Most Durable Tinkers Construct Pickaxe??

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

sporemasterjw

Jul 29, 2019
I have been using an all slime pickaxe with veinminer to mine mass amounts of stone and find ores, do you know what the most durable pickaxe is? The slime one gets expensive to repair cause it uses slime crystals and I dont find many green slimes. Thanks in advance.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Most durable? The unbreakable one of course!

Obsidian head, paper binding, paper rod. "Gold block + diamond" and nether star upgrades to raise it to 7 upgrade slots. 7x obsidian plates. It's not the fastest pick, but it has 100% chance to not take durability loss, therefore it's unbreakable.

Have fun!

Reactions: PierceSG

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
I made my pick with Madellum (sp?) head, obsidian binding, and blue slime rod. Then slapped a Flux Capacitor on it so that it now has infinite durability as long as I have access to power.

For the slime, I think that the slime islands are part of Tinkers Construct, so get up to one of them and grab the saplings, while you're there, mine out the blue slime blocks as well. From any slime tree, you get 6-8 green slime blocks (four slime balls each) and a couple of blue slime balls from the leaves.

I have several stacks of both blue and slime balls, and I've only killed a handful of slimes.

sporemasterjw

Jul 29, 2019
MrCervelo, I cannot use EU to power this pick because when I veinmine it uses EU, and it drains all my armor and other tools of EU if I use the veinminer.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Pity we can't infuse a Thaumium TiC tool with repair, eh? That's be my first choice, a unbreakable tool, assuming you don't push it too far.

Reactions: Padfoote

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Pity we can't infuse a Thaumium TiC tool with repair, eh? That's be my first choice, a unbreakable tool, assuming you don't push it too far.
TiC does have a Repair modifier. I tend to use it on my hammers because the Flux capacitor upgrade only lasts about 10- 15 minutes or so when I am branch mining, which, considering I have enough inventory space on me to go for 4 times as long just sucks. 'Specially since it takes so long to charge back up (no, seriously, why do Flux powered tools only charge at 75 RF/t?)

I get rather insane durability I can get with a mostly Cobalt/Thaumium head and plates, Cobalt/Ardite alloy handle. Two modifiers on Repair, two on speed, and add in an extra for an Obsidian plate. Lasts for a couple of hours of mining, and I can just drop it in my inventory and forget about it while I do stuff with everything I collected.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
The maximum you can get is obviously Manyullyn handle/head, whatever binding (maybe obsidian for the bonus), with a diamond modifier and THEN an emerald (in this order). Something something%. Then just fill the rest of the modifiers with obsidian plates.
I think there's an Extra TiC material that has more durability and a higher handle modifier than Manyullullullu as well.

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
I find the best pick in terms of durability has:
  • Manyullyn head
  • Obsidian binding.
  • Thaumium handle (if possible, otherwise blue slime (green slime in minecraft 1.5.x)). The loss against slime is counteracted by allowing 1 more modifier which can be used on obsidian plates, making the result better than slime (unless my reasoning/understanding is off), and it buffs repair as well (the durability doesn't change as much, meaning less to repair)
  • Moss, for repair.
  • A few obsidian plates to further increase the unbreaking.
I would sacrifise an unbreaking for fortune.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
TiC does have a Repair modifier. I tend to use it on my hammers because the Flux capacitor upgrade only lasts about 10- 15 minutes or so when I am branch mining, which, considering I have enough inventory space on me to go for 4 times as long just sucks. 'Specially since it takes so long to charge back up (no, seriously, why do Flux powered tools only charge at 75 RF/t?)

I get rather insane durability I can get with a mostly Cobalt/Thaumium head and plates, Cobalt/Ardite alloy handle. Two modifiers on Repair, two on speed, and add in an extra for an Obsidian plate. Lasts for a couple of hours of mining, and I can just drop it in my inventory and forget about it while I do stuff with everything I collected.
FYI, the flux capacitors have the ability to recharge tools in your inventory. However, it's not quite as useful as it could be, mainly because it has the same "put down, pick back up" thing on repair that repairing tools have, which means that, to dig a long tunnel, it takes longer, as each time it repairs from the last section, it resets the block-breaking action.

Kahless61

Jul 29, 2019
The maximum you can get is obviously Manyullyn handle/head, whatever binding (maybe obsidian for the bonus), with a diamond modifier and THEN an emerald (in this order). Something something%. Then just fill the rest of the modifiers with obsidian plates.
I think there's an Extra TiC material that has more durability and a higher handle modifier than Manyullullullu as well.
Actually I think they fixed the Diamond-Emerald ordering, so now they both only modify the base durability, meaning that the order you apply them no longer matters, it always works as if you applied the emerald first.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I go with mainly speed over durability, and bring a backup if I need more durability. My go-to is:
  • cobalt head
  • obsidian binding (pickaxe) or plates (hammer)
  • manyullen handle
On it, I put:
  • mossy (repair)
  • silk touch or fortune (lapis)
  • double redstone (after gold block + diamond)
Use paper and and thaumium for binding and handle if you want more modifiers for durability or speed.

