Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a particular reason that the Spatial aspects of AE are disabled in the universal configs? I'm excited to play with them, but would rather not corrupt this world. Further, how the heck do you ever store enough AE energy to use the largest options on spatial storage?

Also, is it possible to just copy the player and what they are carrying over to a new world?

EDIT: Nevermind. Forgot my Starcraft training. Constructed additional pylons.

how do you even use the spatial storage stuff?

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
how do you even use the spatial storage stuff?

There is a decent youtube video that explains the gist.

In short, enable Spatial in the config (disabled by default in FTB), border the area with Spatial Pylons all connected to your network, attach a Spatial IO to your network, toss in a Spatial Storage of the appropriate size, and attach enough Energy Cells to power it. Then apply redstone to the Spatial IO.

The biggest issue I'm running into is that most mod items are not supported. Each mod has to implement the AE API for their blocks to be effected by the storage. However, mod blocks stored in vanilla chests do just fine.

Last edited:

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
^Why would Twilight Forest be more hard on the system? Just curious...
Very large trees (and odd shaped) all over the place, leads to a lot more leaf decay calculations not as much an issue now but some systems will still struggle with it.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Very large trees (and odd shaped) all over the place, leads to a lot more leaf decay calculations not as much an issue now but some systems will still struggle with it.
There's also the matter of tons of extra lighting/particle effects in TF. Little balls of light are always drifting about.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Kahless61

Jul 29, 2019
There's also the matter of tons of extra lighting/particle effects in TF. Little balls of light are always drifting about.
I don't believe those emit actual light on the scenery, they just appear lit like spider and enderman eyes.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
So, I figured out why the AE Spatial stuff is disabled. I was attempting to store a 27*27*9 area. I couldn't get the efficiency to 100%, and I fully saturate the ring with pylons. This left the power costs at 1423Mae. An energy cell only holds 200Kae. I would have needed over seven thousand energy cells to store a space of 6,561 blocks that were mostly air.

On the other hand, works great for my other project. I can store a 15x15x15 space in the mid-tier storage cell for not much, then pick everything up and take it with me to the next place, with the power in 25 cells. Once I find my new home I can deploy it much faster than I could rebuild it in creative mode.

There are dangers.

When I was first experimenting with this I decided to launch a space probe into the ME system. So, ExtraUtils redstone clock, a chunkloader, and a wireless transmitter. If the receiver still beeps from the other side the probe will be successful.

Hit the button aaand... the world literally deleted itself. The creative testing world stopped existing, forever.

Further testing showed that wireless redstone and chunkloaders and many other things with tile entities fail to make the jump to ME space at all. The clock was what led to the world self-deletion.

Send only blocks and entities. Never send anything complex. If you send yourself into ME space but manage to escape the transparent box using enderpearls, you get a free unique void age that is still accessible via linking book even if the original spatial storage disk is lost or destroyed. Building there is safe. It also snows in ME space, although the complete lack of terrain and sky is inconvenient.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
There are dangers.

When I was first experimenting with this I decided to launch a space probe into the ME system. So, ExtraUtils redstone clock, a chunkloader, and a wireless transmitter. If the receiver still beeps from the other side the probe will be successful.

Hit the button aaand... the world literally deleted itself. The creative testing world stopped existing, forever.

Further testing showed that wireless redstone and chunkloaders and many other things with tile entities fail to make the jump to ME space at all. The clock was what led to the world self-deletion.

Send only blocks and entities. Never send anything complex. If you send yourself into ME space but manage to escape the transparent box using enderpearls, you get a free unique void age that is still accessible via linking book even if the original spatial storage disk is lost or destroyed. Building there is safe. It also snows in ME space, although the complete lack of terrain and sky is inconvenient.

lol.
I see it making a decent jail, delete the persons inventory, teleport them into the pylon area, store it, set their spawnpoint in that dimension, and trash the disk.
tada!

it alternates stuff that's inside. if somethings inside your pylon area, it gets deleted, but comes back when you store the contents again.
I like that it store the state of a furnace and items on the ground as well.

the 16^3 is awesome for packing up a early-midgame house if you dump all the mod blocks into a vanilla chest, possibly using strongboxes to help out.

If you travel with whatever you stored, do you emerge w/ that, or just the blank cube?
I think it would be awesome if two things happened:
1) if you traveled in a 15^3, your box is 15^3, and contains the storage contents. no editing the contents though.
2) if the dimension was fleshed out (as long as the drive is in and the network powered of course) into something resembling the inside of a computer.

and how much power would you need for a full size 128 cube, assuming minimum pylons and max pylons?

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I figured out that, at the end, AE spatial storage isn't great for what I want. I can get almost the same effect from a bunch of Strongboxes and NEI inventory saving. Building the SCS in the new world is about as much effort as building the base! Wish there was an AE Creative Energy Cell to make that easier.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I figured out that, at the end, AE spatial storage isn't great for what I want. I can get almost the same effect from a bunch of Strongboxes and NEI inventory saving. Building the SCS in the new world is about as much effort as building the base! Wish there was an AE Creative Energy Cell to make that easier.

Don't forget about qCraft. Those quantum linked computers can teleport an area of 8^3 from my understanding. It is considerably cheaper and easier to deploy/power. I think I will begin building my base into 8^3 modules that only need a few connections made once they are teleported. That reminds me, I should check to see if there is a config option to make this larger. Teleport all the things :)

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget about qCraft. Those quantum linked computers can teleport an area of 8^3 from my understanding. It is considerably cheaper and easier to deploy/power. I think I will begin building my base into 8^3 modules that only need a few connections made once they are teleported. That reminds me, I should check to see if there is a config option to make this larger. Teleport all the things :)
I'll look into it. I'm entertained by the idea of starting a wishlist custom pack server and handing them out as starting bases.

Maes Stryker

Jul 29, 2019
How do I make Cloud half slabs using Forge Multipart. I've tried the ruby hand saw but its not working. I see them in NEI so there must be a way?

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
How do I make Cloud half slabs using Forge Multipart. I've tried the ruby hand saw but its not working. I see them in NEI so there must be a way?
Try one of the other saws probably the TiC saw is the one you want since afaik it adds the clouds in the first place, if you have WAILA look for the one in NEI that has Tinkers Construct in the mod area.
Edit:
Ok so it's BoP clouds they are found in the Promised Land so you need the portal open looks like.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Try one of the other saws probably the TiC saw is the one you want since afaik it adds the clouds in the first place, if you have WAILA look for the one in NEI that has Tinkers Construct in the mod area.
Edit:
Ok so it's BoP clouds they are found in the Promised Land so you need the portal open looks like.
Ti C doesn't add clouds, Natura does. Also, since when does Ti C have a saw?

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Nope Tinkers doesn't have a saw, my brain was clearly not working it's Project Red and Microblocks that add saws, sorry about that.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Another potential way is to use Carpenters blocks

If you make a carpenters slab, then apply a cloud to it, it should have a similar if not the same effect you were afterwards (although it will be transparent to light)