User Moderation of Threads

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking of a way that moderators could give normal users the ability to moderate their own thread, or a specific thread.

Before anyone says, "Oh no, people could censor other people's opinions!", this would be completely at moderator discretion, so any threads that moderators thought could potentially be subject to this kind of censorship, the moderator could just deny the request by the user to self-moderate it. It wouldn't be automatic. I was thinking mainly just hiding posts and blocking specific users entering that thread (of course, with moderators over-riding that block :p), any other powers like warnings, temp/perm-bans etc. would be too powerful. Thread-specific powers only, please.

The use of this would mainly be in forum games, where there are copious posts that undoubtedly take up moderator time and have little real value, when a person who's in the thread regularly could just handle it. For instance, the GIF conversation thread that was just created might have a rule against any non-GIF posts that Yusunoha could enforce by hiding non-GIF posts. I'd find it extremely risky to give this ability to anyone on a serious thread.

Then, there could be a review system in that if a person feels their post was hidden unfairly or they were banned unfairly, they could appeal to a moderator's judgement as to whether they'd broken one of the thread's rules. I feel that moderators reviewing these appeals would likely be less work than reading through all the posts in Forum Games and Off-topic in general.

There would be a requirement for the people given the power to do this that they maintain some kind of rule list in an easy to find and obvious place, and things like that they have to give at least one warning before banning someone from the thread, to give them a chance to read the rules. Perhaps the rules for a thread could be put in a special section that appears above the actual OP, and when they're modified the new rules must be verified by a moderator to ensure they aren't breaking any rules?

Anyway, welcome to my mind and one of its ideas. Enjoy your stay.

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking of a way that moderators could give normal users the ability to moderate their own thread, or a specific thread.

Before anyone says, "Oh no, people could censor other people's opinions!", this would be completely at moderator discretion, so any threads that moderators thought could potentially be subject to this kind of censorship, the moderator could just deny the request by the user to self-moderate it. It wouldn't be automatic. I was thinking mainly just hiding posts and blocking specific users entering that thread (of course, with moderators over-riding that block :p), any other powers like warnings, temp/perm-bans etc. would be too powerful. Thread-specific powers only, please.

The use of this would mainly be in forum games, where there are copious posts that undoubtedly take up moderator time and have little real value, when a person who's in the thread regularly could just handle it. For instance, the GIF conversation thread that was just created might have a rule against any non-GIF posts that Yusunoha could enforce by hiding non-GIF posts. I'd find it extremely risky to give this ability to anyone on a serious thread.

Then, there could be a review system in that if a person feels their post was hidden unfairly or they were banned unfairly, they could appeal to a moderator's judgement as to whether they'd broken one of the thread's rules. I feel that moderators reviewing these appeals would likely be less work than reading through all the posts in Forum Games and Off-topic in general.

There would be a requirement for the people given the power to do this that they maintain some kind of rule list in an easy to find and obvious place, and things like that they have to give at least one warning before banning someone from the thread, to give them a chance to read the rules. Perhaps the rules for a thread could be put in a special section that appears above the actual OP, and when they're modified the new rules must be verified by a moderator to ensure they aren't breaking any rules?

Anyway, welcome to the beginning of my mind and its ideas. Enjoy your stay.

t9W2bQa.gif

this would be a good idea to add. I'm thinking this could be quite helpful for things like guides, where the creator could hide certain posts that just don't contribute anything to the guide/topic. or that the creator can add in more posts at the start of the topic to add onto the guide, so they don't need to spam about 5-10 placeholder posts for the chance that they might need to add more information to the guide.
it'd also be nice if a creator of a topic was given this option, where they'd be allowed to add more texts or more images instead of the default that an user is given, again for the situation that the creator is adding alot of content to a guide, but is constantly limited by posting restrictions.

Reactions: Padfoote

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
or that the creator can add in more posts at the start of the topic to add onto the guide, so they don't need to spam about 5-10 placeholder posts for the chance that they might need to add more information to the guide.
That's something I've wanted for so long, a way to add placeholder posts after other people have posted. It should be possible on all forums by default, really.

I get the feeling this gif thing is going to get pretty common between us, isn't it? :p

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
You could only allow this power for people of 'well known' membership or higher- chances are some of us kinda know what is and isn't ok?
Being able to block certain users from replying is probably going a bit too far.​

Even just a few tick boxes to allow/disallow certain things in the reply. (various BBCodes/links/embedded video ect)
-actually something like that probably wouldn't be too hard to implement, and would work out ok for new guys.

(matching my personal tastes- I'll like to turn off the 'like' button on threads I make)

--Edit--

Something to automatically put images/videos into spoiler tags
(and long walls of text- why are some users hell bent on writing war and peace in every topic?)​

Reactions: Nerixel

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't what you described a report button which we already have..?
I wasn't aware you were able to report for thread-specific rules, isn't it you can only report for forum-wide rules?

Plus, report buttons take time to have action taken. Not that much time, I'll admit, but still time.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Global mods discussed this quite some time ago.

No user is allowed to make thread specific rules. The only rules that apply are the ones posted as forum rules. Thread authors can request people keep to a specific style for things like rpg threads but they are not allowed to have thread specific rules. And asking us to enforce those "requests" will result in the report being ignored. Almost every time a thread author attempts to make thread specific rules its because they want to squash dissenting opinions.

If a forum rule is broken feel free to report it and the moderation staff will handle it. But we will not be allowing users to set thread specific rules and enforce them.