NotEnoughCoffee

Jul 29, 2019
the extra TiC metal is Tartarite (sp?), it has a handle modifier of 2'75 I think and the highest durability.

As said above, just slap moss, an obsidian part (or a plate as a modifier) and anything made of steel or above will last for an eternity.

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
the extra TiC metal is Tartarite (sp?), it has a handle modifier of 2'75 I think and the highest durability.

As said above, just slap moss, an obsidian part (or a plate as a modifier) and anything made of steel or above will last for an eternity.

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk

Ah....that sent me on a Google chase that resulted in me learning the Metallurgy metals work in TiCo. Sweet !

That, and Metallurgy will be using bees and will have tons of them.

I'm using Metallurgy my next world for sure ;-)

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Ah....that sent me on a Google chase that resulted in me learning the Metallurgy metals work in TiCo. Sweet !

That, and Metallurgy will be using bees and will have tons of them.

I'm using Metallurgy my next world for sure ;-)
Hopefully Metallurgy will rebalance some of the metals and alloys soon. There are some strictly and obviously best choices that render almost everything else useless. Almost from the moment you get your smeltery, Damascus Steel is available, and makes a very solid choice for a long time, getting you from an iron-equivalent all the way into the nether for your first cobalt. Making advanced tools out of DSteel early on is a similarly great choice. From there, you'll move to kelendrite and will probably be able to stick to vulcanite for a very long time (unless you come across a lot of sanguinite, but I'd save that for a hammer). Eventually you'll make the jump to tartarite.

Aside from armor, there's very little to no advantage I'VE found to taking any other route. The ores, at least using the global configs, are located in about that order of difficulty to find, and since it only takes 1 ingot to make a very passible pickaxe, you can jump through the tech tree very quickly.

Everything else is just taking up space right now. IMO, the various steels need significant rebalancing (even though that probably means that DSteel would be nerfed), and every metal needs some kind of modifier to make the decisions of what and how to make your tools more interesting.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Use Ardite as the head obsidian as the handle and paper as the binding. Upgrade it with the diamond/gold block and the nether upgrade. Put moss on it and 1 level of lapis on it then fill the rest with obsidian upgrades. It will have fortune, auto repair, be reinforced out the wazzue, and when it gets low speed up the mining with Stonebound 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
I go with mainly speed over durability, and bring a backup if I need more durability. My go-to is:
  • cobalt head
  • obsidian binding (pickaxe) or plates (hammer)
  • manyullen handle

With the "simple" tools, the binding doesn't add anything other than the special abilities it has. So an obsidian binding on a pickaxe is great. But with a tough binding, both its handle modifier and innate durability are a factor in the total durability of the tool.
And obsidian plates make up a large factor in the base durability of the hammer.

The idea is that you must make an optimal compromise between the total durability and its other abilities.
In the case of a hammer I'd say, if you decide to go with obsidian plate, then use only one, and make the other plate from something else. Also, Cobalt already has reinforced 2 and mining level cobalt, so if you use that, I'm not sure if that extra bit of reinforced from an obsidian plate is worth it.

with a diamond modifier and THEN an emerald (in this order).

In addition to what Kahless61 said, there is little reason to use both diamond AND emerald. If the tools base durability is larger than 1000, use emeralds, if it is lower than 1000, use diamonds. The exception being if you want to increase the mining level, but that is only really an issue for stone tools.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Hopefully Metallurgy will rebalance some of the metals and alloys soon. There are some strictly and obviously best choices that render almost everything else useless. Almost from the moment you get your smeltery, Damascus Steel is available, and makes a very solid choice for a long time, getting you from an iron-equivalent all the way into the nether for your first cobalt. Making advanced tools out of DSteel early on is a similarly great choice. From there, you'll move to kelendrite and will probably be able to stick to vulcanite for a very long time (unless you come across a lot of sanguinite, but I'd save that for a hammer). Eventually you'll make the jump to tartarite.

Aside from armor, there's very little to no advantage I'VE found to taking any other route. The ores, at least using the global configs, are located in about that order of difficulty to find, and since it only takes 1 ingot to make a very passible pickaxe, you can jump through the tech tree very quickly.

Everything else is just taking up space right now. IMO, the various steels need significant rebalancing (even though that probably means that DSteel would be nerfed), and every metal needs some kind of modifier to make the decisions of what and how to make your tools more interesting.
The devs stared a few months ago that the next full update will pair down the metals extensively. As it stands even with ExtraTiCo I go directly from steel to tartarite/platinum tools. Most of the other metals I process, turn into buckets then reprocess into iron.

Even without the TiCo compatibility, you'll never use the majority of metals. But the upside is the utter delight of extremely powerful toys!