Advice needed...Recommend a keyboard and mouse.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
I need a new Keyboard and mouse.
Are you using something that you would recommend ?

Firstly, The keyboard needs to be mechanical and have a full layout. ie: numberpad etc.
The mouse needs to have at least x2 extra buttons on the left side. That's about it as far as what I need.
I don't play First person shooters that much so the mouse doesn't need to be high spec.
For both items I'm looking for build quality and functionality. Also bang for buck. If you recommend something hugely expensive it's ok, but it needs to be worth the money.

Just for reference I have at the moment a razor copperhead mouse (that's lasted for over 5 years)
and a G15 keyboard I was given.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Also: Does anyone know the pro's and cons of laser vs optical when it comes to a mouse.

Last edited:

AaronLovell42

Jul 29, 2019
For the keyboard, I would recommend a Logitech G510s. It's mechanical, backlit, and has the numpad. It's very well built as far as I can tell, I've had it for around 4 months. As for the mouse, I still haven't found one I'm in love with yet.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
For the keyboard, I would recommend a Logitech G510s. It's mechanical, backlit, and has the numpad. It's very well built as far as I can tell, I've had it for around 4 months. As for the mouse, I still haven't found one I'm in love with yet.
This. I have one of these and it's great.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

wait wait wait wait wait wait wait, is the G510s a mechanical keyboard? I didn't know that... and I have one :eek:
I must say I do like the keyboard, but it got alot of getting used to the extra macro keys... I never use or have used them, so they were in the way alot in the beginning.
it's getting better now, but from time to time it still happens that I'm pushing the wrong keys for a while... yjrm O dysty yu[omh ;olr yjod/

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
For a keyboard, anything mechanical with "cherry" keys is a good buy.
There are many types of cherry switches. I recommend OP research the different types and find one that suits his needs.

I need a new Keyboard and mouse.
If you are using the keyboard for gaming, you might want a Cherry MX Red keyboard. Red doesn't have tactile feedback though. If you want that, you should get a Brown. I recommend reading this for more information.

For a mouse, I recommend the Razer Deathadder 2013 Edition. It's a solid mouse: 6400 DPI, optical, rubber grips, macro buttons. It has two macro buttons on the left side, as you requested. If you need tons of macro buttons for something like WoW, you might want something like the Naga instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Molten

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
There are many types of cherry switches. I recommend OP research the different types and find one that suits his needs.

-snip-
Very true; I was leaving work but wanted to throw out a quick message.

And solid advice. There's a number of cherry switches, each with different levels of feedback, both tactile and auditory (or lack thereof). However, they're all of very solid quality. It's just finding the ones that suit your taste. If you have a place like Fry's or some other electronics store that potentially has mechanical keyboards in stock, it's worth giving them a visit to try out different keyboards with cherry switches.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Thx for the input guys.
Iv'e been doing some research as well during the week gone.

Mouse: Iv'e decided on the Razer Deathadder 2013 edition. As pointed out it has what I need. As a bonus it's optical which means I can use it on my glass top desk as well. And apart from some ergonomic design it's very much like my old Razer copperhead that stood me so well for over 5 years gaming ;)

Keyboard: With my own research and advice that Iv'e taken from this thread Iv'e narrowed it down to either the Corsair vengence K95

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-008-CS&groupid=702&catid=2705&subcat=1258

Or the Qpad MK-85

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-004-QP&groupid=702&catid=2705&subcat=1258

I have to say I'm leaning towards the corsair keyboard at the moment. Iv'e never been disapointed with corsair build quality when it came to PSU's, closed circuit liquid cooling or even memory.
They seem a solid company with a decent after sales service too.

Thx again for the input. It's odd that iv'e spent longer on these two items than I spent building my entire PC :)

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Thx for the input guys.

Mouse: Iv'e decided on the Razer Deathadder 2013 edition. As pointed out it has what I need. As a bonus it's optical which means I can use it on my glass top desk as well. And apart from some ergonomic design it's very much like my old Razer copperhead that stood me so well for over 5 years gaming ;)

Keyboard: With my own research and advice that Iv'e taken from this thread Iv'e narrowed it down to either the Corsair vengence K95

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-008-CS&groupid=702&catid=2705&subcat=1258

Or the Qpad MK-85

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-004-QP&groupid=702&catid=2705&subcat=1258

I have to say I'm leaning towards the corsair keyboard at the moment. Iv'e never been disapointed with corsair build quality when it came to PSU's, closed circuit liquid cooling or even memory.

Thx again for the input. It's odd that iv'e spent longer on these two items than I spent building my entire PC :)
Glad I could help with the mouse. I have one now, and it's great. It has software to adjust the DPI and mouse acceleration, too.

The Blue makes a lot of noise when you type. Are you okay with that?

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
The Blue makes a lot of noise when you type. Are you okay with that?

Whatever make I go for, I will be going with red switches.
I do on ocassion type quite a bit but I think I will get used to the more sensitive keys. I may also buy an O'ring pack that deadens noise. These O'ring packs seem to have favourable reviews from users from what I can tell. And they are fairly cheap anyway, so worth a try as any mechanical keyboard is gonna seem loud from what I'm used to I guess.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Whatever make I go for, I will be going with red switches.
I do on ocassion type quite a bit but I think I will get used to the more sensitive keys. I may also buy an O'ring pack that deadens noise. These O'ring packs seem to have favourable reviews from users from what I can tell. And they are fairly cheap anyway, so worth a try as any mechanical keyboard is gonna seem loud from what I'm used to I guess.
Your second link is a Blue.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Thx for the input guys.

Or the Qpad MK-85

Sorry for the minor necro but I have to agree on the Corsair K95. I preordered mine and it's a great keyboard. I just wish I had waited a month... Then I would have gotten the red textured and backlit gaming keycap set (W,A,S,D, and other standard keys) with the gaming wristpad for free.

On the other hand, I'm hearing rumors of a new Corsair coming with R-G-B leds that are programmable for color on a key by key basis...

SuperSplit

Jul 29, 2019
I have a keyboard and mouse that would knock all of these out of the ballpark. They may be out of your price range but they are worth a look. I have the razer blackwidow mechanical keyboard which costed if I remember correctly 250 dollars and the razer mamba mouse which costed about 150 dollars. The blackwidow is loud and clicks but it feels very nice and let's you type really fast very easily. It also has 5 macros on the left hand side which can be used for many things. The razer mamba is wireless and has a configurable dpi (dots per inch) which is basically how fast you need to move your mouse across the screen. The mouse is also ergonomic so it feels really nice to the touch and it has the two side buttons on the left like you asked for. I currently use one of the side buttons as crouch whenever I'm playing. Both of these also come with a program called razer synapse 2.0 which add macros, change the lighting, and basically highly customize your stuff.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk