Silly mod, Abstract Power Generation!

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
I would like a power generator that is based on hooking a cow up to a methane pump. Different food sources produce different amounts of power. Tie it in with a food mod for more fun!

Spaceshipable

Jul 29, 2019
I liked the idea of the glare generator. Seems far less OP to me (only about as much as the clockwork engine). You could give it a little face who's cheeks get redder as the generator powers up (it gets embarrassed about you staring).

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
How about generating power from real life power?

Find out the client's CPU type, look up its power consumption and speed in some database, have it do a proof-of-work that should take a certain amount of time, and multiply the two together. :p

Of course, a cheating client could claim to have a very power-hungry CPU...

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Idea: (probably needs a new name)
The Quantum generator: Every time you look at the generator, it changes the amount of power it outputs to a random number within a certain range.
I second the motion
Except you don't know how much it produces

zegoldfish328

Jul 29, 2019
Generate power when you punch nearby animals...
Generate power when block is within explosion range...

This made me think of a piezoelectric generator. It generates power when mechanical stress is applied. Amount of power generated is dependent on the amount of mechanical stress applied. It has an internal buffer and it's output is capped at say 20 RF/t (or scaled number of power of your choice). Punching it creates 40 RF so you can build up the internal buffer by continuously punching it for a bit. A nice little early game engine (somewhat akin to the Forestry clockwork engine). I think it should not respond to an autonomous activator for balance reasons. One generator isn't much power but with enough piezoelectric generators and enough autonomous activators you could have quite a bit of free energy.

It could also generate power by jumping on it. Think a floor made of piezoelectric generators at the bottom of a mob drop trap.

Walking on it would also generate power. Line up a few and sprint over it for more power. Now your mob drop trap from above generates power not only when mobs fall onto it but also while they walk around before they are killed.

When you start exploding TNT near-by you're really talking some power. However, too close and you risk destroying the generator. Too far and the amount of power generated falls off. This could lead some interesting system in which you create a TNT dropper timed so that the TNT explodes at the optimal distance! I would think some variant of block placer and adjacent redstone torch would work. Maybe.

Perhaps there could be difference tiers of piezoelectric generators depending on the material used. Since we're talking MC here and not real life the tier should be based on the rarity of the material rather than the piezoelectric potential in real-life.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
This made me think of a piezoelectric generator. It generates power when mechanical stress is applied. Amount of power generated is dependent on the amount of mechanical stress applied. It has an internal buffer and it's output is capped at say 20 RF/t (or scaled number of power of your choice). Punching it creates 40 RF so you can build up the internal buffer by continuously punching it for a bit. A nice little early game engine (somewhat akin to the Forestry clockwork engine). I think it should not respond to an autonomous activator for balance reasons. One generator isn't much power but with enough piezoelectric generators and enough autonomous activators you could have quite a bit of free energy.

It could also generate power by jumping on it. Think a floor made of piezoelectric generators at the bottom of a mob drop trap.

Walking on it would also generate power. Line up a few and sprint over it for more power. Now your mob drop trap from above generates power not only when mobs fall onto it but also while they walk around before they are killed.

When you start exploding TNT near-by you're really talking some power. However, too close and you risk destroying the generator. Too far and the amount of power generated falls off. This could lead some interesting system in which you create a TNT dropper timed so that the TNT explodes at the optimal distance! I would think some variant of block placer and adjacent redstone torch would work. Maybe.

Perhaps there could be difference tiers of piezoelectric generators depending on the material used. Since we're talking MC here and not real life the tier should be based on the rarity of the material rather than the piezoelectric potential in real-life.

The first thought I had was it scales with the amount of damage you do to it, I.e. using a sword is much better than your fist.

Reactions: zegoldfish328

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
What about a machine that uses power to generate power? Put in a charged battery and some conductive dust (any metal except gold or copper) and BOOM! Even moar power!

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
What about a machine that uses power to generate power? Put in a charged battery and some conductive dust (any metal except gold or copper) and BOOM! Even moar power!
Like using energy as a catalyst