom oregen that buffs manual mining so that you can target specific ores at specific layers

Basically Ultimate with restraints that tighten gameplay without limiting features or increasing difficulty.

kayla sharp

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm just really into unleashed so I'm going to stick with that for now but thank you so much for the information <3 i think I'm gonna make worlds in Biomes O plenty until I find a nice spot not toooo far from my spawn in order to build a base. Uff I could literally talk about this for hours and hours so thanks for letting me indulge :)

ex13

Jul 29, 2019
Back to Biomes'o'plenty: I basically had the same issues. While BoP worlds look nice, they are often painful if you need certain biomes (for bees for example, or biome-specific materials). What I did was the following: I enabled BoP, but disabled all biomes except the 5 ones i liked best (and that are sufficiently different from each other and the vanilla biomes) - I don't know anymore which ones exactly, but I definitely had hot springs. That way, the normal vanilla biomes were still quite common. Additionally, I decreased the biome size a little bit, but I guess not everyone would like this.

Anyway, I'm really happy with my world: It looks really nice and is absolutely fun to explore, but I still have access to all biomes not too far from my base. Hats: no, don't like them.

Reactions: Staxed and AlanEsh

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I do the same thing as ex13 states above except I enable more than 5 of them. I've probably got about half of the BoP biomes disabled (maybe more, didn't really count).

While it still makes other default biomes rare...it's not as bad as having ALL of them enabled.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of the BoP biomes are near repeats, so I tend to destroy all of those. One or two forests are good enough for me, thank you very much.

For Hats. I tend to disable it mainly because it takes so much memory and I'm anathemic to wasteful memory.

Pein

Jul 29, 2019
You can actually pick and chose what biomes you want in the config files under BoP. There are 80 biomes to chose from so look through some pics and pick which ones you want

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Valve already made the best hat simulator, they just call it Team Fortress 2 for some unknown reason (Spy sappin' muh sentry!). I have no need for two hat simulator games, so hat mod is def off in FTB.

BoP is always on and always maxxed out. But I enjoy the fact that a vanilla biome might be rather rare and I might have to struggle and scrounge to find cocoa beans or something. I also enjoy the fact that BoP adds things like a biome o'plenty of enderpearls (Sinister Woods I think?).

The only thing I think I would turn off (and I don't know how) is those darn silly and WAY too numerous volcanoes that pop up a full 5 seconds after I fly by one in a modular powersuit on the server I play on... sheesh.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Valve already made the best hat simulator, they just call it Team Fortress 2 for some unknown reason (Spy sappin' muh sentry!). I have no need for two hat simulator games, so hat mod is def off in FTB.

BoP is always on and always maxxed out. But I enjoy the fact that a vanilla biome might be rather rare and I might have to struggle and scrounge to find cocoa beans or something. I also enjoy the fact that BoP adds things like a biome o'plenty of enderpearls (Sinister Woods I think?).

The only thing I think I would turn off (and I don't know how) is those darn silly and WAY too numerous volcanoes that pop up a full 5 seconds after I fly by one in a modular powersuit on the server I play on... sheesh.
Pretty sure that those are from Project Red.

Reactions: Padfoote