Spambots

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen alot of spambots popping up lately, so I was thinking of a way to get rid of them, or lower the chance of them popping up.
perhaps make new users unable to create new topics for the first few days? or make it not possible for them to post links for the first few days?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Also it wouldn't surprise me that there are a lot of people that make an account to just get help for a problem they got, like a corrupt world. Making them unable to make a new topic would result in them not been able to ask for help or a lot of necro-posting. Also limiting them to not being able to post links will make them not able to post the crash-log from pastebin and may result in walls of text.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
When I last did admin for a wiki, I used an add-on that whitelisted domains for links. No links could be posted that were not to domains on the whitelist, the edit would simply fail. I don't know what tools exist for the forum, but maybe there is a way to limit new users to whitelisted domains only, but allow more seasoned members to bypass the whitelist. We've got this ranking system, seems to me that this would be a useful tool to go with it.

Reactions: Nerixel

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
When I last did admin for a wiki, I used an add-on that whitelisted domains for links. No links could be posted that were not to domains on the whitelist, the edit would simply fail. I don't know what tools exist for the forum, but maybe there is a way to limit new users to whitelisted domains only, but allow more seasoned members to bypass the whitelist. We've got this ranking system, seems to me that this would be a useful tool to go with it.

that would be a really perfect solution for the problem.

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
after switching to questycaptcha we haven't got a single piece of spam \o/

but i think i'll whitelist domains too when we allow anon edits

Reactions: SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
allow anon edits
7jPqL.png

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
I've just implemented some things to try and stop spam accounts such as ReCaptcha on registration vs the simple question we previously asked. We now check IP's against a DNSBL database and refuse registration if an issue is detected and finally we are now check project honey pot HTTP blacklists before allowing a user to register

Reactions: Yusunoha

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
I've just implemented some things to try and stop spam accounts such as ReCaptcha on registration vs the simple question we previously asked. We now check IP's against a DNSBL database and refuse registration if an issue is detected and finally we are now check project honey pot HTTP blacklists before allowing a user to register
all those stuffz, too bad i'm too lazy to implement them on the wiki
Kappa.png

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I'll let you take credit if you get me another 100 questions.
Kappa.png
But I already did the first 15 or whatever :(

Also, why are you telling people I study law in your description? Damnit man, law is boring enough to me, no need to annoy other people with him :p

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I tried using the "report" function, but you have to wait 30 seconds between each report. With the amount of threads being created, I'm not going to do that. Sorry, but I can't help if the tool stops me from using it.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I tried using the "report" function, but you have to wait 30 seconds between each report. With the amount of threads being created, I'm not going to do that. Sorry, but I can't help if the tool stops me from using it.

Don't worry. Just report one thread per "user" I'll ban them and go through and delete every thread they made. Just deleted 72 from the last 3 bots.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
They really love these forums these days. Almost wondering if we've been targeted by anon or something.
It's getting on my nerves. I'd almost ask if you guys are looking for moderators to help deal with this crap. Except then I might end up having to actually use the FTB Launcher for more then 3 modpacks, one of which is semi-private.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
They really love these forums these days. Almost wondering if we've been targeted by anon or something.
It's getting on my nerves. I'd almost ask if you guys are looking for moderators to help deal with this crap. Except then I might end up having to actually use the FTB Launcher for more then 3 modpacks, one of which is semi-private.

maybe it's just that once in a while moment that all spambots seem to rise from their graves.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I still don't like it.

...and who am I kidding? I'd love to be an admin here. Get rid of spammers left and right, help solve issues with a slightly larger amount of clout with my advice, get to have moderator text... What more could I want to do around here?

As a side benefit, apparently Admins get to have a custom title, which is all kinds of cool.

Reactions: SatanicSanta